Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Coloring For Grown-ups, anyone?

Thanks
    Thanked 3,423 Times in 1,715 Posts

Default Coloring For Grown-ups, anyone?

As with the washi tape craze, I am way behind on coloring books. Pen pals had been mentioning them forever, so finally a light bulb went off in my poor excuse for a brain, and I hopped on the coloring bandwagon.

I have five coloring books, and I haven't touched a one until recently.

Well...I HAD four. Last week we had to run to the dollar store for some cheap plastic garden planters, and at the checkout line I noticed they had coloring books. Hey! A buck! It's got flowers in it! Okay!

Funny how I'm almost afraid to start in on the expensive ones (like that one with the fancy seahorse!) but with the dollar book and my cheapest (aka 'worst') colored pencils I just jumped right in.

What is that about me?

But at least now the ice is broken. In the interests of Science, I ordered a couple of other inexpensive pencil sets (that's right; saving my Prismacolors for the 'seahorse' book).

Immediately took on a second coloring book, this time with a mix of markers and pencil. Can you tell which is which?

These are the designs I favor: simple, lots of white space. And made of flowers.

One thing I learned: heavy pressure with pencils caused a sort of carbon paper effect on the back side and next page of the dollar store book. I've now inserted a piece of paper in between the pages and hope it will prevent that.

Do you color? And with what, on what?

I had fun re-arranging both my pencils and my markers. By the way, my 'worst' colored pencils are being sent to the cornfield.
    My other pen is a Montblanc.

And my other blog is a tumblr!

And my latest ebook, for spooky wintery reading:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0CM2NGSSD

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Sailor Kenshin For This Useful Post:

Crazyorange (June 25th, 2016), frmamede (December 26th, 2016), KKay (February 22nd, 2017), Marsilius (December 26th, 2016), Pterodactylus (June 25th, 2016), rgperedo (July 10th, 2016), sweetnightingale (December 31st, 2016), VertOlive (December 25th, 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,155 Times in 1,103 Posts

Default Re: Coloring For Grown-ups, anyone?

Very nice, Sailor. Beautiful colours.

I've been colouring pre-printed books, postcards and other items for about five years and have lots of books and sets of coloured pencils - my weapons of choice :-) I also sometimes use watercolour pens. I'm not keen on markers. I prefer to use top quality soft pencils on even the cheapest books, as I do a lot of layering and blending. Faber Castell Polychromos pencils knock the spots off Prsimacolor; I have both.

If you use coloured pencils you must get a blender pencil too. They give a much more cohesively blended effect.

To stop the problem of the pressure on a page causing the underside image to rub down, or to prevent pressure marks, I use a shitajiki (aka plastic writing board) under the page. I have several; the best one is a softish green one from Japan but I think Nanami Paper sells a similar one. These provide an excellent surface for colouring, as well as writing.

It's a fun and relaxing way to pass time isn't it? :-)

image.jpg
    Last edited by migo984; June 24th, 2016 at 05:44 PM.

4. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to migo984 For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

amk (December 27th, 2016), Crazyorange (June 25th, 2016), datainadequate (December 31st, 2016), frmamede (December 26th, 2016), KKay (February 22nd, 2017), Lady Onogaro (December 31st, 2016), lomogeek (February 25th, 2017), Marsilius (December 26th, 2016), Pterodactylus (June 25th, 2016), rgperedo (July 10th, 2016), Sailor Kenshin (June 25th, 2016), sweetnightingale (December 31st, 2016), VegHead (June 30th, 2016)

Thanks

Love your color palette, migo. And thanks for the tips! Yeah, the marker really bled through even the better quality book.

What book is that? It's the sort of design I like; I don't cotton to the very heavily detailed, thick black lines kind of page.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sailor Kenshin View Post
    Love your color palette, migo. And thanks for the tips! Yeah, the marker really bled through even the better quality book.

What book is that? It's the sort of design I like; I don't cotton to the very heavily detailed, thick black lines kind of page.
    I agree. I like the finer detailed ones. The page I posted is from Millie Marotta's "Animal Kingdom". It has really good quality, smooth white paper, although I've heard that some later editions had cream, more absorbent soft paper that didn't work so well.

There is such a vast choice of colouring books now I hardly know where to start when I go into a bookshop. There are some lovely flower themed ones - my favourite. A beautiful one is "Joyous Blooms to Color" by Eleri Fowler. Publisher Harper Collins. ISBN 978-0-06-244380-9.
    Attached Images Attached Images

7. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to migo984 For This Useful Post:

Crazyorange (June 25th, 2016), frmamede (December 26th, 2016), lomogeek (February 25th, 2017), Nomdeplume (January 3rd, 2017), Pterodactylus (June 25th, 2016), Sailor Kenshin (June 25th, 2016), sweetnightingale (December 31st, 2016)

Thanks

I picked up a set of a dozen Polychromos, after trying (and rejecting!) Sargent and Platinum (I was hoping they were from the pen manufacturer! Dohhh...). Hey, I already had bad pencils from Prang, Crayola, etc. So thanks, Migo....they are different and unusual.

A student set of Prismacolors worked well, though, and a new set of Koh-I-Noor, the people who make Miraculous Rapido-Eze, savior of my icked-up fleabay Osmiroid nibs.
    Last edited by Sailor Kenshin; July 1st, 2016 at 08:37 AM.

Thanks

Clairfontaine also markets adult coloring books!
    Choose from Birds, Nature, and Mandala (Designs)

97504_Clairefontaine_Coloring_Books_for_Adults_7_78_x_7_78_-_B_1014123.jpg.png97502_Clairefontaine_Coloring_Books_for_Adults_7_78_x_7_78_-_F_10132256.jpg.pngMandala.png

Authorized Dealer
    "When, in the course of writing events, it becomes self-evident that not all pens are created equal" (Federalist Frank)

Owner-
    http://federalistpensonline.com (Online Pen Store)
    (5% Discount for FPG Members! Use Code "FPG" at checkout!)

Follow store/forum at
    Linked-In!
    Like Us on
    Facebook !

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Frank For This Useful Post:

VertOlive (December 25th, 2016)

Thanks

Wow, migo984, your colouring is exquisit! Even just looking at your work is calming.

I bought "The Mindfulness Colouring Book" by Emma Farrarons a year ago (not that I consider myself busy, there wasn't much of a choice and I wasn't prepared to spend a lot) but it is still almost empty. I might start spending a couple of minutes each day colouring, I would love to finish it!

Before I bought the book I'd also been drawing my own mandalas and colouring them (with fountain pens!). At the moment I somehow can't find them so I can't share them, though.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Red Harry N. G. For This Useful Post:

migo984 (July 2nd, 2016)

Thanks

I was given an absolutely gorgeous colouring book last week for my birthday. It's called "Floribunda", and is an extra large size book of 20 designs, printed on top quality thick white card, that I think would be suitable for your choice of any colouring medium.

The designs are really intricate and totally absorbing to work on. I've just finished my first one, and it took me longer than any other design I've coloured before. I just love this book.

Coloured using Faber Castell Polychromos & Tombow Irojiten pencils. The camera has made the colours slightly brighter than they actually are. In reality they are slightly more muted.

image.jpg

14. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to migo984 For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

amk (December 27th, 2016), Crazyorange (July 3rd, 2016), Frank (December 28th, 2016), frmamede (December 26th, 2016), KKay (February 22nd, 2017), Neo (July 3rd, 2016), Nomdeplume (January 3rd, 2017), Pterodactylus (December 27th, 2016), Red Harry N. G. (July 6th, 2016), Sailor Kenshin (July 3rd, 2016), sweetnightingale (December 31st, 2016), Takasnooze (July 3rd, 2016), VegHead (July 2nd, 2016), VertOlive (December 25th, 2016)

Thanks

Beautiful, migo!

I now have an Official Upstairs and Downstairs set of coloring books, with markers and pencils in each location.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,788 Times in 1,642 Posts

The innovative and incomparable liturgical artist Daniel Mitsui ( currently working on a Vatican commission) offers free coloring pages on his website. There are also two coloring books which feature his art.

His work features a mix of traditional Japanese style and western medieval art.
    "Nolo esse salus sine vobis ...” —St. Augustine

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to VertOlive For This Useful Post:

KKay (February 22nd, 2017), Sailor Kenshin (December 26th, 2016), VegHead (December 26th, 2016)

Thanks

I really like coloring books! I was just about to take some pics and share with you guys, but gave up after seeing Sailor's and Migo's drawings. lol
    My colorings are too juvenile in comparison...
    "The pen is mightier than the sword"
    Edward Bulwer-Lytton

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by frmamede View Post
    I really like coloring books! I was just about to take some pics and share with you guys, but gave up after seeing Sailor's and Migo's drawings. lol
    My colorings are too juvenile in comparison...
    Oh please do share! I love seeing other people's work. I bet you're much better than you say your are. We are, after all, our own harshest critics

20. The Following User Says Thank You to migo984 For This Useful Post:

Sailor Kenshin (December 26th, 2016)

Thanks

I'll give it a shot, then...
    The book is actually very cool. It's full of "mandala" type drawings, representing different cultures of the world!

IMG_20161226_091313645_HDR.jpg

Some drawings are too "crowded", and I avoid those. I like the "minimalist" approach, if there is such a thing... lol

IMG_20161226_091346625_HDR.jpgIMG_20161226_091400981_HDR.jpg
    Edward Bulwer-Lytton

22. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to frmamede For This Useful Post:

Frank (December 28th, 2016), Lady Onogaro (December 31st, 2016), migo984 (December 26th, 2016), Sailor Kenshin (December 26th, 2016), sgtstretch (December 26th, 2016), Takasnooze (February 22nd, 2017), VertOlive (December 26th, 2016)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by frmamede View Post
    I'll give it a shot, then...
    The book is actually very cool. It's full of "mandala" type drawings, representing different cultures of the world!

IMG_20161226_091313645_HDR.jpg

Some drawings are too "crowded", and I avoid those. I like the "minimalist" approach, if there is such a thing... lol

IMG_20161226_091346625_HDR.jpgIMG_20161226_091400981_HDR.jpg
    Thanks for showing us your colouring book, Filipe. Really good stuff. I agree - those are really cool designs. I especially like the Japanese-style mandala. I'm a big fan of symmetry, so the designs really appeal to me.
    What colouring pens/pencils do you use? Are these colouring books easy to get hold of in Brazil?

24. The Following User Says Thank You to migo984 For This Useful Post:

frmamede (December 26th, 2016)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by migo984 View Post
    Thanks for showing us your colouring book, Filipe. Really good stuff. I agree - those are really cool designs. I especially like the Japanese-style mandala. I'm a big fan of symmetry, so the designs really appeal to me.
    What colouring pens/pencils do you use? Are these colouring books easy to get hold of in Brazil?
    Thanks! I've been using the Faber Castell 48 color set, which is kind of nice, I guess (I know little about pencils...)
    As to the book, I searched but couldn't find it in Brazil. I got it in 2014, while travelling to Peru...
    Edward Bulwer-Lytton

Thanks

My wife and 21 year old granddaughter are into adult colouring books. It is very relaxing for them. The granddaughter got interested when I suggested it might help her reduce her work-induced stress level.

Thanks

It's not my thing, but the Spousal Unit is a colorer, pencils and markers. I got her a butterflies coloring book for Christmas, and our younger son also gave her a coloring book.
    In my mug: Sailor 21 P-P M, Cross Solo M, Online Calligraphy, Monteverde Invincia F, Hero 359 M, Jinhao X450 M, Levenger T-W M, Jinhao 159 , Platinum Balance F, TWSBI Classic 1.1, Platinum Preppy 0.3 F, 7 Pilot Varsities, Speedball penholder, TWSBI 580 USA EF, Pilot MR, Ahab 1.1, another Preppy 0.3, Preppy EF 0.2, ASA Sniper F, Click Majestic F, Kaweco Sport M, Pilot Prera F, Baoer 79 M, Hero 616 M, Jinhao X750

31 and counting

DaveBj

Thanks

It's been a while since I've been on the forums. I saw this thread and had to jump in. I got on the adult coloring books bandwagon late in 2015 and haven't turned back. I have a good number of books in my collection and really enjoy coloring while listening to an audiobook. I use mostly colored pencils but do have some fine liners amd other markers. I'll go through my stash of completed pages and post some here, although mine don't compare to the beautiful work I've seen here. It's very relaxing for sure, and I'm definitely hooked.

29. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sweetnightingale For This Useful Post:

Lady Onogaro (December 31st, 2016), migo984 (January 10th, 2017)

Thanks

I just got the Disney Villains book for Christmas. Once I get a page done, I'll be sure to share

31. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to naimitsu For This Useful Post:

lomogeek (February 25th, 2017), migo984 (January 10th, 2017), sweetnightingale (January 9th, 2017)

Thanks

I have that book, too! I've got all the Disney ones in that series and they are nice. Some challenging pages but ones that will be fun to do.

33. The Following User Says Thank You to sweetnightingale For This Useful Post:

migo984 (January 10th, 2017)