Thread: Nib Question on a 14k flex nib

Thanks

Default Nib Question on a 14k flex nib

I received a Vintage Wearever FP in the mail today. It has a Gold 14K Nib

It is marked Eclipse 14K N.Y. The nib looks in great shape. In the pen installed on the feed the tines have over .005 gap as I have a .005 brass shim and the tines will not hold it. I am not getting any ink flow and suspect capillary action cannot take place due to a large gap. I also suspected the feed however I switched it to another Wearever with a perfectly good feed and a fine medium nib. I exchanged nibs and still it would flow in the other pen. I cannot find my calipers however the 14K nib seems a little wider at the base than the fine Medium on the other pen. When the pen is removed from the section and feed the tines close up. When reinstalled the spread again. I think the nib shoulders are under pressure in the section causing this to spread. If I move the nib out about 1/8" and reseat the tines seem to stay more closed however I still was not getting ink flow. I really want to find a pen to use this mi on as it seems to have good flex and variation verified with dip test. I suspect this nib may not be correct for the vintage wearever I received.

Any recommendation is appreciated.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,116 Times in 576 Posts

Default Re: Nib Question on a 14k flex nib

If the nib is marked ECLIPSE it would most likely have been in an Eclipse pen. That it is 14K and marked N.Y. it is an earlier Eclipse if memory serves correct.