Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New pen... what is wrong with me?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,579 Times in 943 Posts

Default Re: New pen... what is wrong with me?

I actually use the leather case to store the pen in when I am not using it.
    Lady Onogaro

"Be yourself--everybody else is already taken." --Oscar Wilde

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post
    I think even with the silicone grease you get some ink mixed into the threads, but it still shouldn't leak. If you are going to switch inks, I'd flush the pen and then wipe as much of the old grease/ink off the threads with some paper towel/tissue. Obviously, the threads inside the barrel will probably be the most difficult to clean. It's the world of ED, and you just don't see it until you have a transparent pen.

As to the "glass effect", well, that is just how it is, unless you put a very light, transparent ink in there. And you don't want to do that, do you I don't.

I use an old, ( cleaned thoroughly ) mascara brush to scrub the insides of my barrels/threads with Dawn or similar. None of them have ever scratched them.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BayesianPrior View Post
    I keep a small quantity of diamonds and other precious stones in it.

Actually, I don't use it often, but sometimes put a pen in one if I'm throwing an extra in my bag and my 3-pen case is full.
    Gosh! Aren't you worried about the diamonds scratching up your pens?!

My pens are diamond-encrusted. It's a battle royale in that pouch!
    How about the soles of your shoes?

Thanks
    Thanked 11,078 Times in 4,024 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Anne View Post
    I use an old, ( cleaned thoroughly ) mascara brush to scrub the insides of my barrels/threads with Dawn or similar. None of them have ever scratched them.
    <sigh> It's been so long since I've used mascara...

As to liking and not liking pens, one factor (maybe) not taken into consideration is that EoC may simply be a bit more honest and sharing about his reactions. I don't know this, but I think there is a certain amount of common behavior that, when we get that new pen, we want to like it, and are hesitant to speak of it's shortcomings. So people are, possibly, more likely to share their giddiness than their grief with a new purchase. I could be wrong, of course.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Wile E Coyote View Post

Actually, I don't use it often, but sometimes put a pen in one if I'm throwing an extra in my bag and my 3-pen case is full.

You bet! I got Diamond Dogs!
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks
    Thanked 3,155 Times in 1,103 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Wile E Coyote View Post

You bet! I got Diamond Dogs!
    I bet you'll have those diamonds forever......

7. The Following User Says Thank You to migo984 For This Useful Post:

Jon Szanto (May 12th, 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,503 Times in 1,754 Posts

I've had pens I couldn't stand and was about to sell or donate...until I found the right ink.

Ink matters.
    My other pen is a Montblanc.

And my other blog is a tumblr!

And my latest ebook, for spooky wintery reading:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0CM2NGSSD

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sailor Kenshin For This Useful Post:

distracted_mom (May 12th, 2016), KKay (May 12th, 2016)

Thanks

I've got that not-quite-satisfied feeling with my newest blinding pink Lamy Safari - it feels like a stranger. The blinding green Safari is fine. Perhaps because I haven't put in a broader nib? Perhaps it doesn't live up to the 50x more than the 20p I paid for a Lamy Al-Star I found bizarrely on sale a couple of years ago!

Thanks

LOL! I am sure it would look lovely

Thanks

As to liking and not liking pens, one factor (maybe) not taken into consideration is that EoC may simply be a bit more honest and sharing about his reactions. I don't know this, but I think there is a certain amount of common behavior that, when we get that new pen, we want to like it, and are hesitant to speak of it's shortcomings. So people are, possibly, more likely to share their giddiness than their grief with a new purchase. I could be wrong, of course.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I can admit to this. It's an uneasy feeling when you realize your "new" pen turns out to perform like two or three + other pens that you already have.
    So, what makes it special? The fact that it is a Different color than the others ... ? Oh well
    Last edited by Anne; May 12th, 2016 at 06:50 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,529 Times in 1,299 Posts

As to liking and not liking pens, one factor (maybe) not taken into consideration is that EoC may simply be a bit more honest and sharing about his reactions. I don't know this, but I think there is a certain amount of common behavior that, when we get that new pen, we want to like it, and are hesitant to speak of it's shortcomings. So people are, possibly, more likely to share their giddiness than their grief with a new purchase. I could be wrong, of course.

Me too, to the first point. In my defence, I was following Goth music at the time. All black clothes, renaissance baggy white shirts a la Lord Byron, backcombed hair, eyeliner. Well, you get the horrible picture I'm sure.

As to the second point, yes this is true. I don't believe in saying something is good just because others say so. I'll give my honest opinion, even my irrational emotional opinion, but it will be representative of the moment I give it!

Anyway, liking the pen a whole lot better with the new ink installed. The step down on the barrel is only about 1 mm but it is quite sharp and thus very noticeable, probably exacerbated by the comparatively short section. I guess I'll get used to it.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Empty_of_Clouds View Post
    Anyway, liking the pen a whole lot better with the new ink installed. The step down on the barrel is only about 1 mm but it is quite sharp and thus very noticeable, probably exacerbated by the comparatively short section. I guess I'll get used to it.
    You mention the antique glass acrylic, so I'm thinking it might be one of the 66/66P models? Anyway, I have a 66P, and while that step didn't bother me, I did something that might help. I was sitting, looking at my TWSBI Mini and thinking "I could use that extra o-ring...". So I took the o-ring off the back of the pen (which only seems to be there to tighten the threading when posting the cap) and slipped it up over the nib and onto the section of my F-C. It snugs right up against that little step-down, and when you screw on the cap it tightens right up against the o-ring. Because there is a dark blue ink in the pen, you don't even really notice the rubber gasket, but it does a good job of helping keep the pen from not drying out. This had not been a problem at all, but now it can go for a very long time...

... and I now notice that the very thin o-ring cushions that step-down as well. Maybe you might have something similar that you could do. Just offering that up, in a rather wordy way.

~ Benjamin Franklin

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

Crazyorange (May 16th, 2016)

Thanks

I have a med cursive italic with the Masuyama grind. It does run a little on the dry side. Did you happen to floss the nib with a brass sheet? Sometimes that can easily take care of a problem like that, even with a new pen. If you like the look of the pen, and how it feels otherwise, maybe a new nib would fix the issue? As others have said, the right ink can make all the difference in the world too. Try a wetter ink, and then see what you think. I have certain pens that I use wetter ink in, and certain pens I intentionally put drier ink in. I did find a western broad is too broad for my writing. So if you haven't run a brass sheet through it, I'd try that first. 2nd, I'd clean the pen completely. (probably not necessary) Try wetter ink. Last would be to try to open up the tines a little. I would be hesitant in doing that too.