Thread: Pen ID... [PICTURE HEAVY]

Thanks

Default Pen ID... [PICTURE HEAVY]

Hi all!! First off... sorry about the image sizes. I might be young, but technology eludes me. If this is a problem, please let me know and I'll do my best to fix anything. Anyways... I picked up this pen today at a flea market for 5 bucks. I thought it was cute, and so I brought it home. I did a quick clean on the nib to read the markings, but it didn't tell me much (I'm a newbie :/). I thought I'd share some pictures in hopes some others could tell me more about the pen and have some advice for filling it!

Next to my Lamy Safari

Cap Image... says USA CARDINAL

Posted

Nib view... one of the tines is bent. Nib says WARRANTED WING-FLOW USA

Parts photo... all of the parts of the pen that I know how to take apart and put back together

Thanks

Default Re: Pen ID... [PICTURE HEAVY]

Quote Originally Posted by bookishgeologist View Post
    Hi all!! First off... sorry about the image sizes. I might be young, but technology eludes me. If this is a problem, please let me know and I'll do my best to fix anything. Anyways... I picked up this pen today at a flea market for 5 bucks. I thought it was cute, and so I brought it home. I did a quick clean on the nib to read the markings, but it didn't tell me much (I'm a newbie :/). I thought I'd share some pictures in hopes some others could tell me more about the pen and have some advice for filling it!

Next to my Lamy Safari

Cap Image... says USA CARDINAL

Posted

Nib view... one of the tines is bent. Nib says WARRANTED WING-FLOW USA

Parts photo... all of the parts of the pen that I know how to take apart and put back together
    Hi there. I'm not familiar with the brand but it looks like a good score for 5 bucks. Hard to tell if it is missing the ink sac or whether it is a cartridge type. I suspect the former. Definitely not ink dropperable. The steel nib looks like it might have been sprung at some time. Have you tried dipping it to see if it writes?

Thanks

Yes, I have dipped it and it writes gorgeously, pretty similar to my fine Safari. Can you tell me more about ink sacs? I've never heard of that before.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,712 Times in 1,610 Posts

It's one of the brazillion $1.00 pens of the period, steel nib, no tipping, and maybe missing parts. Is there nothing left inside the body?

Thanks

I couldn't take pictures of inside the body, but there's a lining tube of rusty metal. I'm gonna take a brush and clean it out, there looks like to me a lot of rust and/or dried ink on the inside.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,579 Times in 943 Posts

You could probably run it through a sonic cleaner, if you have one. It would vibrate all the icky ink out of there.
    Lady Onogaro

"Be yourself--everybody else is already taken." --Oscar Wilde

Thanks

That is likely the rest of the filling mechanism. It could be a tube that covered the sac or more likely simply a spring that sat around the sac. It's a good pen to learn on so look for some dental picks and see if you can get the pieces parts out for us to see. Possibly you will find something like the top item in this picture.

Thanks

Thank you!!!! I actually have a dental pick lying around from tinkering around with other stuff, and I'll be sure to find it!! In the sunlight, it looks like there's a lining of some sort, so I'm wondering if the ink sac had solidified to the interior of the barrel. Thanks for all the help!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bookishgeologist View Post
    Thank you!!!! I actually have a dental pick lying around from tinkering around with other stuff, and I'll be sure to find it!! In the sunlight, it looks like there's a lining of some sort, so I'm wondering if the ink sac had solidified to the interior of the barrel. Thanks for all the help!
    Very likely but there also should be some method of filling the sac. Pretend it's just lithified.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to jar For This Useful Post:

bookishgeologist (May 12th, 2016)

Thanks

I was able to get the parts out of the pen!! Like what jar predicted, I found a filling mechanism!!! The sac was so brittle it crumbled into pieces like this. It also smells pretty strongly. When I look down inside the barrel of the pen, I can see the whole way through it, and light comes in a small X hole at the very end of the barrel. There's also six bars around the inside of the barrel, which I presume is to hold things in place while the pen is being used. Any recommendations/resources on finding a replacement sac/go about doing it??

I really want to thank everyone with helping me out! I'm on vacation from work this week, and spending time tinkering with this pen has been probably the best part of it all.

insidesofpen.jpg

Thanks
    Thanked 3,483 Times in 1,745 Posts

Cool find!

For cleaning the nib, if you don't have an uotrasonic, Rapido-Eze is your friend. My five Osmiroid nibs from fleabay that someone used India ink in are bathing in it now.
    My other pen is a Montblanc.

And my other blog is a tumblr!

And my latest ebook, for spooky wintery reading:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0CM2NGSSD

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Sailor Kenshin For This Useful Post:

bookishgeologist (May 12th, 2016)