Thread: A Love Letter to Letters - Remembering the Mail

Thanks
    Thanked 6,390 Times in 2,505 Posts

Default A Love Letter to Letters - Remembering the Mail

I stumbled upon this on Huffington Post: A Love Letter to Letters - Remembering the Mail

Fred

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to FredRydr For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (May 11th, 2016), Crazyorange (May 3rd, 2016), Jon Szanto (May 3rd, 2016), Morgaine (May 11th, 2016), Neo (May 3rd, 2016), VertOlive (May 7th, 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,016 Times in 837 Posts

Default Re: A Love Letter to Letters - Remembering the Mail

I had forgotten about Columbia tape club......fond memories.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Crazyorange For This Useful Post:

Mr. Reader (May 10th, 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 10,367 Times in 3,978 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by FredRydr View Post
    I stumbled upon this on Huffington Post: A Love Letter to Letters - Remembering the Mail

Fred
    I don't think I've ever sent you Yosemite, Disneyland or Canada. I need to shape up.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,703 Times in 1,972 Posts

I was with the author until...

"And get ready to bust out your Bic pen, bubbly handwriting and notebook paper"

The lady needs to get some fountain pen love
    - Will
    Unique and restored vintage pens: Redeem Pens

Thanks
    Thanked 11,042 Times in 4,011 Posts

This!

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

Crazyorange (May 4th, 2016), Lady Onogaro (May 3rd, 2016), Mr. Reader (May 10th, 2016), VegHead (May 7th, 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,390 Times in 2,505 Posts

I like the family huddled over the fishbowl. I wonder how long that lasted before Dad wandered off to the garage.

Fred

Thanks
    Thanked 3,790 Times in 1,644 Posts

Jeez. So glad I did not keep those love letters. Awkward!
    "Nolo esse salus sine vobis ...” —St. Augustine

Thanks

I remember writing letters - pages upon pages of letters - to friends in camp when I was home, and one letter in excess of a dozen pages to a friend while I was at camp. Reportedly this was read with a sense of astonishment - 16 pages! It's only now that I think about it that I realize this person, practically a family member when we were all teenagers, has probably not to this day written a total of 16 pages of any one thing in their life.

My college mailbox was checked multiple times each day. I wrote ferociously all through those four years. I wrote and people wrote back and I waited for those letters... One friend who wrote to me my semester abroad had such distinctive handwriting that the barrista who also put the mail up would tell me "Your friend with the precise handwriting sent you a letter" when there was one in the mailbox - the amount of mail I sent and received must have been unusual.

Real letters continued, increasingly sporadically, until the end of the 90's or so. Now, I get a newsletter from that old friend once a quarter. He has been sending these out for a quarter century, and they are so amusing that people who have never even met him have asked to be on his mailing list after seeing copies people they know have received. They are just the things that have happened over the preceding few months, and the family does not lead a celebrity lifestyle - you can read about their latest car repair, and when Frank at the Auto Repair finally decides their car is done for, that nothing he can do will keep it going much longer, how they decide to pick a new one. They write about the latest trip to New Jersey and how much scrapple they brought back. They write about the horrible nicknames they have for their children which they think are cute, and all sorts of things of a similar import. They write all this down and their friends and former neighbors and total strangers read it and find it fascinating - it's amazing, because if I tried that I probably couldn't get my own mother to read it. Now that my aunt is gone, that, and birthday cards from my mother and mother-in-law are the only personal mail I get.

I keep meaning to write to my nieces. I might start today. I tried once, and even with stamped addressed envelopes included never got a response, but you never know. They're older now... they might have something to say...

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to scrivelry For This Useful Post:

Crazyorange (May 10th, 2016), Morgaine (May 11th, 2016), VegHead (May 11th, 2016)

Thanks

Just this week I received a letter from a 20's-something niece. Handwritten. It was poorly written, spelling errors and I won't mention grammar. I've never felt more privileged to receive a letter ever before, to think that she sat down and wrote this letter to me even knowing all her shortfalls. It is she who has reached out to correspond, by hand, and wrote that it's not what we do anymore but should. So I replied today in my best FP cursive hand that I could muster, giving her a letter pin kind of three A4 sheets. Finally, I have someone to actually write to ...

14. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to VegHead For This Useful Post:

Bogon07 (May 11th, 2016), Crazyorange (May 11th, 2016), Morgaine (May 11th, 2016), oldstoat (May 11th, 2016), scrivelry (May 11th, 2016)

Thanks

We all have to start somewhere! It is hard work promoting snailmail to friends and family.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Morgaine For This Useful Post:

scrivelry (May 11th, 2016)