Page 175 of 194 FirstFirst ... 75125165173174175176177185 ... LastLast
Results 3,481 to 3,500 of 3871

Thread: Did You Correspond Today?

Thanks

Default Re: Did You Correspond Today?

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Onogaro View Post
    ... "surcharge" of $.22 because they had to handle it--don't know if it was ... ...the writing on it.
    Do envelopes with extra text on it require extra postage, or did you mean it needed extra attention because the writing couldn't be read by the machine? I wonder because I've started breaking out old magazines to try to make envelopes out of any fun pictures I find (mostly old gaming magazines), and I need to know If I have to block out the articles or something.
    "Writing is its own reward" - Henry Miller

Get a letter from me

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Pharmasweaves View Post
    ... "surcharge" of $.22 because they had to handle it--don't know if it was ... ...the writing on it.
    Do envelopes with extra text on it require extra postage, or did you mean it needed extra attention because the writing couldn't be read by the machine? I wonder because I've started breaking out old magazines to try to make envelopes out of any fun pictures I find (mostly old gaming magazines), and I need to know If I have to block out the articles or something.
    Actually it is almost always too thick, too small or too square when there is a surcharge

As for addressing envelopes made from old pages.Get a pack of white write on labels from a office supply store and write the address in something that won't run on the label and you should be good
    Tom
    @silverbreeze
    ---
    Forgive any ignorance on my part.
    Any stupidity is my brain not being malleable enough to understand
    ===
    Open to anyone writing me. Will do my best to reply quickly
    ====
    Tomasz S Suchecki
    77 Meadowpark Ave North
    Stamford CT 06905-2221
    United States of America

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Silverbreeze View Post
    As for addressing envelopes made from old pages.Get a pack of white write on labels from a office supply store and write the address in something that won't run on the label and you should be good
    I do all my addressing with a Sharpie pen, just in case.

So far I've just been sticking to the cover pages (or thick advertisement pages, a la GQ). There were a couple old AC:Black Flag ads I really liked, so I used a full page label as a backing to thicken up the paper. I don't think I need enough envelopes yet to have to delve too deep into the pages. I'll just stay away from the pages with articles for now.

Get a letter from me

Thanks
    Thanked 1,579 Times in 943 Posts

I read Tom's post about this, and I think it was that the envelope was square. That's the only thing I can figure.
    Lady Onogaro

"Be yourself--everybody else is already taken." --Oscar Wilde

Thanks
    Thanked 1,579 Times in 943 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by VertOlive View Post
    I sent out two this morning. Hey, VertOlive, yours arrived with a "surcharge" of $.22 because they had to handle it--don't know if it was the size of the envelope or the writing on it. Crazy, huh?
    Ouch! Yet another reason to stay away from bargain bins at the craft store ! I owe you two bits...
    Not at all! I just thought it was funny considering what you said about the envelope being hard to write on.
    Lady Onogaro

"Be yourself--everybody else is already taken." --Oscar Wilde

Thanks

Actually it is almost always too thick, too small or too square when there is a surcharge

~~~The shape of the envelope can cost more. If it's perfectly square, it has to be hand-stamped and surcharged. Sometimes when you buy a card, it says "Requires Extra Postage" and that's what it means: the Post Office has to process it out of the stream. Ergo, "human interaction".

Thérèse

Sent from the iPhone of Madame X.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ThriveToScribe View Post

~~~The shape of the envelope can cost more. If it's perfectly square, it has to be hand-stamped and surcharged. Sometimes when you buy a card, it says "Requires Extra Postage" and that's what it means: the Post Office has to process it out of the stream. Ergo, "human interaction".

Thérèse
    If there is not enough contrast between background and address text you can also get the Special handling surcharge
    Tom
    @silverbreeze
    ---
    Forgive any ignorance on my part.
    Any stupidity is my brain not being malleable enough to understand
    ===
    Open to anyone writing me. Will do my best to reply quickly
    ====
    Tomasz S Suchecki
    77 Meadowpark Ave North
    Stamford CT 06905-2221
    United States of America

Thanks

Sent out my last bundle of letters today. Now we play the waiting game to see how many respond...

Spent a bit of yesterday trying to study and making envelopes in the downtime between...

Get a letter from me

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Pharmasweaves For This Useful Post:

VertOlive (April 11th, 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,807 Times in 1,648 Posts

Now that InCo is done, I still have 10 replies in the stack, but got a ten-pager out for tomorrow.
    "Nolo esse salus sine vobis ...” —St. Augustine

Thanks
    Thanked 1,764 Times in 808 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ThriveToScribe View Post

Thérèse
    If there is not enough contrast between background and address text you can also get the Special handling surcharge
    In the US is there a surcharge for the PO having to cutout a thin barcoded strip of paper and stick it on the envelope ?
    I've seen this on many hand made envelopes.
    sinistral hypergraphica - a slurry of ink
    "Nothing means less than zero"

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogon07 View Post
    In the US is there a surcharge for the PO having to cutout a thin barcoded strip of paper and stick it on the envelope ?
    I've seen this on many hand made envelopes.
    No. If they don't think the barcode will be readable on the envelope, they print it on a sticker and put that on the envelope. It happens often enough even on commercially made envelopes that a. I believe it is done by machine and b. there is no surcharge if they need to do that.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to mrcharlie For This Useful Post:

Bogon07 (April 13th, 2016)

Thanks

I think you just need to have an empty space 1/4 inch wide on the bottom of the envelope for the barcode. It's just for the sorting machines, and represents the 5+4 zipcode. I usually just stick a strip of a white label on the bottom just in case.

On a side note, I wrote my first letter that went over the 1 ounce mark (well, the scale said 0.9-1 ounce, but I wanted to be sure), which requires extra postage, if I remember right. Of course, I couldn't find my 2 and 3 cent stamps, so I had to waste a bit of money and use two 49 centers. I guess I know what my next order will include.

And of course there goes the mailman, early today. Comes any time between 10am and 2pm they do. Now I'm up to 4 letters waiting to be mailed out.
    Last edited by Pharmasweaves; April 13th, 2016 at 09:54 AM.

Get a letter from me

Thanks

Waited all day for a cable technician who never showed up, so I had time to get 7 out. I'm still way behind. About 30 left in the inCo pile, but I am making progress.

Thanks

I sent two out Saturday, one in, and two out today.

Thanks

Yes I did 3 went out today, but I think mail has been jacked up cause my dad sent my bday care 8 days ago priority mail and it got here today

Thanks

Rocked 4 yesterday and 3 today. Finally answering letters in the same month in which they arrived!

Thanks

Down to two in the reply stack.

Thanks

Reply stack is finished! Two in...

Thanks

Ten-pager (using a dip pen!) ready for the Monday post. And with a "Shirley Temple" postage stamp. I'd asked for "Tulips" and the old gent gave me "Temple" ...

Thanks

Been writing at random times, trying to keep up. Have the reply stack down to I think three or four now.

Crazy end of semester times with all the exams and studying and getting my science presentation together, sorry all...

Get a letter from me