Page 688 of 692 FirstFirst ... 188588638678686687688689690 ... LastLast
Results 13,741 to 13,760 of 13836

Thread: guess the ink!

  1. #13741
    Senior Member DrPenfection's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Nevada and beyond!
    Posts
    646
    Thanks
    269
    Thanked 304 Times in 168 Posts
    Rep Power
    5

    Default Re: guess the ink!

    I will be doing an ink review on this one. I'm not much for murky inks, but I really like this one.

  2. #13742
    Senior Member mizgeorge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2020
    Posts
    1,516
    Thanks
    271
    Thanked 659 Times in 450 Posts
    Rep Power
    2

    Default Re: guess the ink!

    Quote Originally Posted by DrPenfection View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Yazeh View Post
    Sandstone? GAMBOGE?

    I would say it would be sandstone


    **** DING DING DING *****

    The ink is Birmingham Pen Company Sandstone in the new Crisp Formula.

    Here is the tally of guesses: I have to say that Yazeh did get Sandstone first:

    Here are the guesses:
    mizgeorge:
    Troublemaker Kelp Tea
    Van Diemanís Launceston Fog
    Lamy Crystal Agate
    (or something gorgeous by Birmingham that I havenít see yet.
    Platinum Sepia Black
    Birmingham Thundercloud/Pumpernickel
    Robert Oster Bronze (or perhaps Melon Tea)
    Birmingham Mud Puddle, Root Beer or Bourbon (I took that as two guesses, not the drink)
    Sailor 373/MB Swan Illusion/Herbin Cacao du Bresil
    Robert Oster Chocolate Pudding
    Birmingham Stormwater Runnoff? Chipotle?
    Birmingham Jonas Salk Serum Umber

    See, I did say it

    Now you really have to set the next one Yazeh!!

  3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mizgeorge For This Useful Post:

    DrPenfection (September 14th, 2021), Yazeh (September 14th, 2021)

  4. #13743
    Senior Member mizgeorge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2020
    Posts
    1,516
    Thanks
    271
    Thanked 659 Times in 450 Posts
    Rep Power
    2

    Default Re: guess the ink!

    Quote Originally Posted by DrPenfection View Post
    I will be doing an ink review on this one. I'm not much for murky inks, but I really like this one.
    I love murky inks provided they 'do' something other than just sit like toady blobs of saturated nothingness. As long as they've got some shading, or are at least light enough to show some variation then I can't get enough of them. Now there's a surprise...

  5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mizgeorge For This Useful Post:

    DrPenfection (September 14th, 2021), Yazeh (September 14th, 2021)

  6. #13744
    Senior Member DrPenfection's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Nevada and beyond!
    Posts
    646
    Thanks
    269
    Thanked 304 Times in 168 Posts
    Rep Power
    5

    Default Re: guess the ink!

    mizgeorge, since you were so, so close - and you knew what the ink was but didn't say it . . .

    you can have my next turn.

  7. The Following User Says Thank You to DrPenfection For This Useful Post:

    Yazeh (September 14th, 2021)

  8. #13745
    Senior Member DrPenfection's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Nevada and beyond!
    Posts
    646
    Thanks
    269
    Thanked 304 Times in 168 Posts
    Rep Power
    5

    Default Re: guess the ink!

    Quote Originally Posted by mizgeorge View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DrPenfection View Post
    I will be doing an ink review on this one. I'm not much for murky inks, but I really like this one.
    I love murky inks provided they 'do' something other than just sit like toady blobs of saturated nothingness. As long as they've got some shading, or are at least light enough to show some variation then I can't get enough of them. Now there's a surprise...
    I have always enjoyed clear, transparent, almost watercolor type of inks - as long as they shade without too much granulation. I am just now getting into "murky" inks. And yes, they must, must, must shade nicely. I'm not so big on sheen, but shading is a must for me. I also really like it when the ink "halos" on the papers that I use (most TR, but others as well).

    A sample of sandstorm was provided to me by a fellow inkophile. He thought I might like it. At first, I thought I would not, but now I really like it. It reminds me of Nevada bugdust.

  9. The Following User Says Thank You to DrPenfection For This Useful Post:

    Yazeh (September 14th, 2021)

  10. #13746
    Senior Member thi's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Location
    WA, USA
    Posts
    245
    Thanks
    261
    Thanked 122 Times in 80 Posts
    Rep Power
    3

    Default Re: guess the ink!

    Ah! Sandstorm was right next to Antique Sepia when I was looking and I somehow missed it!
    Well done Yazeh and mizgeorge too!

    Now I have to askÖ
    Is Nevada bugdust something one wants to be reminded of?

    Ok, I googled it and it isnít as bad as it sounds!

  11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thi For This Useful Post:

    DrPenfection (September 14th, 2021), Yazeh (September 14th, 2021)

  12. #13747
    Senior Member DrPenfection's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Nevada and beyond!
    Posts
    646
    Thanks
    269
    Thanked 304 Times in 168 Posts
    Rep Power
    5

    Default Re: guess the ink!

    Quote Originally Posted by thi View Post
    Ah! Sandstorm was right next to Antique Sepia when I was looking and I somehow missed it!
    Well done Yazeh and mizgeorge too!

    Now I have to askÖ
    Is Nevada bugdust something one wants to be reminded of?

    Ok, I googled it and it isnít as bad as it sounds!
    I am sorry, but I had to laugh! I didn't even think as to the other definitions of bugdust.

    In Nevada, when it rains all unpaved roads turn immediately to a thick, slimy, gooey mess and as you drive through (yes it requires 4x4) you will leave large ruts in the road. This usually happens in winter and spring. When late summer comes, those ruts fill in with dust and many times you can't see them. So as you are cruising along, driving though those ruts, it is blowing the dust way into the air. Many times, you can watch someone driving along a road 50 miles away, not because you can see the vehicle, but you can see the dust rising in the air. That is Nevada bug dust. And the dust gets everywhere - the vehicle will be covered in it, and when you walk it in you get covered in it as well.

    And you have the same effect in eastern Washington and Oregon.

    The same thing happens when wild horses, burros, antelope or deer make their paths. Many times you can see a herd of wild horses miles away because of the dust they stir up.

    While some may not appreciate the arid basin and range country in the Western US, some of us love it - even with bug dust that gets everywhere.
    Last edited by DrPenfection; September 14th, 2021 at 04:17 PM.

  13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DrPenfection For This Useful Post:

    thi (September 14th, 2021), Yazeh (September 14th, 2021)

  14. #13748
    Senior Member mizgeorge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2020
    Posts
    1,516
    Thanks
    271
    Thanked 659 Times in 450 Posts
    Rep Power
    2

    Default Re: guess the ink!

    Quote Originally Posted by DrPenfection View Post
    mizgeorge, since you were so, so close - and you knew what the ink was but didn't say it . . .

    you can have my next turn.
    LOL - don't be daft - I should have put it in writing!! I'll wait my turn until I win fair and square

    Though of course I could just set the ink that's so obscure that I have no idea what it is. I must have bought it somewhere at some point, but I have no idea where or when. It's definitely Chinese, but I've checked all my buying history and I've never ordered it. I have a feeling it may have been a gift from an Aliexpress seller some time last year, and I just tucked it away and forgot about it. Old brain's feeling the strain...

    It might be a way of finding out what it is though...

  15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mizgeorge For This Useful Post:

    DrPenfection (September 14th, 2021), Yazeh (September 14th, 2021)

  16. #13749
    Senior Member DrPenfection's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Nevada and beyond!
    Posts
    646
    Thanks
    269
    Thanked 304 Times in 168 Posts
    Rep Power
    5

    Default Re: guess the ink!

    Quote Originally Posted by mizgeorge View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DrPenfection View Post
    mizgeorge, since you were so, so close - and you knew what the ink was but didn't say it . . .

    you can have my next turn.
    LOL - don't be daft - I should have put it in writing!! I'll wait my turn until I win fair and square

    Though of course I could just set the ink that's so obscure that I have no idea what it is. I must have bought it somewhere at some point, but I have no idea where or when. It's definitely Chinese, but I've checked all my buying history and I've never ordered it. I have a feeling it may have been a gift from an Aliexpress seller some time last year, and I just tucked it away and forgot about it. Old brain's feeling the strain...

    It might be a way of finding out what it is though...
    Be careful with those Chinese inks. You never know what's in them. When I was visiting my daughter in China, we saw a street vendor who sold pens, brushes and inks. She had a really pretty light orange color in a very pretty bottle in very nice packaging. And it was reasonably priced. I wanted to buy it but my daughter pulled me along. When I asked her why I could not buy it, she took me on a street behind the vendors. Well, you don't want to know what they were putting in the bottle. The bad thing was that, later when we were shopping in the "reputable" places, I saw the same "ink", in the same bottle and with the same packaging. Were the street vendors merely repackaging something else to look like the ink? Or were they selling the ink to the "reputable" places. The colors were almost identical.

    Don't misunderstand. There are many very good, reputable pen and ink companies, but I learned very quickly that you have to be careful what and where you buy it.

  17. The Following User Says Thank You to DrPenfection For This Useful Post:

    Yazeh (September 14th, 2021)

  18. #13750
    Senior Member mizgeorge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2020
    Posts
    1,516
    Thanks
    271
    Thanked 659 Times in 450 Posts
    Rep Power
    2

    Default Re: guess the ink!

    Ick. I'm not too worried about this one in honesty - it's definitely the 'real thing', and I've seen the same thing elsewhere for sale, I just can't translate the name!

  19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mizgeorge For This Useful Post:

    DrPenfection (September 14th, 2021), Yazeh (September 14th, 2021)

  20. #13751
    Senior Member Yazeh's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Location
    Montreal, Canada
    Posts
    3,005
    Thanks
    2,580
    Thanked 771 Times in 470 Posts
    Rep Power
    6

    Default Re: guess the ink!

    So much activity I got lost in a sandstorm.....

    This one could be either very easy or very difficult.....
    DrP, will have a bit of a laugh, as her ink and mine are very close in colour
    Ink was scanned before she posted

    There are two major hints.....

    scan

    guess 1.jpg

    photos

    43D7D71B-50F7-42FD-9081-887B43243D95.jpg5E00C313-E9C1-4531-89E2-6AA6680886E4_1_201_a.jpg

  21. #13752
    Senior Member thi's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Location
    WA, USA
    Posts
    245
    Thanks
    261
    Thanked 122 Times in 80 Posts
    Rep Power
    3

    Default Re: guess the ink!

    Thank you Yazeh! And you're making me think about getting one of those pens!
    Akkerman Dutch Masters #04 - Hals Oud Bruin?

  22. #13753
    Senior Member DrPenfection's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Nevada and beyond!
    Posts
    646
    Thanks
    269
    Thanked 304 Times in 168 Posts
    Rep Power
    5

    Default Re: guess the ink!

    Beautiful writing, Yazeh!

    just a couple of quick guesses:

    Tono and Lins Kaleidoscope
    Kyo - iro Stone Road of Gion

  23. #13754
    Senior Member Yazeh's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Location
    Montreal, Canada
    Posts
    3,005
    Thanks
    2,580
    Thanked 771 Times in 470 Posts
    Rep Power
    6

    Default Re: guess the ink!

    Quote Originally Posted by thi View Post
    Thank you Yazeh! And you're making me think about getting one of those pens!
    Akkerman Dutch Masters #04 - Hals Oud Bruin?
    They take several months to make, but well worth it if you like tinkering
    As for the ink sorry, no.

    Quote Originally Posted by DrPenfection View Post
    Beautiful writing, Yazeh!

    Quote Originally Posted by DrPenfection View Post
    just a couple of quick guesses:

    Tono and Lins Kaleidoscope
    Kyo - iro Stone Road of Gion
    Couldn't be farther.....

  24. The Following User Says Thank You to Yazeh For This Useful Post:

    thi (September 15th, 2021)

  25. #13755
    Senior Member mizgeorge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2020
    Posts
    1,516
    Thanks
    271
    Thanked 659 Times in 450 Posts
    Rep Power
    2

    Default Re: guess the ink!

    Great sample Yazeh! Thank you I'm very interested to hear what you make of the Ackerman pen.

    Honest Ink Shitty Sepia?
    Noodler's Polar Brown (kind of obligatory guess!)
    Noodler's Whaleman's Sepia
    Edelstein Smoky Quartz

  26. #13756
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    615
    Thanks
    399
    Thanked 115 Times in 62 Posts
    Rep Power
    7

    Default Re: guess the ink!

    colorverse coffee break

  27. #13757
    Senior Member Yazeh's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Location
    Montreal, Canada
    Posts
    3,005
    Thanks
    2,580
    Thanked 771 Times in 470 Posts
    Rep Power
    6

    Default Re: guess the ink!

    Quote Originally Posted by mizgeorge View Post
    Great sample Yazeh! Thank you I'm very interested to hear what you make of the Ackerman pen.
    I'm still getting acquainted with it. But if you ask me precise questions, I can answer them more efficiently. This is the perfect pen with the tinkerer
    You can change feeds depending what kind of ink/nib you use. You have thin flow inks (for normal FP ink) and normal feed for "other" inks. I am using the normal feed.. [hint]
    You can also use a spacer and remove the overfeed (though I've managed to lose mine)
    I am not using the thin flow feed.
    Quote Originally Posted by mizgeorge View Post
    Honest Ink Shitty Sepia?
    Noodler's Polar Brown (kind of obligatory guess!)
    Noodler's Whaleman's Sepia
    Edelstein Smoky Quartz
    Quote Originally Posted by BCDDiggler View Post
    colorverse coffee break
    None of the above....

    I would say, mizgeorge has an edge, and David might too
    Enough said... no pressure
    Last edited by Yazeh; September 15th, 2021 at 08:36 AM.

  28. The Following User Says Thank You to Yazeh For This Useful Post:

    thi (September 15th, 2021)

  29. #13758
    Senior Member mizgeorge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2020
    Posts
    1,516
    Thanks
    271
    Thanked 659 Times in 450 Posts
    Rep Power
    2

    Default Re: guess the ink!

    Diamine Raw Sienna?
    Tobacco Sunburst (I think all of the guitar series are too red)
    Golden Brown (too yellow?)
    Montblanc Swan Illusion
    Callifolio Sepia


    Oh, I've just read the answer properly...

    Is it a walnut ink? A Cornelissen? Or even a homebrew?

    You haven't been harvesting cuttlefish ink have you?

  30. #13759
    Senior Member Yazeh's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Location
    Montreal, Canada
    Posts
    3,005
    Thanks
    2,580
    Thanked 771 Times in 470 Posts
    Rep Power
    6

    Default Re: guess the ink!

    Quote Originally Posted by mizgeorge View Post
    Diamine Raw Sienna?
    Tobacco Sunburst (I think all of the guitar series are too red)
    Golden Brown (too yellow?)
    Montblanc Swan Illusion
    Callifolio Sepia


    Oh, I've just read the answer properly...

    Is it a walnut ink? A Cornelissen? Or even a homebrew?

    You haven't been harvesting cuttlefish ink have you?
    Told you, you have a certain edge. It's is indeed made of walnuts. Bravo However, this is like saying that the ink uses dye X or Y, or it's an iron gall.
    What ink it is?

  31. #13760
    Senior Member mizgeorge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2020
    Posts
    1,516
    Thanks
    271
    Thanked 659 Times in 450 Posts
    Rep Power
    2

    Default Re: guess the ink!

    I'm going to try Bohemian Raspberry Art (just because of the clue!)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •