Thread: Looking for an Eversharp frountain pen

Thanks

Default Looking for an Eversharp frountain pen

I am just getting into this and I don't want to spend a lot of money, but I am looking for a 40s era pen in good condition for the 20 dollars or under. If anyone knows where I can get a vintage pen for that price or about I would appreciate it if you direct me to it or if you have one you want to cull from the herd. Thanks.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,731 Times in 1,976 Posts

Default Re: Looking for an Eversharp frountain pen

You can get a unrestored 40's vintage pens in a decent condition with that budget.
    Unless you restore it yourself or have someone do it for free, it'll stretch your 20 USD budget.

To put it in perspective, a new rubber ink sac alone is about $2 before shipping, unless you buy 50-to-100 of them at the same time.
    - Will
    Unique and restored vintage pens: Redeem Pens

Thanks

I think you'll have difficulty with that search if you want decent condition, unfortunately I have a skyline, in not astounding condition, that I got for $50... But even that was a good deal

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by schweitzerp View Post
    I think you'll have difficulty with that search if you want decent condition, unfortunately I have a skyline, in not astounding condition, that I got for $50... But even that was a good deal

I picked one up from Peyton street pens for 60 delivered. Seems to be a nice example and its fully restored. By that I mean its in full working condition.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks

Yeah, that's about similar to mine

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by edteach View Post
    I am just getting into this and I don't want to spend a lot of money, but I am looking for a 40s era pen in good condition for the 20 dollars or under. If anyone knows where I can get a vintage pen for that price or about I would appreciate it if you direct me to it or if you have one you want to cull from the herd. Thanks.
    I am very very fond of Eversharps and tend to pick them up willy nilly. When you do this, you see where a particular brand's exposures are. In the case of Eversharps, I was warned, and it is absolutely true, that the barrels are very easy to shatter when you are getting the sections in and out. I have at least two waiting for me to take the plunge and either send them to someone who knows what he's doing or try to solvent weld them myself, and ideally in a case like that you also put a sleeve in the pen barrel which then requires lathe work - let us say it is jumping in at the deep end and hoping for success.

I am not saying it can't be done, but I am saying that you might want to start with something else. I have a bunch of originally cheap celluloid pens from the 40's, I love them, but they pretty much always need a new sack and distressingly often a new pressure bar as well. If you get them really really cheap they will also be missing tassies, levers, clips and other odd pen-limbs. While this gives you the chance to order a nice pen clip from somewhere and use my shank-button-as-tassie trick to close up the ends, it may or may not be what you want.

I've recently seen Wearevers on the auction site, advertised as working and re-sacced, in the 20 dollar range. They do not have gold nibs. Then again, if you are just starting, a Wearever nib is not a bad nib to start with because they are pretty robust.

So... if you want a working Vintage pen for 20 dollars, probably one of those Wearevers. If you want a working Eversharp, save up a bit and get one for somewhere between 60 and whatever some guy who has one thinks the traffic will bear. If you want a mild adventure, get a Wearever for ten bucks and be prepared to need a pressure bar and a sac. If you want a unpredictable adventure, get the cheapest Eversharp you can find and have at it, gently.

I should now go and make one essential phone call before trying once again to figure out how many sacs I need today and how many pressure bars of which sizes I should save up for...

Edited because "Waterman" and "Wearever" are not the same pens...