Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hello from Cambridge

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Tarquin Danglebury View Post
    I agree that this is fairly compelling evidence, although I'm not sure about the oddly narrative methodology. I hereby tentatively accept the existence of France. However, I am still not sure about the existence of Paris.
    My Dear Professor,

May I call to your attention the words of your old friend, Mr. Humphrey Bogart? Paris.jpg "We'll always have Parrots. Er, Paris. We'll always have Paris! "

You and Bogie disagreed on many things--surely you remember 'The Great Waterman Embroilment' at the Beverly Hills Hotel? The ink stains from the duel are still on the walls. -- but I hope all that can be put aside now.

Collegially yours,
    Professor S. Hawking

(From C-- NB: I'm just passing this along as requested)

Junior Member Prof. Tarquin Danglebury's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Carole View Post
    You and Bogie disagreed on many things--surely you remember 'The Great Waterman Embroilment' at the Beverly Hills Hotel? The ink stains from the duel are still on the walls. -- but I hope all that can be put aside now.
    Ah yes, I do remember. That was the last time he said a rollerball is as good as a fountain pen, though.
    Prof.dr. Tarquin Danglebury, Ph.D., Sci.D., FRSP, Chair of Penology at Cambridge University.

Thanks

I'm late to this thread, but my sentiment is no less sincere. Welcome to you and your pet lobster!

Thanks

Dear Prof. Danglebury...

I dispute your qualifications as an expert on pens and nibbage as, by your own definition (detailed in your signature) you state you are "Chair of Penology at Cambridge University" ... Penology is the branch of science concerned with the punishment of crime - it is totally unrelated to pens, apart perhaps from those type of pens that are used to hold criminals.

You sir... are a fraud!

Thanks

So. Apparently my demonstration eez inadmissible beecuz I'm French and Eric says zat doesn't count (see FPtv #59). Help me out here people!
    Otherwise, as a last resort, I might just fly over to Cambridge and chop some heads off like it's 1789. Ha!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Liv View Post
    Help me out here people!
    ... chop some heads off like it's 1789. Ha!
    LOL! 1789 was a pretty good year!

Mi dispiace, Liv, I tried with 'Casablanca'. ( I mean, they sing La Marseillaise and everything. ) I'm not sure if that qualified either, though.
    We'll have to hope for more reinforcements. Aux stylos, citoyens!

Thanks

Sorry Liv, I was going to offer to scan the immigration stamp that is in my passport (from 89) but it's so faint you can barely make it out. 1989 not 1789, that is...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ArtJourney View Post
    I dispute your qualifications as an expert on pens and nibbage as, by your own definition (detailed in your signature) you state you are "Chair of Penology at Cambridge University" ... Penology is the branch of science concerned with the punishment of crime - it is totally unrelated to pens, apart perhaps from those type of pens that are used to hold criminals.

You sir... are a fraud!
    You have made excellent use of logic!

Unfortunately, you are wrong. You see, your confusion is natural: the science of poenology (from latin poena, i.e., punishment) does concern itself with the punishment of crime. I have often told my colleagues to use the proper spelling when naming their science (or attempt at science, anyway). Obviously, they do not listen to me, and have now contaminated the name of my science (a proper scientific discipline, I might add). So, let me settle this issue here, once and for all:

Penology: the scientific study of fountain pens, ink, and related writing paraphernalia.
    Poenology: the "scientific" study of crime and related punishments.

You see?
    Prof.dr. Tarquin Danglebury, Ph.D., Sci.D., FRSP, Chair of Penology at Cambridge University.

Thanks

Greetings and welcome to the forum. Great posting too.

FP_GaF

I am sorry to say that both the Professor and Eric are correct in disputing the existence of French fries as a prove for the existence of France, most importantly because French fries do actually originate from Belgium.

On the other hand, if France does not exist where did I spend the three years of my life when they gave me a job in Paris which allegedly is the capital of a country by the name of France???
    Last edited by FP_GaF; February 15th, 2013 at 11:01 PM.

FP_GaF

You have made excellent use of logic!

Unfortunately, you are wrong. You see, your confusion is natural: the science of poenology (from latin poena, i.e., punishment) does concern itself with the punishment of crime. I have often told my colleagues to use the proper spelling when naming their science (or attempt at science, anyway). Obviously, they do not listen to me, and have now contaminated the name of my science (a proper scientific discipline, I might add). So, let me settle this issue here, once and for all:

Penology: the scientific study of fountain pens, ink, and related writing paraphernalia.
    Poenology: the "scientific" study of crime and related punishments.

You see?
    hear hear!

Thanks

Wow...I wouldn't have expected to see Prof. Danglebury here. I'm also surprised that he's got a bit of a dark streak. He's always seemed nice enough at YouTube...maybe a little odd around the edges, but nice enough, otherwise. And--maybe it's because I've been killing time at Twitter as my alter-ego, @TheRoXFiles, but gee...he's more like @SeverusSSnape than I would've thought. Huh. O.o

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FP_GaF View Post
    On the other hand, if France does not exist where did I spend the three years of my life when they gave me a job in Paris which allegedly is the capital of a country by the name of France???
    Abducted by aliens and it was some sort of virtual world you were living in while they collected all sorts of data from you?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,297 Times in 543 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by FP_GaF View Post
    I am sorry to say that both the Professor and Eric are correct in disputing the existence of French fries as a prove for the existence of France, most importantly because French fries do actually originate from Belgium.

:
    Just because Belgium doesn't think its France doesn't make it so.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,081 Times in 555 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by writingrav View Post
    Just because Belgium doesn't think its France doesn't make it so.
    HA!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TheRoXFiles View Post
    Wow...I wouldn't have expected to see Prof. Danglebury here. I'm also surprised that he's got a bit of a dark streak.
    I do have a dark streak! You see, one day I grabbed a small log and pulled it out of my office fireplace with a pair of tongs, because it didn't really burn properly and Lord Windermere felt unnaturally cold. Unfortunately, it hit the Persian carpet and left an annoying charred streak, which my staff has been unable to clean. Question is: how do you know about this? I don't recall you having studied with me!

Thanks

I do have a dark streak! You see, one day I grabbed a small log and pulled it out of my office fireplace with a pair of tongs, because it didn't really burn properly and Lord Windermere felt unnaturally cold. Unfortunately, it hit the Persian carpet and left an annoying charred streak, which my staff has been unable to clean. Question is: how do you know about this? I don't recall you having studied with me!
    *mysterious little smile*

So that dark streak's been there all this time? And on *that* Persian carpet, too. That's a real shame. You know, if you want to get rid of that dark streak, all you need is a bit of Mrs. Skower's All-Purpose Mess Remover. It cleans anything like magic. I'll have to see if I can pull some strings and send you some. It's just, uh...well, you're not allergic to owls, are you? Thing is, the cheapest shipping option for me is via owl. UPS and FedEx gets pretty darn expensive out here, in the part of Scotland where I'm currently working.
    Last edited by TheRoXFiles; February 19th, 2013 at 06:37 PM.

Thanks

Welcome! You will find the folks here at the FP Geeks really a great place to be, and if you need any nib work, I would love to hear from you!

Greg Minuskin
    www.gregminuskin.com
    greg@gregminuskin.com

Thanks
    Thanked 1,254 Times in 562 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Liv View Post
    www.jstor.org/stable/399766
    Here is a scientific paper from a scientific review that focuses on France. The article both confirms the existence of France and, as a bonus, proves its superiority over the United States of America when it comes to fountain pens, firstly by stating that Americans don't use fountain pens as much, secondly by putting forward absurdities such as "roller ball pens that write as smoothly as many fountain pens".

Quod erat demonstrandum
    Pish Posh! People can write any lies they like. That which is written is only proof of writing.

Thanks

...y'know, Prof. Danglebury never got back to me re: should I owl him some Mrs. Skower's All-Purpose Magical Mess Remover? And gee...I wouldn't have had to go through all the mysteriousness in my last post if he just told me he wasn't a Muggle after all. :P
    Hey, I just met you, and this is crazy...but here's my letter. So write me, maybe?

If you're an InCo pen pal, please PM me first if you'd like to write to me. Thanks!