Thread: My first Parker...

Thanks

Default My first Parker...

So i finally received my Parker in the mail, along with a converter and ink'd it up. I was surprised, once it started it wrote quite smoothly, it does take a bit to get it going after sitting, even for just a few seconds but besides that it honestly writes better than I was expecting. I really don't know anything about it, and this definitely falls into that category of "I bought it 'cause it looked cool." I've been wanting a Camo(ish) fountain pen for a while, and have had a horrible time finding one, then stumbled across this one on eBay, the only information the seller really had was it was released around the same time as the first Rambo movie, and was supposedly done as a special edition?

The Cap is a two tone metal, on the back side does say it was made in Argentina. The nib is a Fine (i believe), and the barrel is black plastic with a dark green/light green camo pattern too it. The clutch ring shows some wear so I think I will try to find a replacement for that. I got a Parker slide converter for a few bucks to make sure everything worked, but I after looking at the squeeze converter I think eventually I would like to change to that instead. Anyways... here are a few pics not the best, taken from my Galaxy, I inked it up this morning with a sample of Super 5 Frankfurt.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dmitch86 For This Useful Post:

Haefennasiel (June 30th, 2016), Mr. Reader (June 16th, 2016), VegHead (June 19th, 2016)

Thanks

Default Re: My first Parker...

Enjoy your unique 45. Quite the conversation piece. Looks like a F steel nib.

Thanks

Thanks. Yeah, it is a steel nib. Are the gold nibs much better? I was anticipating getting a gold nib, but the nib on it is quite a lot smoother than I was expecting.
    Last edited by dmitch86; June 16th, 2016 at 10:14 AM.

Thanks

Gold is always better. #truth

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. The Following User Says Thank You to gwgtaylor For This Useful Post:

Mags (June 22nd, 2016)

Thanks

I generally prefer the gold nibs on the Parker 45 though I have one steel nib I like too. I find the 14k nibs a little smoother, wetter and springy but of course the beauty of the p45 is that if you have a pen body you like but a nib you like more on another you can just swap them out. Keep in mind there are 14k nibs, 12k, 10k, gold plated steel, steel, US, UK, France ... Etc. so lots of variety out there. I find the UK nibs run a little wider and particularly like UK M nibs.

Enjoy

Thanks

Wow, didn't realize there were that many nib options. How does a 14k differ from a 10k?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gwgtaylor View Post

...maybe on Parkers...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by inklord View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by gwgtaylor View Post

...maybe on Parkers...
    On any pen. Gold has qualities that steel does not. Not sure that it's worth the price difference but all other things equal, a gold nib will always out perform steel. Will outlast it too being more inert. #science

gregamckinney

As long as you keep using subjective terms like "better" and "out perform," I totally agree with you.
    However, I have steel nibs that are as good as my best gold nibs. As far as outlasting is concerned, with enough pens in the rotation, and good pen/ nib care, I would expect even 'ert' steel nibs to outlast me.

Regards, greg

12. The Following User Says Thank You to gregamckinney For This Useful Post:

inklord (June 20th, 2016)

Thanks

Sure. Totally agree. Some great steel nibs out there. No doubt.

Thanks

Just to add on to the conversation: http://edisonpen.com/in-praise-of-steel-nibs-2

15. The Following User Says Thank You to lowks For This Useful Post:

Thanks

The nib is so short and the hooded design makes it of little to no practical difference between gold and stainless steel.
    If anyone is feeling springiness in a 45 nib, you are pressing the pen down way too hard.
    IMHO, I would pick a gold nib only to match the gold trim on a 45 or to complement a particular color pen. This is a visual preference, not a performance difference.
    Otherwise, whatever nib is in the pen gold/plated/stainless makes no difference to me.
    San Francisco Pen Show 2017, August 25-27, 2017, Redwood City, California
    www.SFPenShow.com

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ac12 View Post
    The nib is so short and the hooded design makes it of little to no practical difference between gold and stainless steel.
    If anyone is feeling springiness in a 45 nib, you are pressing the pen down way too hard.
    IMHO, I would pick a gold nib only to match the gold trim on a 45 or to complement a particular color pen. This is a visual preference, not a performance difference.
    Otherwise, whatever nib is in the pen gold/plated/stainless makes no difference to me.
    I disagree with the above.

I have a handful of steel nib P45s and a few UK 14k nib 45s and if you A/B them as a group I think that you would see that the difference is very real. The writing experience is not the same and anyone with any powers of perception at all notice a difference. The Steel nibs are hard as nails and the 14k nibs (mine happen to be all UK made) have some small wiggle in them and it takes not a lot of pressure at all for normal downstrokes produce a wider, wetter line as the nib opens up a little. It isn't flex or semi flex but a little bit of softness that, while subtle, is noticeable and is enough that it puts more ink on the page.

I have a pretty good sample size (don't ask) and incidentally also noticed a similar experience A/B-ing my US and UK Parker 61s (the UK 61 was pretty rubbery, but like the 45 the nib movement is somewhat restricted by the hood), so maybe it has more to do with the US -v- UK nibs but they are not the same feel. If you were anywhere near me I'd challenge you to A/B my pens and see if you would notice an across the board difference between the steel nib 45s and the 14k nibs.

Not hating on steel nibs (generally) or steel nib 45s and maybe 14k USA nibs are as nail-like as the steel nibs, but my UK Insignia and my 14k nib UK Flighters are in a different class from the run of the mill steel nib p45s I own, which are lovely in their own way.

ymmv-ily yours

stub

18. The Following User Says Thank You to stub For This Useful Post:

Tracy Lee (June 20th, 2016)

Thanks

Gold better than steel? It costs more. I have several Parker 45s with a mix of gold and steel nibs. The best writer is a steel fine italic ground by Pendemonium. It is probably because they ground it that it's so good. The rest of my 45 nibs are so-so, whether gold or steel. The only good gold 45 nib I have is a fine gold one that sits in an Ariel Kullock purple swirly 45. It will stay moist for about a day. A heroic achievement for one of these pens. Before you 45 lovers bother refuting that, I have tried 45s since 1970 over and over, each time hopeful, and mostly whatever.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to pajaro For This Useful Post: