Thread: Difficult second album (pen)

Thanks

Default Difficult second album (pen)

Hey guys
    Any suggestions on a second pen. My first good pen was my beloved Pelikan M600, it is used everyday and I consider it almost perfect for me.

It's time to buy another pen, but I don't want the risk of disappointment. I could just get more Pelikans, but feel that might be a bit safe.

Interested to have any comments and what were your second good pens?

Thanks

Default Re: Difficult second album (pen)

Well, if a m600 was good, an m800 will be better!

Seriously though, I don't see anything wrong with staying with what works for you. If a pen is almost perfect for you, what would make it absolutely perfect for you? Start there and keep yourself honest and take your time trying to find it.

There are other pens with good reputations that are someone else's perfect pen, but if you are so close to finding yours, really find out what the one you have could do better and just look for those qualities.

And if you want to stay Pelikan, the other option besides an m800 or another similar Pelikan might be to pursue the vintage route. Higher chance of inconsistency, but if you buy from someone reputable that shouldn't be too bad. I got a lovely 400nn from rosspens.com .
    Last edited by gbryal; May 28th, 2016 at 03:29 PM.

gregamckinney

Pretty tall order: don't want risk; don't want to be too safe...
    Have you considered a M600 in a different finish or with a different nib?

I am a huge fan of the Pilot Custom 823. It is different than the Pelikan in a lot of ways, but still conservative looking, very reliable and has an integrated filling system. Maybe consider it?

Best Regards, greg

4. The Following User Says Thank You to gregamckinney For This Useful Post:

TAYLORPUPPY (May 29th, 2016)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    Hey guys
    Any suggestions on a second pen. My first good pen was my beloved Pelikan M600, it is used everyday and I consider it almost perfect for me.

It's time to buy another pen, but I don't want the risk of disappointment. I could just get more Pelikans, but feel that might be a bit safe.

Interested to have any comments and what were your second good pens?
    A Lamy 2000 would make a nice companion to the M600. You might also consider something from the big three Japanese makers: Pilot Custom 74 or Custom Heritage 92, Platinum 3776 (fabulous pen), Sailor 1911L or Pro Gear. These are all excellent writers with a variety of gold nib options. Keep in mind that Japanese nibs are generally one size finer than western nibs; e.g. Japanese medium =western fine; J fine=W extra fine, etc. If your pockets are deep enough you could go for a Mont Blanc 146. Eventually I'm sure you will want to have a Pelikan M800 too. (Just got mine a few weeks ago and I love it).

My second good pen was either a Parker Sonnet with 18k medium nib or a Waterman Carene with 18knib. Can't remember which came first. Both nice juicy writers. Cheers.

close to geographical center of the nation
    Thanks

Variety is the spice of life, eh?
    Sandy
    We don't know what we don't know

Thanks

What is good for me might not be good for you. With that said, for vintage, Parker 51 or older Pelikans. My collection consists of Pelikan, Parker, various vintage. If I were you, I would look for a pen that looks good in your hand and try to keep the new purchase within budget. Provide us with pens that you are considering and ask for the pros and cons from users of the pens. It might help with your window shopping. It's a great way to spend money.
    We have met the enemy and he is us.
    -Pogo

Thanks

If you like the feel of your Peli, the Sailor Pro Gear, Pro-Gear Realo and the Franklin-Christoph Mod. 20 'Marietta' feel very similar, but offer a lot more variety in the nib department. Another pen that is quite different (appart from being a Peli-style piston filler) is the Lamy 2000, which has for me consistently outperformed pens costing 3 times as much.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,591 Times in 699 Posts

There is always some risk of disappointment, although I've been pretty lucky in this regard.

My "good pens" are all well below the price level of the Pelikan M600, and are rather plainer looking. But my favorites include a disproportionate number of Pilots, Custom Heritage 91 and 92, Custom 74, Falcon (now "Elabo" I think), Capless Decimo, and even perhaps the discontinued MYU and Murex, although I haven't had the last two for as long. I'm not absolutely suggesting that you get one, just that you look over the Pilot models in this range and see if anything appeals to you. For what it's worth, the closest I have to a single favorite pen is the Custom Heritage 92. But then, the highest end Pelikans I have are an M205 and a vintage 140.
    "If a thing is worth doing, it is worth doing badly."
    G.K. Chesterton

Thanks

Thanks for the responses.

A leftfield pen that I fancy is the new Parker Ingenuity. Not a classic but new and interesting.

How do you find good vintage pens? I expect eBay isn't the place to look.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gbryal View Post
    Well, if a m600 was good, an m800 will be better!
    But an M1000 won't be. </unpopular_opinion>

Look at the Pilot C74. I personally like mine more than my M600. Get one with a fun nib. Alternately the CH912 also is a GREAT pen and comes with nib choices aplenty.

On par with the C74 is the Platinum 3776, another pen that is hard to beat for the money.

Like pistons? Go find yourself a nice restored Aurora 88. A Lamy 27? Or a 2k?

Thanks
    Thanked 3,712 Times in 1,610 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    Thanks for the responses.

A leftfield pen that I fancy is the new Parker Ingenuity. Not a classic but new and interesting.

How do you find good vintage pens? I expect eBay isn't the place to look.
    eBay can be a great place to find vintage pens IF, and that is an important IF, you really know what you are looking for, know lots and lots about the specific model and do good research on the seller. But as in all areas, when it comes to old stuff knowledge is key.