Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I am the Flattest

Thanks

Default I am the Flattest

Wondering what you all think is the notebook that lies the flattest. Right now I use Aqua Drops from Lihit Labs which I got from Amazon and/or JetPens. Excellent quality paper for FPs. And has twist ring, so you can remove sheets. But it would be nice to have a notebook that was flat enough that I didn't have to remove paper to write on it then re insert. Looking at the Habana but haven't purchased yet. Using 3 TWSBI mini vacs, a TWSBI 580 all with broad nib.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,818 Times in 797 Posts

Default Re: I am the Flattest

Welcome to FPGeeks!

When I need a notebook that lies completely flat I'll use a Black n' Red spiral bound notebook. It has FP friendly paper and it's cheaper than Rhodia or Clairefontaine.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to carlos.q For This Useful Post:

Lady Onogaro (June 7th, 2016), R.A. Stewart (February 21st, 2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by carlos.q View Post
    Welcome to FPGeeks!

When I need a notebook that lies completely flat I'll use a Black n' Red spiral bound notebook. It has FP friendly paper and it's cheaper than Rhodia or Clairefontaine.
    Sadly, they aren't available in graph ruled.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,155 Times in 1,103 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonmaster Lou View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by carlos.q View Post
    Welcome to FPGeeks!

Sadly, they aren't available in graph ruled.
    I haven't seen them in scientific graph ruled but they are available with 5mm quadrille (square) ruled paper, at least in the UK. In A4 and A5, with 140 pages, micro-perforated sheets.
    Last edited by migo984; June 7th, 2016 at 01:12 PM.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to migo984 For This Useful Post:

Mr. Reader (June 17th, 2016)

Thanks

The soft cover Leuchtturm1917 lay nice and flat.

Thanks

The Montblanc 'Notes' books lay very flat, but they are quite thin (roughly 110 pages). Some have said the older ones feathered a bit, but the more recent ones are fine (what I've used). The cover has a really nice tactile texture too.

Thanks

Rhodia has spiral pads with square grids, but they are not full size paper, IIRC.
    Fortibus es in ero

Thanks

For me, Rhodia or Clairefontaine school notebooks do the trick - they have only 96 pages, but that's easily remedied by just bringing a spare notebook along. the individual books being less bulky also allows for more flex (you can roll them up with a rubber band around) and they are easier to carry. Calirefontaine come in square ruled fashion, as do the very similar budget-brand German school notebooks. Sizes are A6-A4.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to inklord For This Useful Post:

Marsilius (June 11th, 2016)

Thanks

Most any spiral bound notebook is going to lie nice and flat. The question becomes how large is the spiral binding (how many pages) and how much of an impediment does it become when your hand hits it and you have to adjust to go up and over. For this I have to say the Apica side bound are great as the wire binding is low profile. My Rhodia and Black n' Red notebooks have a much larger binding which gets to be annoying. It put me into a temporary bind as I really like the Black n' Red paper quality and notebook. It's cheaper and has better paper than Rhodia. I recently bought one of the hardcover case bound Black n' Red notebooks and thus far I really like it. It may not lay exactly flat on the table when open anywhere but straight down the middle, but when it's open it is flat from page to page.

Black n' Red Spiral vs. Apica Spiral - The Black n' Red binding is around 17mm while the Apica binding is just over 11mm, so ~1/4" difference.

Black n' Red Spiral vs. Rhodia Spiral vs. Black n' Red case - Rhodia binding is around 16mm.

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Scooby921 For This Useful Post:

Ahriman4891 (May 4th, 2017), datainadequate (January 15th, 2017), Sailor Kenshin (January 15th, 2017)

Thanks

I've bought a few of the Oxford notebooks, and they are very FP friendly. Also, they have a "signature" line, which is a bit expensive, but lie pretty flat! They also have great spiral bound options, in many sizes.
    "The pen is mightier than the sword"
    Edward Bulwer-Lytton

close to geographical center of the nation
    Thanks

There is a great on from Moo, where you buy business cards & things. Been using mine a couple months & love it flat, great paper quality
    Sandy
    We don't know what we don't know

Thanks

Nanami Seven Seas notebooks are the flattest, but you have to break them in a little.

Thanks

Circa notebooks, by Levenger, use discs. They lay totally flat, and have all kinds of nice paper, and some have dots instead of lines or graph squares.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,189 Times in 1,419 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Scooby921 View Post
    Most any spiral bound notebook is going to lie nice and flat. The question becomes how large is the spiral binding (how many pages) and how much of an impediment does it become when your hand hits it and you have to adjust to go up and over. For this I have to say the Apica side bound are great as the wire binding is low profile. My Rhodia and Black n' Red notebooks have a much larger binding which gets to be annoying. It put me into a temporary bind as I really like the Black n' Red paper quality and notebook. It's cheaper and has better paper than Rhodia. I recently bought one of the hardcover case bound Black n' Red notebooks and thus far I really like it. It may not lay exactly flat on the table when open anywhere but straight down the middle, but when it's open it is flat from page to page.

Black n' Red Spiral vs. Apica Spiral - The Black n' Red binding is around 17mm while the Apica binding is just over 11mm, so ~1/4" difference.

Black n' Red Spiral vs. Rhodia Spiral vs. Black n' Red case - Rhodia binding is around 16mm.
    Very helpful pics.

Thanks

Do you have any writing samples on the black & red notebooks, and are you usually able to write on both sides?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by littledebbie View Post
    Do you have any writing samples on the black & red notebooks, and are you usually able to write on both sides?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yes, Black&Red notebooks are fountain safe. You can write on both sides

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks

I don't have any writing samples at the moment. I use the notepad at work, so it's filled with work-related notes I'd prefer not to share.

Here's the post for the Black n' Red paper in the paper comparison thread I made. It's not written front and back, but you can see that there is no bleed or show-through on the back side of the paper.

https://fpgeeks.com/forum/showthread...l=1#post175991

Thanks
    Thanked 1,798 Times in 943 Posts

Spiral bound is hard to beat for flattest. I just don't like the bump that my hand runs into while I'm writting. You could have your own paper printed with grids or dots and then have it spiral bound at any big box office store.
    Fountain Pen Sith Lord | Daakusaido | Everything in one spot

Thanks

I have found that "coptic binding" is the trick for flatness. On a recent journey, I journaled in a Moleskine Chapters Dot Grid notebook (I know, Moleskine is not "FP friendly" - but this one worked great for me and my fountain pen). This notebook is about 1/4 inch or .5 cm thick, but it lays completely flat when opened.

I am not trying to recommend this particular notebook, but instead am suggesting this type of binding. Have others found this binding to allow lay flat opening?

Thanks

My Rhodia 180 book lays pretty flat, until the book is like 150 pages on one side