Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Pen Collecting...Do you plan?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,798 Times in 943 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by snedwos View Post
    It isn't but, it's that same sort of idea of a composite material.

KI, do you have a gold plated pen for C3PO?
    Not a fountain pen. I do have an old Cross ballpoint somewhere.
    Fountain Pen Sith Lord | Daakusaido | Everything in one spot

Thanks
    Thanked 1,222 Times in 598 Posts

It isn't but, it's that same sort of idea of a composite material.

KI, do you have a gold plated pen for C3PO?
    Bryant at pentime posted a thing on FPN called "Design Your own pen!", and he said stipula is very easy to work with for small production things. If stipula made that LE that KI has, then maybe they could make a similar pen with a gold plated overlay. Just an idea...
    Will
    If my p.m box is full, feel free to email me at dabantur@gmail.com.

Thanks

Well, I know what pens I want to have, however the majority of those pens are out of my budget. Instead I console myself with pens that I quite enjoy that a lot more within my price range. I have a list, but thanks to the people mentioned in Bogon07's post (including KI) that list is getting a little out of hand.

Thanks

Sure I plan. One of each and every colour and size Esterbrook did. It will take a while, since I have limited funds.

Thanks

Plan?

Thanks

Not so much plan, as plot!
    "What are moon-letters?" asked the hobbit full of excitement. He loved maps, as I have told you before; and he also loved runes and letters, and cunning handwriting, though when he wrote himself it was a bit thin and spidery.

Thanks

Buy as many pens as my wife will let me.

Yes I have a Wants list which I am working through. So yes I plan - it limits my spending!
    Last edited by JustDaveyB; February 21st, 2013 at 06:53 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,764 Times in 808 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JustDaveyB View Post
    Buy as many pens as my wife will let me.

Yes I have a Wants list which I am working through. So yes I plan - it limits my spending!
    I keep encouraging my wife to get more fancy hand-dyed wool as part of my plan. Asking her which colour pen looks best also seems to help (very slightly).

I've crossed a few pens off the wish list but seem to add atleast an equal number in return.
    And thanks to JDB, keep looking longingly at the Pelikan Lizard.
    And the
    Pilot Vanishing Point Fountain Pen - Raden Water Surface with Rhodium Trim &
    Pilot Vanishing Point Fountain Pen - Raden Stripe with Rhodium Trim
    Last edited by Bogon07; February 21st, 2013 at 09:52 PM.
    sinistral hypergraphica - a slurry of ink
    "Nothing means less than zero"

Thanks

Well, I can't say I have seen this before, but I do like the presentation! I remember seeing the first Star Wars in 1977 when I was 12 years old; wow, such a long time ago now, and it was a great experience.

Greg Minuskin
    www.gregminuskin.com
    greg@gregminuskin.com

Thanks

I collect mainly vintage fountain pens, I do have modern pens also. My original focus was Waterman, so many models are fragile making it difficult to repair them. Now my focus is Esterbrooks, they are easily re sacked, they are sturdy, have interchangeable nibs, and prices are reasonable.
    While I have not joined the ranks of TWSBI fans, the TWBSI 700 Vac is on my wish list.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,222 Times in 598 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by southpaw52 View Post
    I collect mainly vintage fountain pens, I do have modern pens also. My original focus was Waterman, so many models are fragile making it difficult to repair them. Now my focus is Esterbrooks, they are easily re sacked, they are sturdy, have interchangeable nibs, and prices are reasonable.
    While I have not joined the ranks of TWSBI fans, the TWBSI 700 Vac is on my wish list.
    I think I am similar in that I like both vintage and modern pens...I just don't find vintage pens to be as good a deal. If a pen is really nice, then it is probably really expensive...this doesn't necessarily seem to be the case with vintage pens. I've never heard of Waterman's being so fragile..would you care to explain what pens you are talking about?
    Will
    If my p.m box is full, feel free to email me at dabantur@gmail.com.

Thanks

Being new to the whole fountain pen thing, and only owning 2 Lamy's, I'm not very focused in where I want to go with my collecting. I definitely want a Visconti Homo Sapiens bronze, that is my only £100+ desire at the moment. It's more to do with the fact that it is a basalt/resin material, and how basalt is such an amazing material. The fact that it is cooled lava is quite striking for me, as it is what makes up the sub-terrain on the earths crust. It's a volatile part of our world that has spewed onto the surface. A very "earthy" material. The palladium nib is a big one for me too, as it's such a great metal, so much so in fact that it is the metal of choice for me and my future wifes wedding rings. I am not a huge fan of yellow gold, and white gold is doped with nickel for the whiteness, so isn't "pure", and palladium is a very hard metal. Symbolically, it is a pure and strong band that represents our marriage, that requires a lot of working to make into something beautiful The Homo Sapiens to me is a pen that represents the raw nature of earth, the purity and strength of hard work, and how we can harness these qualities and mould them into what we need. This pen is going to be very special to me, and I will be reserving it for big things in my life: marriage certificate, birth certificate/s, mortgages, wills, etc.

Material engineering and sentiment, together in a long arse paragraph!

Other pen-wise, I'm not massively keen on vintage pens, yet. I like modern designs. I would love a Sheaffer Intensity in carbon fibre because the material interests me, in its applications and fabrication. I used to work as an aircraft fitter and use to make components from this stuff. It is a fantastically brilliant material, and is really versatile.

I also really like the Porsche Design P'3110 'Tecflex' PVD black, for aesthetic reasons above anything else. It may be an absolute shit writer, but I like the design. Not too keen on price though!

Maybe as I collect more, my tastes will broaden.

Thanks

Also, I'm kinda getting into mechanical pencils for doing technical drawings.

Thanks

I don't really have a plan, since there aren't a lot of specific pens I want. Two on the horizon for me would be a Vac 700 (in blue, please!) and possibly the Diamond 580, once it comes out and I can see what it's all about, exactly. And as a big maybe...MAYBE...I might someday want a Vanishing Point pen. Before I was a sucker for demonstrator fountain pens, I was a sucker for retractable gel ink pens, so sure--I wouldn't mind smooshing the two together and having a retractable fountain pen someday. :P

Past that, though? No real plan. I do tend to prefer workhorse pens, though.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,570 Times in 669 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TheRoXFiles View Post
    I don't really have a plan, since there aren't a lot of specific pens I want. Two on the horizon for me would be a Vac 700 (in blue, please!) and possibly the Diamond 580, once it comes out and I can see what it's all about, exactly. And as a big maybe...MAYBE...I might someday want a Vanishing Point pen. Before I was a sucker for demonstrator fountain pens, I was a sucker for retractable gel ink pens, so sure--I wouldn't mind smooshing the two together and having a retractable fountain pen someday. :P

Past that, though? No real plan. I do tend to prefer workhorse pens, though.
    Sounds like you need a Vanishing point! I have several - outstanding pens and with a smooshable click you have the best of both worlds!!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy Lee View Post
    Sounds like you need a Vanishing point! I have several - outstanding pens and with a smooshable click you have the best of both worlds!!
    Oooooh, sounds spiffy! I just might have to save my pennies to get one someday. Aside from money, though, I think the only other hurdle to get past are my geek girl sensibilities. I love shiny new gadgets, and when the first iPod (with the click-wheel) originally came out back in, oh...2001 or something?...it didn't take me long to start using the iPod's price point as a yardstick to decide whether a given item I'd want would be worth buying. My general rule has been: When I start getting into iPod (or iPad, or computer) territory with prices, I start asking: Is item X worth buying if I could buy, say...a new iPod (or iPad or computer) with this money instead? When I start putting things into perspective that way, that does make me walk away from certain things that catch my eye.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,570 Times in 669 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TheRoXFiles View Post
    Oooooh, sounds spiffy! I just might have to save my pennies to get one someday. Aside from money, though, I think the only other hurdle to get past are my geek girl sensibilities. I love shiny new gadgets, and when the first iPod (with the click-wheel) originally came out back in, oh...2001 or something?...it didn't take me long to start using the iPod's price point as a yardstick to decide whether a given item I'd want would be worth buying. My general rule has been: When I start getting into iPod (or iPad, or computer) territory with prices, I start asking: Is item X worth buying if I could buy, say...a new iPod (or iPad or computer) with this money instead? When I start putting things into perspective that way, that does make me walk away from certain things that catch my eye.
    Wish I had that much discipline! The pens I ink and carry every day could probably pay for 6 or 8 iPads. I can't relate the cost of a pen I am in love with and must have, to the cost of anything else. I should give that a try, because I think it has worked when shopping for other things. Just something about pens makes all of that dissolve. And consequently makes me poor.

Thanks

Well...I'm not sure it's discipline so much as my geek girl sensibilities. I have to say, too--it's my love of shiny new gadgets that also attracted me to fountain pens. I consider them to be devices, sorta...other pens are just pens, but fountain pens are special enough for me to consider them to be devices. It doesn't matter that the technology of fountain pens are low-tech compared to iPads or computers or that it's a lot older than the technology going into these electronic devices. The technology that goes into these pens is what I find most intriguing because it's lasted as long as it has--it's pretty much withstood the test of time, and the age of the Internet and lightning-fast communication hasn't killed it off at all. That and there are plenty of these pens that can be completely taken apart and maintained. As much as I love my shiny gadgets with the touch screens and buttons and apps, well...I'd have to get them serviced somewhere if something goes wrong with them. But I can take my pens completely apart and maintain them myself--and I'm a novice. And I'm at least at the point where I can customize my pens by filling them with ink on my own instead of relying on cartridges or refills, like I used to do with the last ballpoint pen I used (a Pilot Dr. Grip pen). There's something really satisfying about knowing I can take care of my pens on my own like that. For me, this is one of the other perks of owning fountain pens.

Anyway...I think that because the other stuff I'd really want to spend my money on, aside from fountain pens, can get really pricey as it is, I started prioritizing things out in my head somewhat. I know that I love being an early adopter of technology, so I have to plan for that first and other splurges later...or try to. :P I'm not perfect at this, but I do try.

Thanks

Sounds like you need too try building your own computer someday... It's a project that's lurking in the back of my mind too.
    "What are moon-letters?" asked the hobbit full of excitement. He loved maps, as I have told you before; and he also loved runes and letters, and cunning handwriting, though when he wrote himself it was a bit thin and spidery.

Thanks

Sounds like you need too try building your own computer someday... It's a project that's lurking in the back of my mind too.
    The closest thing I've done so far to building my own computer is watching my neighbor do it. He had me accompany him to a computer store to buy parts and watch the whole process from start to finish and showed me that it's easier than ever to build them nowadays because the components basically just snap together, and it's not like how it was back in the...late 80's, maybe? Or early 90's? I remember how, as a kid, I'd seen some mini-series on public television about how to build your own computer, and it looked extremely complicated...but the hosts of the show were trying very hard to make it look as easy as any other DIY, home improvement type project that would be airing in that time slot, bless their hearts. But no...my neighbor showed me that it's really not that bad, since you're basically just snapping pieces into place now and you don't necessarily need to know every single thing about computers to do this. You just need to know where everything goes and you can build a computer.