Thread: I was at a vintage store today and ran across a combo pen by sheaffer

Thanks

Default I was at a vintage store today and ran across a combo pen by sheaffer

I saw it and loved how it looked. It was a combination of pencil and fountain pen lever style. The cap matched the body and the pencil worked well. It has lead in it. The nib looks very good. They were asking 25 for it and I bargained it down to 20. Not sure if I over paid but it called to me. I may have it restored. Is it worth restoring?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks
    Thanked 11,090 Times in 4,026 Posts

Default Re: I was at a vintage store today and ran across a combo pen by sheaffer

It's in rough shape but that was a very decent price for it. Restored, it will be a handsome little writer.

And guess what? Your pen/pencil might right in this photo, taken at the Sheaffer factory - note the woman in the foreground is working on an entire tray of these items:

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks

Default Re: I was at a vintage store today and ran across a combo pen by sheaffer

It has A. COHN inscribed on it, and then Sheaffer Pen Co. Iowa address and what looks like a pat no.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,090 Times in 4,026 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by edteach View Post
    It has A. COHN inscribed on it, and then Sheaffer Pen Co. Iowa address and what looks like a pat no.
    The first is someone's name that they had inscribed, the rest is a standard barrel imprint (branding).
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin