Thread: Which Pelikan Pen first

Thanks

Default Which Pelikan Pen first

Over the years I have mainly collected vintage Esterbrooks and some Sheaffer, Waterman pens. Now I want to take my collection a new direction.

I want to add several moderately priced modern pens. Pelikan looks like a good starting point but which model to start with?

InCoWri 2018, Letter Writers Alliance Member, Postable link: www.postable.com/bradharris, postcrossing

Thanks

Default Re: Which Pelikan Pen first

I would start with the M800, which I consider to be the best of the Pelikan models. You should be able to pick up a nice used one for not-too-much coin.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Robert For This Useful Post:

southpaw52 (August 17th, 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,835 Times in 1,165 Posts

If you like the size and weight of Esterbrooks, and since you specified moderately priced, an M200 might suit. Or an M205 if you prefer silver trim.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to catbert For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,872 Times in 811 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by catbert View Post
    If you like the size and weight of Esterbrooks, and since you specified moderately priced, an M200 might suit. Or an M205 if you prefer silver trim.
    I fully agree with this recommendation. Not only is a M200/205 similar in size and weight to an Esterbrook, it also has a springy steel nib that is IMO better than today's gold nibs.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to carlos.q For This Useful Post:

inklord (September 24th, 2016), southpaw52 (August 17th, 2016)

Thanks

If your hand is large and you like pens with wider grip section then go to M800 straight forward. If you like smaller pens and like the grip of say sheaffer Snorkel Admiral, which is thin grip, go with the M200/205, if you like a bit more heft in pens buy 215. For me m205 is way to light...

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Denizzz For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Robert View Post
    I would start with the M800, which I consider to be the best of the Pelikan models. You should be able to pick up a nice used one for not-too-much coin.
    Starting near the top might be good advice as in buy the best you can afford, but most people aren't likely to start that close to the top. With pens as light as Esterbrook in his past, the OP might start with an M200 or M205 rather than the larger and heavier M800 (brass piston works).

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pajaro For This Useful Post:

inklord (September 24th, 2016), top pen (August 17th, 2016)

Thanks

I have 200/400's that are some of the best writing pens I have used (and I have gone through a lot of pens). However, even with my small hands, I find them TINY, I think more due to the diameter. I would suggest finding a brick and mortar and handling an M600, which will give you instant "bigger, smaller, or just right" feedback. Orrrrrrr, you can look for a vintage 400nn tortoise shell......

Thanks

Hello southpaw! No offense to fans of modern Pelis, but...if you are into 'vintage' and 'collecting', I'd stay away from anything newer than 1990 - the new models are vastly overpriced, have so-so nibs at best (a possible exception may be the M2xx series) and anything above the M400 is without historical precedence and simply a contribution to the boutique status of modern upscale fountain pens (i.e. competing with MB etc.). The most redeeming quality of a modern M400/600 is that they accept vintage pelikan nibs. I'd recommend a solid 140, 400 or 400NN for starters (they increase in size in that order); they are available with a plethora of nibs with characteristics ranging from semi-flex all the way to stiff (for notes/book keeping etc.). Good info on historical Pelikans can be found here: https://www.pelikan-collectibles.de/...kan/index.html (the site can be translated/switched into English)
    Have fun!

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to inklord For This Useful Post:

gbryal (September 24th, 2016), jacksterp (September 25th, 2016)

Thanks

Given what pens you have had, I would say M2xx/M4xx size pens. The latter is finished nicer and has a 14k nib. I have only owned/used M200 & M205's. The 120 and 140's are nice pens too.

I haven't tried it but the M600 is slightly larger.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk
    Brad "Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling

"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

Thanks

First consideration should always be your budget, then pick the pen that fits your hand the best. I have large hands so anything smaller than an M8xx doesn't work well for me. Gently used Pelikans are regularly available online and offer decent savings if you want a bigger pen but don't want to spend for something new.