Thread: Ink View: Upcoming Ink - Street Car Green by Papier Plume NOLA

Thanks

Default Ink View: Upcoming Ink - Street Car Green by Papier Plume NOLA

Last week I was fortunate enough to be down in New Orleans or a conference, during the times that we were not in the conference we wondered around the city and I decided to look for any local stationery stores - Of course , what else would you do on your free time - I stumbled upon Papier Plume.

I have read about the store before, mostly on having a great selection on Rebecca moss pens , but as many things, it got stored in the back of my mind , way back. So by the time I got to the store, I had no expectations. As always when I go to a store, i like to buy something to remember the trip by, and I was pleasantly surprised to see that they had their own make of inks. Frankly by the time I got to the store it was almost closing time and I wanted to get some of their inks and I feel I as rushing it. So I decided to wait until the next day (and also bring some cash with me ) and I left not without looking at some incredible Wahl- Eversharp.... that night some serious web search went on inks reviews - found some , not many, but found some - and made my list

Next day, with enough time and cash in my hands, I went back to the store, I had met the owner the day before, Patrick, who recognized me when I came back and helped me getting a good selection of their inks based on my list. The surprise came towards the end when he offered me to try one of the 4 new inks that they will be bringing up - Street Car Green. So of course I jumped to the opportunity. I also had the pleasure to meet Renso too, who takes care of all the online activities, both great people.

Overall I had an incredible experience and I highly recommend if you are down in NOLA to visit the store or try out some of their inks, the owners and everyone of their staff is welcoming and very knowledgeable of the products they offer in the store. I'm very happy to have some of their inks in my collection.

So, here is a humble review, I wanted to do one for a while and I thought this would be the perfect one to start with.

Street Car Green (or as I call it SCG) - is a green/black that goes on the lighter side , I would even say a green/grey. It goes down light on paper and darkens a little when it dries. It also provides a great amount of shading. When talking about the ink with Patrick and Renso, the idea behind the new ink names and colors derives from the actual city of New Orleans. The colors are meant to represent unique parts of city, in the hopes that the color helps you take home a memory from New Orleans with you. Great Idea!

One thing I didn't had, from my dozens of random pictures from the trip, was a picture of a Street Car... I had one but, it was a red car. After a quick search, this is what a GREEN street car looks like.
    neworleans- 126.jpg

The ink comes in three presentations .5, 1, 2 Oz. Each will come on its own bottle and the bottles are different depending on the capacity. I have the 1 Oz and it looks like this:
    IMG_5604b.jpg

A swab of the ink would look like this on the nemosyne cards:
    IMG_5605b.jpg

Here is the overview on SCG:
    IMG_5592b.jpg

Flow: Flow is really good, feels like you are using water, which is something to say since the ink has some waterproof properties.
    Dry Times: In terms of dry times 15-20 seconds on clairefountaine and even faster on tomoe river.
    Ink-comparison: Inks that I found to be in the similar hue were Franklin Christoph - Loden and Noodlers Zhivago, Zhivago being the darkest and SCG the lighter one.
    Saturation: Saturation I found it to be on the medium side, and that is reflected on how he shading shows. On a wet nib it shows really well, but if you have a EF eastern type nib or a dry nib, you might find the ink to be on the lighter side.
    Sheen; Not on this one, even when using a full drop of ink on paper.
    Feathering: None that I saw
    Bleed-through: None seen
    Show-through: There is some slight, very slight show through,you could probably say there is none, unless you are really really looking for it.
    Pooling: This is not the shading but more on the pooling on the edges of the letters, I enjoy when the inks provide this, but this one doesn't have that.

Here is a quick sketch of a Street car using the SCG ink
    IMG_5600b.jpg

Here is some cursive and block writing - work in progress - Scans are also a work in progress ha!
    image2016-05-12-135658-1.jpgimage2016-05-12-135658-2.jpg

Opinion: SCG is unique on its own accord, while it is not as dark as Zhivago or even Loden (didn't had Diamine salamander to compare), it provides a fair amount of shading with good dry times and no smearing including some waterproof properties. It is a muted green that can be used at the workplace and it is pleasant to read. I currently have it on a wet medium nib and I intend using it as part of my rotation.

And Finally Patrick and Renso, Patrick is the one the left.
    IMG_5577b.jpg

You can see what other goodies they have at
    http://www.papierplume.com

I look forward to see what other inks they come up with, from my conversation they have the red and blue covered, so that leaves one TBD, maybe a yellow? Orange? who knows!

And in case anyone is wondering, I also got Caramel, Oyster Grey, Midnight Blue, Moss Green and Peacock Blue
    Last edited by jackokun; May 12th, 2016 at 02:12 PM.
    "When I have a little money, I buy books pens; and if I have any left, I buy food and clothes."

--- Erasmus --- sort of

2. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to jackokun For This Useful Post:

carlos.q (May 11th, 2016), Crazyorange (May 11th, 2016), KKay (May 19th, 2016), Lady Onogaro (May 11th, 2016), mrcharlie (May 11th, 2016), Pira (May 17th, 2016), R.A. Stewart (May 5th, 2023), Sailor Kenshin (May 11th, 2016), Takasnooze (May 11th, 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,016 Times in 837 Posts

Default Re: Ink View: Upcoming Ink - Street Car Green by Papier Plume NOLA

Awesome review. Thanks for sharing.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Crazyorange For This Useful Post:

jackokun (May 11th, 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,155 Times in 1,103 Posts

Thank you for an interesting ink review. I enjoyed reading it because it was quite different to the usual review fare & I loved your sketch :-)

I think the Papier Plume SCG looks quite similar to Robert Oster Moss Green. A muted, slightly grey-toned ink, with shading & medium saturation, (bearing in mind all the usual caveats about the inaccuracies of ink colours when viewed on screen)

Pic of very quick swab...

image.jpg

6. The Following User Says Thank You to migo984 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I can definitely see the similarities. From my screen (and bearing all the caveats you have just mentioned), Oster looks to have just a hint of more yellow?, but it might be just my screen

Thank you for the complements on the sketch! its been a while and came out nicely!

Quote Originally Posted by migo984 View Post
    Thank you for an interesting ink review. I enjoyed reading it because it was quite different to the usual review fare & I loved your sketch :-)

I think the Papier Plume SCG looks quite similar to Robert Oster Moss Green. A muted, slightly grey-toned ink, with shading & medium saturation, (bearing in mind all the usual caveats about the inaccuracies of ink colours when viewed on screen)

Pic of very quick swab...

image.jpg
    Last edited by jackokun; May 11th, 2016 at 05:36 PM.
    "When I have a little money, I buy books pens; and if I have any left, I buy food and clothes."

--- Erasmus --- sort of

Thanks

Very good review thank u

God Bless You! Michael W. Howard

9. The Following User Says Thank You to SeminarianMike For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,155 Times in 1,103 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jackokun View Post
    I can definitely see the similarities. From my screen (and bearing all the caveats you have just mentioned), Oster looks to have just a hint more yellow?
    I think you're right, although Oster Moss looks much more grey-ish on Graphilo paper, compared to the Tomoegawa I scribbled the swatch on. Both interesting inks though :-)

11. The Following User Says Thank You to migo984 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,579 Times in 943 Posts

Great review! When I was there a few weeks ago, Patrick said he was coming out with a few New Orleans-themed inks. Did he give any hints of the others?
    Lady Onogaro

"Be yourself--everybody else is already taken." --Oscar Wilde

Thanks

I know he mentioned a blue and a red, and the names are still on debate. There will be a fourth one but I dont know what hue will it be. One thing , they should be coming along in the next month or so per my understanding.

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Onogaro View Post
    Great review! When I was there a few weeks ago, Patrick said he was coming out with a few New Orleans-themed inks. Did he give any hints of the others?

--- Erasmus --- sort of

Thanks
    Thanked 1,579 Times in 943 Posts

Thanks. I may take a drive down there this weekend.

Sent from my HUAWEI Y336-A1 using Tapatalk
    Lady Onogaro

"Be yourself--everybody else is already taken." --Oscar Wilde

Thanks

AWESOME REVIEW!!... and GORGEOUS SKETCH!!!

I love the color... is more green than Salamander.. so I wouldn't mind having both..

C.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Cyber6 For This Useful Post:

jackokun (May 12th, 2016)

Thanks

Drinking enough water is vital for maintaining bodily functions and preventing dehydration. In addition to drinking water, you can also consume other hydrating fluids such as herbal tea, coconut water, and fresh juices. Aim to drink at least 8 glasses of water per day. my company