Thread: $50-$150 Recommendation?

Thanks

Default $50-$150 Recommendation?

Hi all,

I'm pretty new to the fountain pen scene, and I've just joined this group yesterday: For the past 4 years, I have been writing daily with a TWSBI 540 (posted) and have grown to love its heft. I have some Lamys and a Waverly, but they feel too lightweight, and I don't use them much.

I'm wondering if anyone could recommend some pens in the price range given above that are also considerably heavy. I'm hoping to add two to the arsenal: one extra fine flex and one stub.

I'm thinking about ordering the stub unit from TWSBI and just changing it out intermittently with the broad nib, but I'd like to have a full time extra-fine-flex (or semi-flex). For this, I'm considering the Namiki Falcon Aluminum.

Thoughts?

Thanks, and glad to be a part of the community.

mth

Thanks
    Thanked 3,711 Times in 1,610 Posts

Default Re: $50-$150 Recommendation?

Welcome home. Pull up a stump and set a spell. Wish I could help but I'm not familiar with the Namiki Falcon.

Thanks

You post your 540?!?!?

Thanks

Parson's Essential.

Lamy 2k in steel maybe used?

It's light do you might not like it but I preferred the CH912 to the Falcon and you can get that with the FA nib though I enjoy the SF/SFM/SM more. None are true flex but springy. At the price range you mention I personally think the pilot custom heritage 912 is the best pen you can buy.

But if you want heft you are probably looking for brass barrel pens like the PE or maybe an old Waterman Man 100/200.

Thanks

10 Jinhao 159s. Jinhaos are pretty heavy. Or just 1 and pay to get it stubbed. But like mentioned above, the Parsons are heavy the same way and come with more nib options.

Thanks

How much "flex" do you want? Some line variation -- or full flex? For flex, if you don't mind tinkering, I'd do the Zebra G + Jinhao mod onto one of the heavier Jinhaos. (I don't remember if my 450 or 750 is heavier, but they're both on the heavy side)
    Pens and Perspective for all hands, great and small (including pen reviews by the small handed!)

Thanks

+1 for the Parson's Essential-the nibs are lovely and I can recommend the stub
    Some days, it's hardly worth chewing through the leather straps....

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by stub View Post
    You post your 540?!?!?
    Ha ha! Yes, it's huge and heavy, but it sure is awesome!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,570 Times in 695 Posts

I prefer fairly light pens, so I won't be much help, but I can comment a little on the Falcon. I have the plastic version, and I do like the nib; I have the medium. The nibs would be the same in the aluminum version, the difference is the body material, and also I believe the metal Falcon will take the larger CON-70 converter. Don't expect an unmodified Falcon nib to have much flex; mine doesn't. There are sellers who will do an after market modification to give them more flex; I hear that nibs.com has a good reputation, but have never done business there myself. The unmodified nib is, as they claim, a bit soft, that's all.

A Pilot Vanishing Point can be had in the price range you mention and is a fairly heavy pen (I prefer the lighter Capless Decimo). It's very nice for what it is, but some people have an issue with the clip at the "wrong" end, and I doubt if there is much chance of getting one of the standard nibs modified for flex (could be wrong). Nice broad and stub nib units are available for it, though.

I'll just mention my own favorite Pilot, the Custom Heritage 92, which can be bought for under $150 at Jet Pens, or some Japanese eBay and Amazon dealers. I have the FM (fine medium) nib, and love it. But again, I wouldn't call it a heavy pen, and I don't know of a stub option unless you get a custom regrind. I think there is an FA flex nib that you can get when buying directly from Japan, but I haven't used it and can't comment on how it works.
    Last edited by Kaputnik; April 27th, 2016 at 01:12 PM.
    "If a thing is worth doing, it is worth doing badly."
    G.K. Chesterton

Thanks

Default $50-$150 Recommendation?

I don't know whether you can still find these, but I bought one from Chatterly Luxuries; see
    https://chatterleyluxuries.com/produ...en-red-laquer/

This is an older Danitrio, looks quite good and is heavier than most. The nib is only ok, but writes smoothly. It's on my "consider swapping the nib" list.

Edit: I found out these are sometimes called "Danitrio for Sharper Edge".

Fernando Gouvêa -- fqgouvea@roadrunner.com
    Last edited by fqgouvea; April 28th, 2016 at 04:30 PM.

Thanks

Thanks for the advice, all. Nice to be pointed in some direction!