Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Greg Minuskin Service. NG.

Thanks

Default Re: Greg Minuskin Service. NG.

Quote Originally Posted by stub View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Anne View Post
    I really hope we see a happy ending for this. This has to be an easy fix for someone out there that thrives on perplexing problems.
    Thank you. Though I doubt it. Not a lot of hope based on my last few exchanges.
    Have you sought revenge? Greg's site appears to be offline... rumors abound...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Flounder View Post
    [snip]
    Greg claims to not read the internets anymore and not respond.
    Mr. Minuskin has taken the time to post about one of his nib repairs on FPN today.
    Let me rephrase that. Clearly he USES the internet (he sells on it) what I mean to say I saw an interview with him once where he says that he does not respond to these types of threads (which appear on reddit, fpg, etc).

I didn't mean that he literally doesn't use the internet. And I am not really sure what that link has to do with what is at issue here. I went to great pains to avoid Ad hominem attacks and to make it clear that I thought his repair work and nib grinding was excellent. That wasn't at issue.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,528 Times in 1,299 Posts

Indeed. This thread http://fpgeeks.com/forum/showthread....e-disappointed is probably the one most people are familiar with.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Empty_of_Clouds For This Useful Post:

mhosea (May 1st, 2016)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lsmith42 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Anne View Post
    I really hope we see a happy ending for this. This has to be an easy fix for someone out there that thrives on perplexing problems.
    Thank you. Though I doubt it. Not a lot of hope based on my last few exchanges.
    Have you sought revenge? Greg's site appears to be offline... rumors abound...
    Despite my interest in bourgeois fountain pens, I am working class. I grew up poor. We have an unspoken rule that you don't fuck with a person's ability to pay his rent and put food on the table. I am angry. I dislike. I wouldn't do this.

A little googling turns up a high volume of anger directed his way. Could be anyone. Could be random.

I don't wish him ill. I just wish him to be nicer and change his policies and the way he treats his customers.

So for the record, no. It wasn't me. I don't even experience any Schadenfreude over it.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,113 Times in 573 Posts

I too tried to look at the original for sale ad on Greg's website. Unfortunately the web domain has been reported as containing malware and if off-line.

Odd, I visited the site yesterday and it was fine.

Anyone have the original ad cashed and can post it here?

Farmboy

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Farmboy View Post
    I too tried to look at the original for sale ad on Greg's website. Unfortunately the web domain has been reported as containing malware and if off-line.

Odd, I visited the site yesterday and it was fine.

Anyone have the original ad cashed and can post it here?

Farmboy
    It's tempting to just go back and get it. I just clicked past the Malware warning and didn't have any issues but I don't want to do that again. I am sure it will be back up sometime soon.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,819 Times in 786 Posts

It's tempting to just go back and get it. I just clicked past the Malware warning and didn't have any issues but I don't want to do that again. I am sure it will be back up sometime soon.
    I keep an otherwise empty Linux Mint VM set up for that kind of thing. Whenever a new release of Mint comes out, I just delete it and make a new one.

I ran into a supposed malware infection reading some of the older pages of Rory Feek's blog (thislifeilive.com). I doubt there's anyone in the world with a revenge motive to infect that blog. It just happens.
    --
    Mike

Thanks

His site is back up now. If you go back to page 3 the Waterman is there.

I also happen to be holding another pen from that page (fantastic Sheaffer set, fills writes no issues).

Thanks

[snip]
    Mr. Minuskin has taken the time to post about one of his nib repairs on FPN today.
    Let me rephrase that. Clearly he USES the internet (he sells on it) what I mean to say I saw an interview with him once where he says that he does not respond to these types of threads (which appear on reddit, fpg, etc).

I didn't mean that he literally doesn't use the internet. And I am not really sure what that link has to do with what is at issue here. I went to great pains to avoid Ad hominem attacks and to make it clear that I thought his repair work and nib grinding was excellent. That wasn't at issue.
    I'm merely pointing out the fact that Mr Minuskin is prepared to instigate, and engage, in public dialogue regarding his site, so long as it's on a platform where any negative criticism is discouraged.
    Latest pen related post @ flounders-mindthots.blogspot.com : '70s Pilot Elite pocket pen review

Thanks

I managed to go look at the ad for the pen in question. Lot of consternation for a $65 pen.

Try and replace the converter. I recently had an Edson doing something similar, the converter was worn and not making a tight seal and ink kept oozing out.

I've also observed ink change colors when exposed to certain metals.

Best-

Farmboy

Thanks

I managed to go look at the ad for the pen in question. Lot of consternation for a $65 pen.
    Missing the point ENTIRELY.

So tempted to just post verbatim the back and forth we had. You'd all get it then.

$65, $365, the point was he treated a many time repeat customer like crap and pretty much made returning a problem item impossible. And the 2 suggestions you gave were already 2 more than he did. He simply did not want to hear shit from me after the sale.

So again. If you buy a pen from this guy and you have issues, you are probably going to be stuck with it and if by some miracle you
    get to return the pen after a postal investigation, he's going to charge you a 15% restocking fee. Maybe that is counts as awesome service where you are from but from where I am standing that is buyer beware.

I've also observed ink change colors when exposed to certain metals.
    I have see that too but I have also seen that old Waterman Violet ink. That is exactly what this is.

I have also seen old Man 100s and 200s and Gentleman pens that leak around the section (google it others have had this issue too)
    in both places I see ink.

I'll try the converter/cart switch, though the converter screws in tight and is in good condition so I will be surprised but it is certainly worth a shot.

Thanks

I have been alerted to the miss by another kind board member.

I believe it would be more accurate to say I merely see the point from another angle.

I do believe it is within standard etiquette to post email you authored tough posting the replies on an open forum would not be within those boundaries.

Todd

Thanks

I believe it would be more accurate to say I merely see the point from another angle.
    Yeah. Look if you are buddies with the guy or bought (as I did till recently) a dozen or so pens w/o issue or he saved a beloved old pen with one of those heroic rescues he is uniquely able to do then you might see it differently.

I do believe it is within standard etiquette to post email you authored tough posting the replies on an open forum would not be within those boundaries.
    Which is why I didn't and won't post either but that is almost beside the point. Either you believe me or think I am full of it. I suppose if you don't know me you have no idea if I am just making stuff up, but I am not and feel like I have been pretty even measured and not resorted to personal attacks and name calling. I am a pretty reasonable person. If you accept the account I have laid out, I have a hard time seeing how you would see another angle. Unless you doubt my veracity.

Tables turned, I would just say, "okay this guy is not a newb, he seems to know what he is doing, is a many many time repeat customer w/o a single issue (that is easy to check, just grep your inbox) and is likely to just keep buying pens from me and recommending me to friends so maybe I should offer to take the pen back and not be difficult and weird about it?" Ain't that business school 101?

But for some context you could google around for other used pen sellers and repair folks like Susan Wirth, Sarj Minhas, Ron Zorn, Rick Kranz, Ryan Michelson, Rick Propas, Danny Fudge, Ariel Kullock, Speerbob, Penfisher andothers and then google around for Greg.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,819 Times in 786 Posts

Is there a bat signal for that?
    --
    Mike

16. The Following User Says Thank You to mhosea For This Useful Post:

TSherbs (May 5th, 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,189 Times in 1,419 Posts

[snip]
    Write him over there, stub. Go for it!

Thanks
    Thanked 11,039 Times in 4,010 Posts

You know, all this revolves around human beings.

And while humans can be good at some things, they can be not so good at others. Sometimes two people do a good job repairing pens, but one of them is better than the other at the art of communication and customer satisfaction.

I don't think it is too much more complicated than that. Unfortunate, yes; frustrating, certainly, but not particularly complex. And we all need a place to vent, and it can be done here.

Anything else?
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

penwash (May 4th, 2016), scrivelry (May 9th, 2016)

Thanks

Here's some food for thought (a cognitive dissonance of a sort, if you will)...

When frequenting a brick & mortar store, the transaction is generally very buyer-centric, where the buyer is estimating whether or not they want to do business with the seller (unless, of course, you're a homophobic bakery in Oregon ready for a huge lawsuit).

When frequenting an on-line store, the transaction is much more balanced, in that as much as the buyer is estimating whether or not they want to do business with the seller, the seller also has the opportunity to estimate whether or not they want to do business with the buyer.

You have succeeded in informing not only Greg, but many others, as to what type of buyer you are capable of being. Many of us know personally many of the sellers you mention (including Greg, and it's well-known that he can be prickly at times, even to other dealers), and we know that many of them know each other, including Greg. One should assume that as much as buyers may talk to each other about sellers, that the inverse is also probably very true (albeit less publicly, I would assume), especially with online experiences.

The pen world is larger than what you see on FPN or Geeks, but still very, very small...

To him who has ears, let him hear...

Thanks
    Thanked 6,703 Times in 1,972 Posts

You know what I observe?

In this thread, again and again stub made his case very carefully with all the details and, really, showing a lot of respect for Mr. Minuskin.
    Plus, most importantly, alerting others of what experience one had with one of the well-known sellers, is not a crime last time I checked, so I'm a bit surprised that some here rose up in Greg's defense, I would say, with a rather personal tone.

It is one thing to say:
    "Y'know, that's our ol'Joe, at times he can be gruff, just bear with him"
    versus
    "You are showing your true nature by daring to say negative things about our beloved and dear Joe"

The former makes provision that ol'Joe is human, the latter, is just plain defensive knee-jerk reaction. One is healthy in a community, the other... not so much.
    - Will
    Unique and restored vintage pens: Redeem Pens

22. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to penwash For This Useful Post:

conib (June 1st, 2016), scrivelry (May 9th, 2016), TSherbs (May 5th, 2016)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by penwash View Post
    I'm a bit surprised that some here rose up in Greg's defense, I would say, with a rather personal tone.
    I went looking for statements (of any tone) offered in Greg's defense... couldn't find them... found a couple of positive counterpoint experiences, but no defenses...

Thanks

Look, I think this has run its course.

All I can do is add my voice to the sizable choir of those that had a bad experience and warn others buyer beware. You could get stuck with a pen that doesn't work if you buy from here and be treated pretty shabbily in the process.

This forum is marked:

"Forum: Market Feedback
    Share your experience, good or bad, with a company, restorer, or nibmeister"

That's all I did.

Believe it or not I didn't really want to.

But that is all the power I have.

25. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to stub For This Useful Post:

dr.grace (May 7th, 2016), Neo (May 6th, 2016), oldstoat (May 9th, 2016), TSherbs (May 5th, 2016)