Thread: Exciting House Times

Senior Member Waski_the_Squirrel's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Exciting House Times

I have lived in my current house for several years. The previous owner was great at starting projects, but not finishing them. Over the years, I've been finishing her projects, and I took one summer off due to injury that made work impossible.

This summer, my project is trim around the doors. I am very glad that I live in a small house! I just took delivery on 4" mdf and some outside corner pieces. The mdf comes in 16 foot lengths. Laying in here on the floor, it stretches almost the full length of the house. If it weren't for the kitchen addition, it is actually too long to fit in the original part of the house! It really brings home just how small my house is.

Anyway, I want to share my progress and, in a few days, hopefully share the final product.

Here is the wall in question when I first moved in. The rug in the bedroom is because the previous owner randomly stopped installing the floor.

Here is after I installed the rest of the floor (not visible) and I closed off one of the doors. I figured the bedroom only needed one door!

So then I had to prime and paint. Painting the ceiling in the living room white instead of brown did wonders for that room.

I know bright colors aren't to everyone's taste, but putting on this paint was almost magical. It made the room come alive.

And I just took this one with the iPad. I'll be putting trim around these doors as well as other doors in the house.

So, stay tuned. I will paint the doors, and I have a new (but old fashioned) doorknob for the bedroom. I was surprised you can still buy the old-fashioned style doorknobs! I also will be installing the trim as soon as the loaner nailer gets here. With mdf, I need a special nailer.

2. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Waski_the_Squirrel For This Useful Post:

Crazyorange (July 23rd, 2016), Dreck (July 25th, 2016), Jon Szanto (July 23rd, 2016), KKay (July 23rd, 2016), Lady Onogaro (July 23rd, 2016), Marsilius (July 24th, 2016), MY63 (July 22nd, 2016), Sailor Kenshin (July 23rd, 2016), sharmon202 (July 23rd, 2016)

Thanks

Default Re: Exciting House Times

nice that has brightened up the room no end. thumbs up. Vera

Thanks
    Thanked 2,008 Times in 819 Posts

Nice work, from my experience don't expect the corners to be 90 degrees none of ours were I marked each one to the frame in the end.
    Looking forward to seeing the finished job.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,579 Times in 943 Posts

We painted our kitchen in about that shade of yellow (it was green when we moved in), and it really made it quite a cheerful place. I do believe the colors of your walls make a bit difference on how much you enjoy a room. What color will the trim on the doors be?
    Lady Onogaro

"Be yourself--everybody else is already taken." --Oscar Wilde

Thanks
    Thanked 2,016 Times in 837 Posts

Awesome job.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Onogaro View Post
    We painted our kitchen in about that shade of yellow (it was green when we moved in), and it really made it quite a cheerful place. I do believe the colors of your walls make a bit difference on how much you enjoy a room. What color will the trim on the doors be?
    It's called "Tahitian Vanilla" but that's a fancy word for "almost white". I'm still waiting on the nailer for putting up the trim, but I started painting the doors and door frames. I should have painted the doors years ago. It's already a night and day difference!

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Waski_the_Squirrel For This Useful Post:

Lady Onogaro (July 23rd, 2016), Marsilius (July 24th, 2016)

Thanks

The doors are painted. The bedroom doorknob is installed. I am now stalled until my friend comes through with the nailer.

10. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Waski_the_Squirrel For This Useful Post:

Crazyorange (July 24th, 2016), Dreck (July 25th, 2016), Lady Onogaro (July 26th, 2016), Marsilius (July 24th, 2016), MY63 (July 27th, 2016), sgtstretch (July 25th, 2016)

Thanks

The inside trim and the outside trim is up in the living room. I did order enough outside trim, but ran into a hiccup in the kitchen: I'm left with a bunch of really short pieces. So, I bought two more long pieces today to prime and paint. So, I won't have it all up until tomorrow.

Meanwhile, when I paint today, I'll work on nail holes and such on the installed trim. But, here it is as it looks right now. I can't wait to get rid of the construction mess, but I'm really excited to have up trim in my living room. Baseboard will be a later project (maybe this winter).

Last edited by Waski_the_Squirrel; July 26th, 2016 at 08:58 PM.

12. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Waski_the_Squirrel For This Useful Post:

Crazyorange (July 27th, 2016), ethernautrix (August 2nd, 2016), Jon Szanto (July 26th, 2016), Lady Onogaro (July 26th, 2016), MY63 (July 27th, 2016), pengeezer (July 27th, 2016)

Thanks

Need to try another attempt with a pic....didn't come through.

John

14. The Following User Says Thank You to pengeezer For This Useful Post:

Waski_the_Squirrel (July 26th, 2016)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pengeezer View Post
    Need to try another attempt with a pic....didn't come through.

John
    Sorry! I just fixed the link.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,579 Times in 943 Posts

It's looking really good. It's bright and cheery.
    Lady Onogaro

"Be yourself--everybody else is already taken." --Oscar Wilde

Thanks
    Thanked 11,067 Times in 4,019 Posts

Man, isn't it amazing what trim can do to a room?

When we had some work done in our living room a few years ago, things were actually partway done when one of the subs said "Hey, this room would look really nice with the addition of crown molding. Oh my, what a small investment for such a step up in the look of a room!

Looking forward to future pics!
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post
    Man, isn't it amazing what trim can do to a room?

When we had some work done in our living room a few years ago, things were actually partway done when one of the subs said "Hey, this room would look really nice with the addition of crown molding. Oh my, what a small investment for such a step up in the look of a room!

Looking forward to future pics!
    I find myself sitting in the living room and staring at this corner. It had an amazing effect on the room.

I'm seriously thinking of installing baseboard: it will be 6" mdf. I had not budgeted for it, but I want to work the numbers. Maybe it will work. I'm a little messed up because, emotionally, I haven't been paid since May. It doesn't matter what the numbers are, that's painful, and I won't be paid until September 20. I splurged on a fountain pen, so I will need to think hard before I buy any trim. The baseboard wasn't in my budget, and the trim already ran $20 over budget. But I'm really tempted.

Windows will be a different matter: they will require a lot more work, and I don't know if I'm up to it. But they need trim.

Thanks

Well done Waski the corner looks very good. you can always put the trim later when you have enough $ for the windows. Don't be scared of the windows, they are just square boxes after all. I learned to tile, lay floor and put double glazed windows in my outbuilding. the neighbours are now asking me, a woman, for advice.....hihi. anyway whatever you decide it will be nice. Thumbs up from the UK. Vera

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Pelikan-Vera View Post
    Well done Waski the corner looks very good. you can always put the trim later when you have enough $ for the windows. Don't be scared of the windows, they are just square boxes after all. I learned to tile, lay floor and put double glazed windows in my outbuilding. the neighbours are now asking me, a woman, for advice.....hihi. anyway whatever you decide it will be nice. Thumbs up from the UK. Vera
    I'm a little worried about the windows because they're new windows, and the previous owner did not have them professionally installed. I will be doing a lot of "creative" engineering to put trim on them.

Thanks

Lookin' good! I have no talent in that area.
    In my mug: Sailor 21 P-P M, Cross Solo M, Online Calligraphy, Monteverde Invincia F, Hero 359 M, Jinhao X450 M, Levenger T-W M, Jinhao 159 , Platinum Balance F, TWSBI Classic 1.1, Platinum Preppy 0.3 F, 7 Pilot Varsities, Speedball penholder, TWSBI 580 USA EF, Pilot MR, Ahab 1.1, another Preppy 0.3, Preppy EF 0.2, ASA Sniper F, Click Majestic F, Kaweco Sport M, Pilot Prera F, Baoer 79 M, Hero 616 M, Jinhao X750

31 and counting

DaveBj

Thanks

Waski, everything looks great so far!

Remember that when it is all up the total experience is what you see, unless you are the person who knows where all the nicks are. If you looked carefully at most houses built in the last 50-60 years you would fine all sorts of imperfections - you just are not generally looking for them.

The whole thing is getting more cheerful with every bit you do! And the color is great - I have that yellow or something like it myself.