Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Islam Thread

Thanks

Default Re: The Islam Thread

For the record, I am a Muslim.

Me, my mosque, my people, and in fact my religion categorically and unconditionally condemn the senseless killing of innocent people.

Let me be clear, no one is defending these heinous crimes. We are saying these acts are completely against what we believe in, we condemn it and although the perpetrators want to make it look like they are done in Islam's name we want to say these acts are in no way associated with Islam. These acts are committed to advance an agenda. They are meant to spread terror. It's very unfortunate that these mass criminals associate their agenda with Islam.

We Muslims are taught by our religion to live a peaceful life. Be a law-abiding person. Don't do harm to others. Those are among the core teachings of Islam.

You CANNOT violate those tenets and continue to call yourself a Muslim and wave a Muslim flag and associate these crimes with Islam in any way.

What you are not seeing are the millions upon billions of peaceful Muslims who adhere to the faith and live peacefully and condemn these acts of terror.
    Last edited by pepsiplease69; July 18th, 2016 at 07:43 AM.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to pepsiplease69 For This Useful Post:

Crazyorange (July 18th, 2016), HughC (July 18th, 2016), jar (July 18th, 2016), myu (July 18th, 2016)

Thanks

^ I'd like to gain some clarity, so please overlook any ignorance on my part concerning matters of Islam.

In Christianity, there are two main volumes to the Bible -- the Old Testament and the New Testament. The Old Testament condoned slavery, stoning, rape, and murder of people. But the New Testament was a revolution to the old ways. Despite this, at various periods of time, hard line fundamentalist Christians considered the Old Testament fully applicable, even the archaic laws. That's what helped fuel the Crusades. And even within sects of Christianity, there were bloody conflicts. Eventually, a more peaceful approach to Christianity prevailed... leading up to modern times.

In the Qu'ran, it seems that there are many passages which condone the killing of infidels (non-believers), intolerance of other religions (to the point of violence against non-Islamic people) and execution for apostasy. Is there some delineation of time whereby those older ways are surpassed with a more peaceful, humane approach? Or does it become a matter of choice, for Muslims to simply reason that those older ways are incompatible with modern times and are therefore not followed? By choice is how I understand it. That unfortunately leaves more up to interpretation... which makes it sound like it's easier for one to consider Sharia law as complete in all respects.

But the really serious issue is this awful schism between Sunni and Shia. It is growing to such a fervor, that people are warring over this, killing thousands. This is just like going back to Medieval times. All because of a question about whether or not a bloodline from Mohammed is required for religious authenticity. This schism has been going on for centuries... never resolved. Despite all the supposed guidance from the divinity, nobody can fix it. And now... the extremism comes into play, which then also emboldens purists who want to return to the way things were before Mohammed died, enacting jihad.

Sunni is clearly dominant... Shia refuses to acquiesce, despite the lives lost. If this is never resolved, there will never be peace. And this leaves everyone else looking at this religion with tremendous distrust.... even though a vast majority of Muslims would really just prefer to live in peace. Is that about right?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by myu View Post
    ^ I'd like to gain some clarity, so please overlook any ignorance on my part concerning matters of Islam.

In Christianity, there are two main volumes to the Bible -- the Old Testament and the New Testament. The Old Testament condoned slavery, stoning, rape, and murder of people. But the New Testament was a revolution to the old ways. Despite this, at various periods of time, hard line fundamentalist Christians considered the Old Testament fully applicable, even the archaic laws. That's what helped fuel the Crusades. And even within sects of Christianity, there were bloody conflicts. Eventually, a more peaceful approach to Christianity prevailed... leading up to modern times.

In the Qu'ran, it seems that there are many passages which condone the killing of infidels (non-believers), intolerance of other religions (to the point of violence against non-Islamic people) and execution for apostasy. Is there some delineation of time whereby those older ways are surpassed with a more peaceful, humane approach? Or does it become a matter of choice, for Muslims to simply reason that those older ways are incompatible with modern times and are therefore not followed? By choice is how I understand it. That unfortunately leaves more up to interpretation... which makes it sound like it's easier for one to consider Sharia law as complete in all respects.

But the really serious issue is this awful schism between Sunni and Shia. It is growing to such a fervor, that people are warring over this, killing thousands. This is just like going back to Medieval times. All because of a question about whether or not a bloodline from Mohammed is required for religious authenticity. This schism has been going on for centuries... never resolved. Despite all the supposed guidance from the divinity, nobody can fix it. And now... the extremism comes into play, which then also emboldens purists who want to return to the way things were before Mohammed died, enacting jihad.

Sunni is clearly dominant... Shia refuses to acquiesce, despite the lives lost. If this is never resolved, there will never be peace. And this leaves everyone else looking at this religion with tremendous distrust.... even though a vast majority of Muslims would really just prefer to live in peace. Is that about right?
    Judaism, Christianity and Islam are all Abrahamic religions , that is all claim a link to Abraham although most Christians consider themselves as gentiles grafted to the family tree. The Old Testament is derived from the Jewish bible. The Quran also incorporates Jewish history into it's own. In a very simplistic way all three are just different offshoots of the same religion ( same God, Prophets etc.) that have evolved differently over time. Just as there are many subsets of Christians ( Catholic, Church of England etc.) there are many subsets in Islam and they have outlooks of varying "strictness". To categorize Sunnis, for instance, as all having the same views is incorrect. More to the point is a small number of people make the majority of the problems we see and they're not representative of the religion as a whole. Well that's my take on it and I'm open to being corrected.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,711 Times in 1,610 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by myu View Post

The great divide exists in many different religions and Christianity is not very different when if comes to internal fighting and killing than Islam. In Christianity, there is no evidence on a break in internal conflicts between sects related in time to the advent of the New Testament. As long as Christianity was a small minority they were not in a position to oppress others but only a few hundred years after Jesus death that changed when they became a State Religion. From then on, for over a thousand years, Christianity was the most violent force on Earth, utterly destroying and in many cases totally wiping out any other religion that they encountered. Historically it has been the most intolerant religion on Earth.

That intolerance continued with the exportation of Christianity to the New World as well as to much of Southern Africa. In Europe only the Jews were left to oppress and Christians did continue with laws restricting what Jews could do or own as well as repeated Pogroms when Jews were killed and their properties confiscated.

In the mid 1500's Henry established the first Non-Roman Catholic Christian State religion (only a few years after he had been given the title of Defender of the Faith by Pope Leo X partially for Henry's support in violently suppressing Protestants in Europe) and the violence increased between the various Christian sects. That remained the norm through subsequent reigns of Edward, Mary and Elizabeth. Under James I and VI an attempt was made to reduce the inter-Christian violence with the introduction of a Politically Correct Authorized Bible (the KJV) that removed the papal condemnation found in some other versions and more closely following the Roman Catholic liturgy but much of the inter-Faith conflicts continued through the Protectorate and mid 1600s.

The US is a great illustration of just how great the conflicts were. New England was established as a sanctuary for the Puritans while Maryland was a sanctuary for Roman Catholics and Rhode Island (Providence Plantations) a refuge of a theologian thrown out of Massachusetts while Pennsylvania was a refuge for the Dutch Friends, Amish and Mennonites. None of them got along with the others and all tried to impose their version of Christianity by law and force. All did agree that God wanted them to wipe out any vestiges of other religions that had grown up among the displaced natives.

The 1st. Amendment to the US Constitution was created to specifically stop the Christian Inter-faith violence and the imposition of ANY religious standards on the population in general.

But until very, very recently, violence between the different Christian sects as well as violence by Christianity towards any other religious system was the norm.

Today the violence has shifted to the Sunni/Shia (and other smaller Muslim sects) but just as with Christianity it is far less about beliefs but rather about power. Just as with Christianity it is about who would control the government, the resources, the wealth and the power.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to jar For This Useful Post:

myu (March 8th, 2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MTurbo View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by EmreMusovi View Post
    Well even though I don't have strong religious roots and beliefs, this thread really annoys me...
    Most of the sheep in the world would be bothered with this thread.
    "Greater is an army of sheep led by lions, than an army of lions led by sheep."

Variously attributed to Chabrias, Alexander the Great, and Daniel Defoe, amongst others; and something the England football team would do well to meditate upon.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to SIR For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mk2579 View Post
    I think it is the British, actually the ENGLISH, that are responsible for virtually ALL the problems, both past and present in this world.

Now they have visited Brexit upon their own people, a serious storm of bad luck is due to land on its shores for at least the next 100 years, possibly more.
    I think we have a new Nostradamus...

Great Britain was Great before joining the EU, was Great whilst being part of the EU, and will continue to be Great after leaving the EU.

If you ever find a true English person, I'm sure they'll correct your bigoted opinion.
    Last edited by SIR; July 19th, 2016 at 08:21 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,281 Times in 1,306 Posts

I think whoever is 'in charge' around here should delete this thread and replace it with one attacking only English people LOL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Perhaps you missed the subtext of this particular forum.

"Topics pertaining to politics, religion, philosophy, and social issues. Not for the faint of heart. Also, do not post while high on ink fumes or after using ballpoints. However, please post as much as you want if coming from FPN. You have been warned."

This is not the modern university, where students are sheltered from micro-agressions in their safe-spaces; and the growing trend to stifle discussion of difficult topics is disturbing. The real world will continue in its spectrum of good and evil, indifferent to your protests. Some recognize that and see the value in discussing human events, even if they are troubling.

If you can't stomach confrontational topics, feel free to spend your time in the other areas of this forum. Perhaps something discussing the best shade of Royal Blue? If the temptation to peek in here is too much, and you lack the self control; you could alternatively spend your time on FPN where this sort of discussion is forbidden.

If, on the other hand, you feel capable of having adult conversations about difficult subjects (which you don't appear to); stick around. Anything in this section is bound to be contentious.

Thanks

What a load of drivel.

Piling ignorance upon ignorance and classing it as "brave discussion" does not make you in any sense "brave", and CERTAINLY not in any sense clever". I say SHUT IT DOWN.
    I didn't say anything about bravery or cleverness.

I say GO BACK TO LURKING.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to dneal For This Useful Post:

SIR (July 20th, 2016)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SIR View Post
    I think it is the British, actually the ENGLISH, that are responsible for virtually ALL the problems, both past and present in this world.

Now they have visited Brexit upon their own people, a serious storm of bad luck is due to land on its shores for at least the next 100 years, possibly more.
    I

Great Britain was Great before joining the EU, was Great whilst being part of the EU, and will continue to be Great after leaving the EU.

If you ever find a true English person, I'm sure they'll correct your bigoted opinion.
    Also, what is a "true English person"?

Ironic...

Thanks

I

Ironic...
    If the Mayor of London is a true English person then the true English person is a Sunni Muslim.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jar For This Useful Post:

HughC (July 19th, 2016), SIR (July 20th, 2016)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dneal View Post
    I think whoever is 'in charge' around here should delete this thread and replace it with one attacking only English people LOL

"Topics pertaining to politics, religion, philosophy, and social issues. Not for the faint of heart. Also, do not post while high on ink fumes or after using ballpoints. However, please post as much as you want if coming from FPN. You have been warned."

This is not the modern university, where students are sheltered from micro-agressions in their safe-spaces; and the growing trend to stifle discussion of difficult topics is disturbing. The real world will continue in its spectrum of good and evil, indifferent to your protests. Some recognize that and see the value in discussing human events, even if they are troubling.

If you can't stomach confrontational topics, feel free to spend your time in the other areas of this forum. Perhaps something discussing the best shade of Royal Blue? If the temptation to peek in here is too much, and you lack the self control; you could alternatively spend your time on FPN where this sort of discussion is forbidden.

If, on the other hand, you feel capable of having adult conversations about difficult subjects (which you don't appear to); stick around. Anything in this section is bound to be contentious.
    Hypocrite.

Thanks

Cool Re: The Islam Thread

Quote Originally Posted by jar View Post

I

Ironic...
    If the Mayor of London is a true English person then the true English person is a Sunni Muslim.
    Well, he is British... but personally, given the choice and despite my very limited experience, I think I prefer Shia muslims - even if nobody else does!

A true English person would need to be indigenous and uncontaminated by two thousand years of foreign rule, right?
    e.g. not Roman, Saxon, Danish, Norse, French, or Spanish (let's not forget the first Queen of All England* married a Spaniard who brought many of his countrymen to England in the process...).

*{et al... "By the Grace of God, Queen of England and France, Naples, Jerusalem and Ireland, Defender of the Faith, Princess of Spain and Sicily, Archduchess of Austria, Duchess of Milan, Burgundy, and Brabant, Countess of Habsburg, Flanders, and Tyrol"}
    Last edited by SIR; July 20th, 2016 at 01:45 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by HughC View Post

Hypocrite.
    Said the pouting crybaby who won't converse any longer... Grow up.

Thanks

Hypocrite.
    Really !! You've previously "cherry picked" data and fraudulently presented it as fact ( to anyone interested this is easily shown and I gave you ample opportunity to correct) and now you claim the moral high ground ? You lied, it's that simple...and around here you earn the right to the moral high ground and that's something you haven't done. I gave you the benefit of the doubt now all I see is a fraud....what else have you misrepresented ?

Thanks

A true English person would need to be indigenous and uncontaminated by two thousand years of foreign rule, right?
    e.g. not Roman, Saxon, Danish, Norse, French, or Spanish (let's not forget the first Queen of All England* married a Spaniard who brought many of his countrymen to England in the process...).

*{et al... "By the Grace of God, Queen of England and France, Naples, Jerusalem and Ireland, Defender of the Faith, Princess of Spain and Sicily, Archduchess of Austria, Duchess of Milan, Burgundy, and Brabant, Countess of Habsburg, Flanders, and Tyrol"}
    Was that the daughter of Catherine of Aragon which is just outside Manchester or maybe some other chester or ford or bridge?

Thanks

Hypocrite.
    Really !! You've previously "cherry picked" data and fraudulently presented it as fact ( to anyone interested this is easily shown and I gave you ample opportunity to correct) and now you claim the moral high ground ? You lied, it's that simple...and around here you earn the right to the moral high ground and that's something you haven't done. I gave you the benefit of the doubt now all I see is a fraud....what else have you misrepresented ?
    Please keep your problems with that thread, in that thread. You look like an internet stalker.

--edit--

I almost forgot... Strawman.
    Last edited by dneal; July 20th, 2016 at 07:45 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jar View Post
    Was that the daughter of Catherine of Aragon ..?
    Right,
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mary_I_of_England

Thanks

Hypocrite.
    Please keep your problems with that thread, in that thread. You look like an internet stalker.

--edit--

It's simple...behave properly.

Thanks

Hypocrite.

--edit--

It's simple...behave properly.
    Hypocrite

Thanks

[QUOTE=dneal;177424
    I say GO BACK TO LURKING.
    [/QUOTE]

All that outpouring of meaningless dribble because someone posted a tongue in cheek comment..

and you wonder why you come across as a complete idiot...