Thread: First Nib Holders Fresh Off the Lathe

Thanks

Default First Nib Holders Fresh Off the Lathe

Hey y'all!

I recently got into turning with the help of my good friend Jonathon Brooks from Carolina Pen Company in Aiken, SC. I picked up my first lathe back in December as a Christmas gift to myself and started hacking away at some pen blanks and stuff. Well, I sold my first one today and couldn't be happier with this new adventure. Here are my first three "good" holders. They're not perfect, but I'm working at it little by little. I'd appreciate any feedback you guys can offer up.

In addition to Jonathon's awesome instruction and help, I've found the pen making threads here very helpful so thanks for that!

Finally, these are Calico Koi Alumilite, some sort of burl wood and a white/silver Alumilite all from Jonathon Brooks. His materials are just stunning, are they not? Hard to make anything bad from these guys.

Best,
    Matthew

NIB HOLDERS-W-0787.jpg
    Three old hunters were walking through the woods one day. One looks over and says, "Windy, isn't it?" Another says, "I thought it was Thursday." The third says, "Me too! The heck with hunting, let's go grab a beer!"

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to heymatthew For This Useful Post:

earthdawn (May 3rd, 2016), Jon Szanto (May 3rd, 2016), rpsyed (May 6th, 2016), sgtstretch (May 3rd, 2016)

Thanks

Default Re: First Nib Holders Fresh Off the Lathe

Can't decide which I like best! Looking forward to seeing what comes off your lathe.

Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 2,529 Times in 1,299 Posts

That Calico is delicious! I have a pen on request to be made in one of Mr Brook's Ghost Koi alumilites. I hadn't thought about the possibility of a pen holder to accompany it.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by stonerman33 View Post
    Can't decide which I like best! Looking forward to seeing what comes off your lathe.

Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus using Tapatalk
    Thanks so much!!!
    Three old hunters were walking through the woods one day. One looks over and says, "Windy, isn't it?" Another says, "I thought it was Thursday." The third says, "Me too! The heck with hunting, let's go grab a beer!"

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Empty_of_Clouds View Post
    That Calico is delicious! I have a pen on request to be made in one of Mr Brook's Ghost Koi alumilites. I hadn't thought about the possibility of a pen holder to accompany it.
    Jonathon does make some stunning materials! Reach out to him about the holder. If he has the blank available, he'll turn one for you, I'm sure!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,529 Times in 1,299 Posts

Hmm, that's an idea. My pen is going to be made by Renee Meeks of Scriptorium Pens. If I had thought for a moment I could have added a straight nib holder in the same material for and extra $50 -$60.