Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recommend me a nib

Thanks

Default Recommend me a nib

I just inked up my Esterbrook for the first time this week.

I really love the look and feel of this pen and everything seems to work really well mechanically.

But, I am less in love with the nib. It's a 9556 which according to an old chart I found is supposed to be "Fine, firm".

Me, I have found that I really want/need/love EX/Fine nibs - the one on my Parker 25 is so far, quite honestly, the only fountain pen nib I like and the only pen I use regularly. I love how it writes and both in terms of line width and wetness (or lack of it).

Having said that...I would of course like to USE some of my other pens...such as the Esterbrook J.

I attached some photos below that maybe can illustrate a bit about what I seek
    (The paper is a Calepino notbook and the squares on the paper is about 5x5 mm).

Note: I know everyone is different about what type of nibs they like so the below is of course just my own personal preferences and by no means am I slamming wider/wetter nibs/pens - it's just a reflection of what I personally like/dislike.

First time I wrote with it...it was... "Ugh, it's just like the Parker 51 that I dislike so much"

So, I picked up my Parker 51 and 25 and did a one page of comparisons...

Based on the above is there a (9*** preferably) nib that would get me closer to the writing shown with the Parker 25?

Thanks and appreciate any input/suggestions
    Last edited by Darkbulb; April 21st, 2016 at 04:18 PM.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Darkbulb For This Useful Post:

Mr. Reader (April 22nd, 2016), Pira (April 24th, 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,703 Times in 1,972 Posts

Default Re: Recommend me a nib

Try 1555 Gregg nib.

On another note, give it time. I remember back when I just got started with fountain pen I can't stand M or B nibs and always look for F.
    But now, I can write just fine with M nib and I love B as long as it has some stub characteristics.
    - Will
    Unique and restored vintage pens: Redeem Pens

Thanks
    Thanked 1,818 Times in 797 Posts

Check out the chart in this page:
    http://www.esterbrook.net/nibs.shtml

It seems you are in the search of a 9450, 9550 or 9555 nib.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by penwash View Post
    Try 1555 Gregg nib.

On another note, give it time. I remember back when I just got started with fountain pen I can't stand M or B nibs and always look for F.
    But now, I can write just fine with M nib and I love B as long as it has some stub characteristics.
    Quote Originally Posted by carlos.q View Post
    Check out the chart in this page:
    http://www.esterbrook.net/nibs.shtml

It seems you are in the search of a 9450, 9550 or 9555 nib.

Thanks!

Thanks

I found two nibs at Anderson pens that I picked up and will see how they perform;
    One 1555, and
    One 9550

Shipped it came to about $23 which seemed fair for the two.

Now to figure out how to change nibs...but I hear that it's not all that hard to do.

Thanks

That chart carlos.q shared is well worth bookmarking...and keep in mind that you can use vintage Osmiroid nibs ~ and for EF seek out the Osmiroid Copperplate, which has a bit of flex...but yes the 9550 is a nice fine nib as well. These are the F ones I keep in my pen...the other pens have Osmiroid Itallic nibs in them.

Nibs ~ ref by Pira Urosevic, on Flickr
    Last edited by Pira; April 21st, 2016 at 05:26 PM.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Pira For This Useful Post:

Mr. Reader (April 22nd, 2016)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Darkbulb View Post
    I found two nibs at Anderson pens that I picked up and will see how they perform;
    One 1555, and
    One 9550

Shipped it came to about $23 which seemed fair for the two.

Now to figure out how to change nibs...but I hear that it's not all that hard to do.

....the nib 'unit' unscrews. There should be a youtube video about the how to in case you are worried and want a step by step visual on the process.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Pira View Post
    That chart carlos.q shared is well worth bookmarking...and keep in mind that you can use vintage Osmiroid nibs ~ and for EF seek out the Osmiroid Copperplate, which has a bit of flex...but yes the 9550 is a nice fine nib as well. These are the F ones I keep in my pen...the other pens have Osmiroid Itallic nibs in them.

Thanks.
    I picked up the 1551 as an 'extra' as it was just $6.
    Very excited to see if I through nib-change can get this pen to write the way I want.

Thanks

Received the two nibs from Anderson's pens this week and am really looking forward to trying them out.
    "Unfortunately" I had just filled up the pen and I assume it has to be empty when I change out the nibs?

Thanks
    Thanked 4,654 Times in 1,132 Posts

Keep the pen oriented nib-upwards and you should be fine.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to catbert For This Useful Post:

Darkbulb (April 26th, 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,703 Times in 1,972 Posts

You can change the nib with the pen filled, as catbert said, keep the pen (and nibs) pointing upwards as you screw in and out the old and new nib units.

In addition, if you have an Estie that has a dodgy lever, you can fill your pen this way also. Just eye-drop (or blunt syringe) the ink into the ink sac directly when you have the nib unit out.
    - Will
    Unique and restored vintage pens: Redeem Pens

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to penwash For This Useful Post:

Darkbulb (April 26th, 2016), Pira (April 27th, 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,528 Times in 1,299 Posts

I have an Osmiroid Copperplate in one of my four Esties. The nib is a little scratchy and really demands a light hand. The other 3 pens are fitted with Osmiroid italic nibs. I have yet to find a decent Esterbrook nib. Just unlucky I guess!

Thanks

I agree with Empty Of Clouds regarding the Osmiroid Copperplate nib. I feel like I have to be a bit careful with it. I have managed to write somewhat quickly with it ( without flexing ) comfortably, but I don't think it would be a nib I would write page after page with. For me, I think I would treat it like a true copperplate nib: slow, careful writing. A nice nib to play or practice with.
    Darkbulb, have you written with the ones you have purchased yet? What do you think?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Anne View Post
    Darkbulb, have you written with the ones you have purchased yet? What do you think?
    Not yet, hoping to get to try them out tomorrow.
    My goal is to find a smooth nib that is less wide/wet than the 9556 that I have used so far.
    We shall see....

Thanks

I am in suspense then ... I hope you like them, they do look like what you would be going for - at least the finer side of nibs anyway.

Thanks

If you want to try more nibs, I have some of the cheaper ones and I can bring them on Sunday if you want to try them -- 2442, 2668, 1555, 1551, 1550 and 2550.
    Pens and Perspective for all hands, great and small (including pen reviews by the small handed!)

Thanks

As Penwash and others said...you can change the nibs in an inked pen, if you hold them nib upward. Just keep in mind that the unit you are removing will be inky and have a safe spot for it immediately.

When changing nibs, if I am having trouble 'getting a grip' on the nib unit and turning it, I use a palm sized square of Grip Non-Adhesive Shelf Liner (it's that rubbery, nubbly stuff) to gain purchase on the nib assembly. I use the same stuff to grasp nibs in my dip nib holders in order to remove them or get a hold of lids on jars to open them. Keep in mind you are not 'forcing' something...just helping to get a grip on it.

...a strip of this stuff works well to keep your pens from rolling round on your desk too, but I digress.

Yes the Copperplate is not for casual writing and should be treated as a dip nib in regard to the pressure and speed with which you write.

None the less...welcome to EstieWorld.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,254 Times in 562 Posts

As Penwash and others said...you can change the nibs in an inked pen, if you hold them nib upward. Just keep in mind that the unit you are removing will be inky and have a safe spot for it immediately.

When changing nibs, if I am having trouble 'getting a grip' on the nib unit and turning it, I use a palm sized square of Grip Non-Adhesive Shelf Liner (it's that rubbery, nubbly stuff) to gain purchase on the nib assembly. I use the same stuff to grasp nibs in my dip nib holders in order to remove them or get a hold of lids on jars to open them. Keep in mind you are not 'forcing' something...just helping to get a grip on it.

...a strip of this stuff works well to keep your pens from rolling round on your desk too, but I digress.

Yes the Copperplate is not for casual writing and should be treated as a dip nib in regard to the pressure and speed with which you write.

None the less...welcome to EstieWorld.
    Every Estie Engineer should have a number of samples of this stuff. It is most excellent for gripping and holding the barrel as well as the nib assemblies. Two small squares 2 or 3 inches on a side will set you up for a long time.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Scrawler For This Useful Post:

Pira (April 27th, 2016)

Thanks

Writing samples. I need to update that, I have some more nibs now.

From that I'd suggest the 9048, but that one tends to be pricier. It's "flex", but not so much that your nib would be out of control.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Empty_of_Clouds View Post
    I have yet to find a decent Esterbrook nib. Just unlucky I guess!
    I am in that club too. I am starting to hate my Esterbrooks because of it.

Making it worse, back in the day I was a music copyist. Many of our main tools were Esterbrooks (and Osmiroids) and so I know they can be good but for the life of me I can't find a nib I don't hate.

Every time I buy a new nib, I pop it is in force myself to use it and pretend "it's not so bad" and end up running back to my Sheaffers in relief.

A lot of the ones that I'm looking for or just really super hard to find. Stubs, mediums, signature stubs, etc.