Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Nibs.com

Kratos

Default Nibs.com

Has anyone had a bad experience with Nibs.com. I order a Nakaya pen and no QC or any type of inspection was ever done. Even thought they claim that every pen gets inspected and tested. Pen arrived and it is not working at all. I cleaned it and used monteverde ink to lubricate and still skips and sometimes stops writing. Very dissappointed in Niba.com for misleading.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 1,820 Times in 797 Posts

Default Re: Nibs.com

Have you contacted them before posting this?

3. The Following User Says Thank You to carlos.q For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,793 Times in 1,644 Posts

Better get with them and have a talk, if you haven't already done so. I've never had a problem.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to VertOlive For This Useful Post:

Senior Member Waski_the_Squirrel's Avatar
    Thanks

I've only purchased one pen from them, so my experience is meaningless.

However, before criticizing them here in public...have you tried contacting them?

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Waski_the_Squirrel For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I bought one pen from them, so also somewhat meaningless, but I will say it was by far, the best out of the box experience i have ever had buying a pen in my life.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to stub For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kratos View Post
    Has anyone had a bad experience with Nibs.com. I order a Nakaya pen and no QC or any type of inspection was ever done. Even thought they claim that every pen gets inspected and tested. Pen arrived and it is not working at all. I cleaned it and used Monteverde ink to lubricate and still skips and sometimes stops writing. Very disappointed in Nibs.com for misleading.
    May seem obvious, but must ask, you have tried at least two different papers?
    Some pen/ink/paper combinations just seem to really not work sometimes.

By the way, from their website;
    "Unless otherwise requested, every fountain pen and nib unit we sell is carefully examined, filled with ink, tested on paper, and then optimized for the individual writing characteristics of the end user before it is cleaned and shipped. We take care to make sure that the fountain pens you buy from us will not just be beautiful to look at, but will also serve you for enjoyable day after day use." - http://www.nibs.com/fountain-pen-and...timization.htm
    So, that'd be the first point to bring up with them.
    Last edited by SIR; April 17th, 2016 at 02:00 AM.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to SIR For This Useful Post:

Kratos

Quote Originally Posted by SIR View Post
    Has anyone had a bad experience with Nibs.com. I order a Nakaya pen and no QC or any type of inspection was ever done. Even thought they claim that every pen gets inspected and tested. Pen arrived and it is not working at all. I cleaned it and used Monteverde ink to lubricate and still skips and sometimes stops writing. Very disappointed in Nibs.com for misleading.

"Unless otherwise requested, every fountain pen and nib unit we sell is carefully examined, filled with ink, tested on paper, and then optimized for the individual writing characteristics of the end user before it is cleaned and shipped. We take care to make sure that the fountain pens you buy from us will not just be beautiful to look at, but will also serve you for enjoyable day after day use." - http://www.nibs.com/fountain-pen-and...timization.htm
    I use Tomoe River paper. They informed me that I will have to mail it to them. Then it will take 2 to 3 weeks for them to work on it. I mean the hassle and shipping cost could have been saved if they did what they say they would. If they would have inked the pen and tested the pen. They would have realized that it is jacked up. I have a Homo Sapien that wrote right off the box. You would expect that the Nakaya would have done the same. Specially if Nibs.com did what they were supposed to. I don't know. I am very hesitant to send it back.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,712 Times in 1,610 Posts

I use Tomoe River paper. They informed me that I will have to mail it to them. Then it will take 2 to 3 weeks for them to work on it. I mean the hassle and shipping cost could have been saved if they did what they say they would. If they would have inked the pen and tested the pen. They would have realized that it is jacked up. I have a Homo Sapien that wrote right off the box. You would expect that the Nakaya would have done the same. Specially if Nibs.com did what they were supposed to. I don't know. I am very hesitant to send it back.

First, there is no evidence or indication that they did not test the pen before shipping.

Second, they have said that if you send the pen back they will fix it.

Third, yes, I once had a bad experience with a custom nib adjustment on a new pen from them. The pen would dry out and be hard to start if left overnight. I contacted them and the said if I shipped the pen back they would fix it.

I shipped the pen back and they fixed it.

First I suggest that YOU try a few basics.

Switch to a Platinum cartridge (at least one came with the pen) and see if the problem continues. After using a full Platinum cartridge, tell us how it is doing.
    Last edited by jar; April 17th, 2016 at 07:35 AM.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jar For This Useful Post:

krazyklod (April 17th, 2016)

gregamckinney

Have you made more than zero mistakes in your entire life?
    Would you like to be publicly pilloried for it/ them?
    Give them a chance to make it right before you (an unknown entity on this board) bad-mouth them (a well-known and well respected seller.)

greg

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gregamckinney View Post
    Give them a chance to make it right before you (an unknown entity on this board) bad-mouth them (a well-known and well respected seller.)

greg
    Three posts total, two whining and one asking for a lower price.

Thanks

greg
    Well said!

I've always said that you can only ever tell the quality of customer service when something goes wrong, it's easy to be good when everything is going right.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to krazyklod For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Has anyone had a bad experience with Nibs.com. I order a Nakaya pen and no QC or any type of inspection was ever done. Even thought they claim that every pen gets inspected and tested. Pen arrived and it is not working at all. I cleaned it and used monteverde ink to lubricate and still skips and sometimes stops writing. Very dissappointed in Niba.com for misleading.

I wouldn't gang up so quickly on this poster. If his issues are accurate, that imo is pretty bogus. High frustration is understandable, and to a certain extent so is ill conceived public venting.

A Platinum 3776 I ordered from nibs.com, wrote well for a while at the beginning of any writing session, and then constantly went dry. It was sent back, I waited patiently, and it returned corrected. I might have been a bit less patient if it were a Nakaya. Have ordered from them two Pilot Falcons since.
    Last edited by bluesea; April 17th, 2016 at 10:17 AM.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to bluesea For This Useful Post:

Kratos

greg
    Mistakes happen when u buy a $100 pilot pen or Twsbi mini. When you buy a $600 pen. You expect the seller to do what they say they were going to do. If they did that, they would have caught the mistake and we wouldn't be here chatting about this. I understand your feeling this way because maybe you work for them or John is a good friend of yours. However, as a consumer paying $600 to $1000 for a pen I expect them to check it and to complete a QC. Specially since that is one of your selling points to the public.

After much research, I have found out that I am not the only facing these types of issues with nibs.com.

Listen, I am sharing my experience with FP aficionado so they don't make the same mistake or to know what to expect shopping at nibs.com. It seems as if you are taking it personal.

Kratos

Quote Originally Posted by carlos.q View Post
    Have you contacted them before posting this?
    I did. But I will have to sent it back, pay for shipping and wait 2-3 weeks to get it back. Such a hassle for something that should have been done initally.

Kratos

Quote Originally Posted by Waski_the_Squirrel View Post
    I've only purchased one pen from them, so my experience is meaningless.

However, before criticizing them here in public...have you tried contacting them?
    Yes. They want me to send it back and wait 2-3 weeks to get it back. The $20 shipping is not the issue. It's the hassle of it all on top of not beign able to uae my pen.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,927 Times in 842 Posts

This should be in Market Feedback where the appropriate rules apply.
    Regards,
    Deb
    My Blog

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Deb For This Useful Post:

Jon Szanto (April 17th, 2016), Sailor Kenshin (April 18th, 2016)

Kratos

Quote Originally Posted by jar View Post

First, there is no evidence or indication that they did not test the pen before shipping.

Second, they have said that if you send the pen back they will fix it.

Third, yes, I once had a bad experience with a custom nib adjustment on a new pen from them. The pen would dry out and be hard to start if left overnight. I contacted them and the said if I shipped the pen back they would fix it.

I shipped the pen back and they fixed it.

First I suggest that YOU try a few basics.

Switch to a Platinum cartridge (at least one came with the pen) and see if the problem continues. After using a full Platinum cartridge, tell us how it is doing.
    I've tried that already. It is obvious that they did not check, tested or qc'd the pen. What do you think this blog is about? This is not my first fountain pen. I am a collecter and user of fountain pens. You name it I have it.

Thanks

How is the pen "jacked up"?
    How is it you are so certain it wasn't tested before it was sent out?
    You aren't merely claiming here that the pen you got is not working or not how you like it, or whatever, you are claiming that they never inked, tested, or adjust the pen as the said they would. How do you know that? What precisely is wrong with the pen?
    Could it have been "jacked up" (whatever that means) during shipping?

28. The Following User Says Thank You to stub For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I've tried that already. It is obvious that they did not check, tested or qc'd the pen. What do you think this blog is about? This is not my first fountain pen. I am a collecter and user of fountain pens. You name it I have it.

It's not obvious that they did not check, test or qc the pen. Far from that.

I suggest yet again, switch to a Platinum cartridge and use that.

Stop using the converter for now and do YOUR due diligence.

If the problem continues simply return the pen along with writing samples showing the issue, but I still am convinced the issue is with the user, not the pen.

Kratos

Quote Originally Posted by stub View Post
    How is the pen "jacked up"?
    How is it you are so certain it wasn't tested before it was sent out?
    You aren't merely claiming here that the pen you got is not working or not how you like it, or whatever, you are claiming that they never inked, tested, or adjust the pen as the said they would. How do you know that? What precisely is wrong with the pen?
    Could it have been "jacked up" (whatever that means) during shipping?
    Good question. The pen skips constantly and sometimes doesn't even write. We are not talking about hard start. It just doesn't start. I would have to force ink from the converter so that it would start writing again. A paragraph later it will not write again. I very much doubt that shipping was the cause of this.