Thread: Kentucky Herrin Pens

Thanks

Default Kentucky Herrin Pens

I recently purchased two Parker Royal Challengers from Kentucky Herrin Pens.

While the proprietor was pretty easy to deal with and the prices were quite reasonable I was fairly disappointed when the pens came arrived. The meager description and single blurry photo of each pen I found fairly misleading.

The description of pen 1;
    Significant Issues-Minor signs of wear from use-date code “8”

This pen had the worst surface wear I have ever seen. It looked like it had been stored in a coarse gravel.

The description of pen 2;
    Significant Issues-Minor signs of wear from use-date code “37.”-Tiny professional repaired lip stress fracture (tight)

The "professional repaired lip stress fracture" was a significant crack extending into under the cap band that looked like someone had just globbed super glue onto it.

While his website does say that he has not done any restoration on the pens he sells they both had had very substandard resacking done.

Both of these pens are still listed on his site as for sale and it has been at least 2 months since I purchased them.

While I may frequent the site to see what is for sale I will be sure to e much more cautious about what I purchase there in the future.

Dan

ps. After 2 weeks of work I know have two parker royal challengers that are the highlights of my collection and my re-repair of the lip crack had the members of my local pen club impressed when they could not find the repair without my pointing it out.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,837 Times in 439 Posts

Is there a website you could provide us with? Does he have an ebay store or website?
    How did you hear about Kentucky Herrin?

Quote Originally Posted by onedumbtrucker View Post
    I recently purchased two Parker Royal Challengers from Kentucky Herrin Pens.

While the proprietor was pretty easy to deal with and the prices were quite reasonable I was fairly disappointed when the pens came arrived. The meager description and single blurry photo of each pen I found fairly misleading.

The description of pen 1;
    Significant Issues-Minor signs of wear from use-date code “8”

This pen had the worst surface wear I have ever seen. It looked like it had been stored in a coarse gravel.

The description of pen 2;
    Significant Issues-Minor signs of wear from use-date code “37.”-Tiny professional repaired lip stress fracture (tight)

The "professional repaired lip stress fracture" was a significant crack extending into under the cap band that looked like someone had just globbed super glue onto it.

While his website does say that he has not done any restoration on the pens he sells they both had had very substandard resacking done.

Both of these pens are still listed on his site as for sale and it has been at least 2 months since I purchased them.

While I may frequent the site to see what is for sale I will be sure to e much more cautious about what I purchase there in the future.

Dan

ps. After 2 weeks of work I know have two parker royal challengers that are the highlights of my collection and my re-repair of the lip crack had the members of my local pen club impressed when they could not find the repair without my pointing it out.
    It's good to know that the deal went well and the prices were fair. I'm not sure what you could be disappointed about. You took a big chance buying pens with blurry pictures and and the descriptions say there is significant issues with each pen. While the 2nd pen may not have been described with 100% accuracy it still sounds like you knew, for the most part, what you were getting. It does seem a little shady that he hasn't updated his for sale posts 2 months after the sale has been completed. I agree, I would be cautious when buying from Kentucky Herrin and other similar sellers that don't provide clear pictures.

Thanks

Yes, maybe I shouldn't have posted this. It worked out well in the end, I was just a bit frustrated when I received my pens and felt like I had wasted my money. I don't still feel that way so you are probably right.

Any chance we could delete the thread. I do not want to damage anyones reputation or make any enemies.

Dan

Thanks
    Thanked 1,837 Times in 439 Posts

I don't think this thread needs to be deleted. The information will be useful to others in the future, both to buyers and sellers as they each can learn something from this situation. I also don't think you damaged anyone's reputation or made any enemies. You followed the rules for this forum (whether you read them or not) and presented factual information explaining the ordeal.