Thread: Visconti Homo Sapiens question

Thanks

Default Visconti Homo Sapiens question

Does the large Visconti HS power filler have 2 ink reservoirs (like the TWSBI Vac 700), or just one?

Thanks.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,290 Times in 837 Posts

Default Re: Visconti Homo Sapiens question

The Lava edition LARGE or Maxi has a power filler that is NOT a double reservoir and that includes the Dark Ages version.

Steel version of the Lava is a piston filler.

The Crystal, Florentine Hills and London Fog have the double reservoir.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to earthdawn For This Useful Post:

Bogon07 (August 17th, 2016), Robert (August 13th, 2016), shiftysquirrel (January 13th, 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,290 Times in 837 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Alchemist View Post
    Does the large Visconti HS power filler have 2 ink reservoirs (like the TWSBI Vac 700), or just one?

Thanks.
    I did not know the TWSBI Vac 700 had 2... I pulled the o-ring out of mine so I could write without having to undo the piston knob.

Thanks

So did I!

Thanks

I just bought a brand new one on Ebay. I love this pen. I have had a some trouble with it on hard starting. When its first inked up it writes great for a week and no hard start problems. But after some time it has hard start and its driving me nuts. At 1st I thought it was low or out of ink and that was not the case. Not sure on the ink but I am using Pelikan 4001 Turquoise. I also tried to unscrew the back of the piston every time I was going to use it to see if that would work and still not that great. I pretty new to fountain pens but I have a Faber-Castell Loom and TWSBI Eco and both are solid writers with no problems. I was thinking baby's bottom but not sure. Does anyone have this issue with their Visconti HS?

Thanks

Try a wetter ink
    Pelikan is one of the driest

Also flush the pen you probably are getting paper/cotton micro fibers in the nib

Soft nibs like PD and Gold are more prone to that then steel in my experience

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Tom
    @silverbreeze
    ---
    Forgive any ignorance on my part.
    Any stupidity is my brain not being malleable enough to understand
    ===
    Open to anyone writing me. Will do my best to reply quickly
    ====
    Tomasz S Suchecki
    77 Meadowpark Ave North
    Stamford CT 06905-2221
    United States of America

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Silverbreeze For This Useful Post:

WmEdwards (September 14th, 2016), Woody (September 6th, 2016)

Thanks

From what you're saying I doubt it's exclusively a baby's bottom issue. If that was the case I think it should misfire almost every time, not after a week of use.
    I have had problems with the nib drying out on my Wallstreets (one regular C/C one limited with the double reservoir powerfiller) and the captured converter Divina Desert Springs. All 3 feeds are the same as my HS. This was also causing hard starts since the feed was not saturated enough. After taking out the nib unit and individually cleaning (and I mean obsessive cleaning) of both nib and feed, never had a problem. I pressure-washed the feed and ran a thin sheet of aluminium along the channels (ink & air) and interestingly enough I found some loose plastic shavings in the regular Wallstreet feed.

And yes, try with a wetter ink, but if the problem persists, maybe it's time for a proper cleaning. I realize it's a new pen but I've had the same issue with out-of-the-box pens.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Nakayama For This Useful Post:

shiftysquirrel (January 13th, 2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TheOpenHouseGuy View Post
    I just bought a brand new one on Ebay. I love this pen. I have had a some trouble with it on hard starting. When its first inked up it writes great for a week and no hard start problems. But after some time it has hard start and its driving me nuts. At 1st I thought it was low or out of ink and that was not the case. Not sure on the ink but I am using Pelikan 4001 Turquoise. I also tried to unscrew the back of the piston every time I was going to use it to see if that would work and still not that great. I pretty new to fountain pens but I have a Faber-Castell Loom and TWSBI Eco and both are solid writers with no problems. I was thinking baby's bottom but not sure. Does anyone have this issue with their Visconti HS?
    My new in box HS had the same issue with hard starts for a while. I think the problem is a lack of proper cleaning by Visconti when all the different parts are produced. I tried numerous inks thinking the pen was picky. After filling, testing, draining, and cleaning enough times the pen simply began to work properly. I've tried six different inks in this pen now and moments ago I uncapped it for the first time in five days and it wrote just fine. It is currently filled with the first ink I had tried and blamed for flow / performance issues.

I don't know if just washing with water for an extended period of time is truly enough to clean the pen. Perhaps soapy water helps. Perhaps something in the inks absorbs the residue and helps. Whatever the case give the pen some time to work itself in before you give up on it.

Thanks

Thank you everyone for all the info. How do you remove the nib, does is pull out or twist out? It seems all sealed up. I could run Pen Flush through it a bunch of times. On the ink being dry. I really don't have much ink to choose from at this time. I have been spending too much money on buy pens. lol. I just got into fountain pens like middle of June this year. I have Noodlers X feather, KWZ Iron Gall Turquoise, and Pelikan 4001. What should I try and ink this up with? Or should I go buy another ink?

Thanks

You can remove the nib unit by twisting it counter-clockwise but then it will be slightly more difficult to get the nib and feed out of their housing. I always leave the nib housing in the pen body before attempting to remove them. The nib and feed can be pulled out along the main axis of the pen.
    If you're unsure you can do this, you'd better leave it alone, as you can cause damage to the nib or the feed fins. And then you have to put it back together.

You should check out sbrebrown's video - linked here.
    Last edited by Nakayama; September 7th, 2016 at 12:56 PM.

Thanks

I've found it much easier to pull them out with a rubber grip to ensure fingers don't slide. There is quite a bit more friction on the Visconti nib and feed than I've encountered on any other pen I've used. Thus you can also expect a little higher effort and care required upon reassembly.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Scooby921 For This Useful Post:

Mags (September 10th, 2016)