Thread: Red Kaweco AC-Sport

Non-participant
    Thanks

Thumbs up Red Kaweco AC-Sport

Another acquisition turned up today, a red aluminium/carbon fibre Kaweco AC-Sport with a medium steel nib. As I will be travelling to the U.K. for a couple of months later this year, I intend to have this little beauty in my pocket at all times. In the hand the pen reeks of quality, which you would expect from a German manufactured pen. The cap attaches via a thread requiring just one full turn to undo. The posting fit is brilliant, being very easy and a perfect fit at all times, which is important as the pen body is short but just long enough for me to use it uncapped. However, most users would prefer it to be capped.

The clip is an optional extra, which just slides onto the cap and is very secure. Even without the clip the faceted design means the pen does not roll off your desk, unlike the other pocket pen shown in the photos.

Ink is via an international cartridge or a mini-converter. For travel I find carts very convenient. The nib is steel, with nice touch of feedback and a generous ink flow (circa 7/10). Mine is an M but puts down a line more like a Japanese M or European F. I have ordered a spare EF nib for it from JetPens. The nib units screw in like an Estie or Pelikan M200 which is great for comprehensive flushing.

The purchase of this pen was prompted by fellow FPGer migo984 waving photos of her new blue stonewashed AL-Sport at me in the past week. Subsequently I picked this one up new from a local Melbourne eBay seller at a competitive BIN price which included the optional clip and registered shipping. The photos below include a Franklin-Christoph model 40Po pocket pen as a direct comparison of two pocket pens, and a Pelikan M400 appears to give some perspective to overall size.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Murfie For This Useful Post:

Bogon07 (April 15th, 2014), Crazyorange (April 16th, 2014), earthdawn (April 15th, 2014), Jeph (April 16th, 2014), migo984 (April 16th, 2014), penultress (April 16th, 2014), rgperedo (May 15th, 2014), Tracy Lee (April 16th, 2014), writingrav (April 16th, 2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,764 Times in 808 Posts

Default Re: Red Kaweco AC-Sport

Your red aluminium/carbon fibre Kaweco AC-Sport is a very stylish & trendy looking pen. The black cabon fibre makes good contract with the Flameboy Red aluminium.
    It looks quite chunky next to the Pelikan.

It will be interesting to hear how you compare the two pocket size pens after a bit of use.

Any chance of a writing sample

sinistral hypergraphica - a slurry of ink
    "Nothing means less than zero"

Thanks
    Thanked 2,049 Times in 790 Posts

Am I crazy or does that Pelikan have a BLUE cap? I swear it looks blue!
    ---
    Current pen rotation: way too many!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,290 Times in 837 Posts

Very cool pen.. congrats

AND thank you for putting next to one of my "need to get" pens the Franklin-Christoph model 40Po !

looks like the Franklin-Christoph model 40Po is moved up a couple notches since the size will be great for me. I have a Kaweco Sport clear I use at work all the time and form factor is great for me there.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to earthdawn For This Useful Post:

Murfie (April 15th, 2014)

Non-participant
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tandaina View Post
    Am I crazy or does that Pelikan have a BLUE cap? I swear it looks blue!
    Very observant of you Tandaina! The pen is a Frankenpen. It has a black M400 barrel and the rest is from a blue M250. The original barrel cracked near the blind cap caused by the prior owner taking out the piston for whatever reason. So I purchased an M400 barrel to replace the broken one. The pen serves as my workhorse Pelikan.

You win 10 brownie points for excellent eyesight. Cheers!

Non-participant
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogon07 View Post
    Any chance of a writing sample?
    You never give up do you Bogon. No ... but I'll write your next letter with it.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Murfie For This Useful Post:

Bogon07 (April 15th, 2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,155 Times in 1,103 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Murfie View Post
    The purchase of this pen was prompted by fellow FPGer migo984 waving photos of her new blue stonewashed AL-Sport at me in the past week.
    And now for the AL Sport High Gloss Raw Aluminium. One for the little black book possibly.......?

Non-participant
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by migo984 View Post
    And now for the AL Sport High Gloss Raw Aluminium. One for the little black book possibly.......?
    The only entry that will go into my little black book is the name of anyone encouraging me to buy more pens!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Murfie For This Useful Post:

Tracy Lee (April 16th, 2014)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by migo984 View Post
    The only entry that will go into my little black book is the name of anyone encouraging me to buy more pens!
    You are so easily encouraged to buy more pens you'd need a gigantic black book in 137 volumes.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogon07 For This Useful Post:

Non-participant
    Thanks

You are so easily encouraged to buy more pens you'd need a gigantic black book in 137 volumes.
    Bogon, sssshhhhhh please! I don't want people to know I've got absolutely no discipline when it comes to buying pens.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Murfie For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Bogon, sssshhhhhh please! I don't want people to know I've got absolutely no discipline when it comes to buying pens.
    I don't think you're alone in that regard.

I'm as easily led astray as the next person - they don't call me Bogon black sheep for nothing.
    I can almost hear the Visconti & Delta Dust sprinkling Tracy Lee giggling.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogon07 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,570 Times in 669 Posts

I don't think you're alone in that regard.

I'm as easily led astray as the next person - they don't call me Bogon black sheep for nothing.
    I can almost hear the Visconti & Delta Dust sprinkling Tracy Lee giggling.
    Me? Giggling? Yes, yes I am. In an evil, exploitative way. . .

20. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Tracy Lee For This Useful Post:

Bogon07 (April 16th, 2014), Crazyorange (April 16th, 2014), cwent2 (April 16th, 2014), Murfie (April 17th, 2014)

Thanks

Slightly belated congratulations from me, Murfie.

That's one smart looking pen and good to hear that you got it on a good price (don't you always?). The MSRP is a little high, but it doesn't alter the fact that this is one very nice pocket pen.
    Kai

"Nature does not hurry, yet everything is accomplished." -- Lao Tzu

22. The Following User Says Thank You to kaisnowbird For This Useful Post:

Bogon07 (April 20th, 2014)

Non-participant
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kaisnowbird View Post
    That's one smart looking pen and good to hear that you got it on a good price (don't you always?). The MSRP is a little high, but it doesn't alter the fact that this is one very nice pocket pen.
    I always do quite a bit of research before hitting the Buy button as prices vary so much as you well know.

It's been interesting acquiring this one not long after the Franklin-Christoph model 40Po, both being pocket pens. Personally, the Kaweco does it better for me, but much of that is subjective of course. I prefer the Kaweco's weight, the faceted design (no rolling away when you put it down), the optional clip, but the big difference is in the posting, which is obligatory for both of these pens. The Kaweco posts very positively and doesn't become loose. With the F-C it is difficult to seat the cap properly which tends to dislodge as I write which drives me nuts - and I'm nuts enough as it is. The F-C's section width is too small for me. The Kaweco's is not much larger, but it makes quite a difference to the comfort in the hand.

Non-participant
    Thanks

Yesterday, a spare EF nib unit for this red Kaweco AC-Sport, arrived from JetPens. I swapped it in immediately to try it out. It is a true European EF in width, smooth but with a nice amount of feedback, and surprisingly wet. So I am very pleased with both nibs. I have also ordered a broad nib which I intend to regrind to a stub when it arrives later this week. The more I use this pen, the more I enjoy it.

25. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Murfie For This Useful Post:

Bogon07 (April 22nd, 2014), cwent2 (April 22nd, 2014), writingrav (April 22nd, 2014)

Thanks

As a homeowner in Clifton, NJ, finding reliable residential AC solutions is essential for maintaining indoor comfort. https://atlantic-heatingcooling.com/ offers a range of residential AC services tailored to meet the unique needs of homeowners like me. Their professionalism and attention to detail set them apart from the rest.