Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Hello from Cambridge

Thanks

Default Re: Hello from Cambridge

My goodness, I'm almost terrified to respond to such eminence and eccentricity! The deerstalker cap seems little protection against the weather, unless you're only wanting to protect your head...ahem, well maybe that gigantic brain needs to be kept from risk, especially in that lovely English weather.
    I wonder if France denies the existence of Prof. Tarquin Danglebury? In any case, it's nice to meet you. Frightfully nice.

A Newbie, too, but with astonishingly less credentials.

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Tarquin Danglebury View Post
    Ah, there you are!

I seem to have found the Fountain Pen Geeks forum. I thought it might be nice to introduce myself, so I hereby reprint, without permission (which, incidentally, is just too bad), an extract from the Annual Proceedings of the Serious Nibbage Society, volume 184, pages 19-134: Who is who in the world of fountain pens?

Professor Tarquin Danglebury, born within living memory in the small village of West-Nibshire in England, is full Professor and Chair of Penology at Cambridge University. According to legend, he obtained his first fountain pen on the day he was born, when he grabbed it from the shirt pocket of a gynaecologist. This pen was later identified to be a Parker 51.

After studying at Eton, at which he was well-known for winning ink-sac-squeezing contests, professor Danglebury pursued a successful academic career at Cambridge University. He defended a dissertation, advised by the eminent professor Herbert-Anton von Nibbius bis zum Blindekappe, cum laude, upon which he was immediately offered tenure in Cambridge. He holds no less than seven honourary doctorates, from the Universities of Tilburg (NL), Köln (DE), Madrid (ES), London (both UCL and LU, UK), Los Angeles (USA) and Washington, DC (USA).

Professor Danglebury has published more than 7,000 papers, books, and book chapters, and is a well-known expert on everything, but he specializes in fountain pens, ink, and related writing paraphernalia. He is well-respected by his students (mainly because he expells every student who doubts his judgement) and colleagues alike (because he fires those that disagree), and he is often referred to as a walking pencyclopedia.

In 1978, when professor Herbert-Anton von Nibbius bis zum Blindekappe was cremated and his ashes were stored in an empty bottle of Parker Penman Emerald, professor Danglebury took over the position of Chair of the Department of Penology at Cambridge University. He performs his scholarly activities from a small room in the western-most towerette of the university building in Cambridge, surrounded by books, fountain pens, and desillusioned students. Every day at noon, he takes his pet lobster, Lord Windermere, for a short walk across the University grounds, be it sunny or rainy - the professor doesn't mind the weather, due to his incessant wearing of a deerstalker cap.

Strong-willed and strong-minded, professor Danglebury has little patience and a pronounced opinion, that has led him to participate in heated international debates and disputes on the use of fountain pens, that often end with his opponents tearing off their own heads in despair.

Professor Tarquin Danglebury denies the existence of France.

Barbara

Welcome Professor! A dark streak and a rebel, reprinting without permission "(which, incidentally, is just too bad), an extract from the Annual Proceedings of the Serious Nibbage Society".

Thanks

Press release from Cambridge University press April 1st 2013:
    Today in a freak accident Lord Windemere has been stabbed by Prof. Tarquin Dangleberry with his new Visconti Typhoon. Prof. Tarquin Dangleberry was initially imprisoned for causing serious bodily harm to Lord Windemere but has been released on bail. Lord Windemere is currently undergoing emergency surgery to remove the Salix ink from his left eye. The attending physician has released a press statement that Lord Windemere is expected to recover fully.

Thanks

Hmm...the RP'er in me would take offense at the godmoding powerplaying in that last post.... :S

Prof. Danglebury never did get back to me re: dark streak remover. Then again, I don't think @HippieAlbus would want him back, given what happened the last time he showed up. x_x
    Last edited by TheRoXFiles; April 1st, 2013 at 02:05 PM.
    Hey, I just met you, and this is crazy...but here's my letter. So write me, maybe?

If you're an InCo pen pal, please PM me first if you'd like to write to me. Thanks!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,570 Times in 669 Posts

Prof Danglebury should see a death penalty for using a VISCONTI for anything other than eloquent prose! Disgraceful.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Thanks
    Thanked 1,254 Times in 562 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy Lee View Post
    Prof Danglebury should see a death penalty for using a VISCONTI for anything other than eloquent prose! Disgraceful.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
    Death Penalty? That is a bit harsh, especially as the offence was committed in Britain, where murder only gets 4 years with good behaviour. I would have thought 200 hours of community service teaching chavs to write properly would have been quite sufficient.

Thanks

Interview with Lord Windemere by Cambridge Evening news:
    Lord Windemere can you tell us how you are?
    Yes yes you see I will be fine and the doctors are confident no permanent damage has been done.
    Lord Windemere can you provide us with an update at what happened yesterday?
    Yes, you see the good professor was playing with his new Visconti Typhoon and tried to remove thee last droplet of Salix ink from the antique inkwell that Eriquito gifted to him on his birthday. The Visconti Typhoon backfired and a whole load of ink ended up in me left eye. It was a hell of a mess.
    Lord Windemere do you intend to file charges against Prof. Tarquin Dangleberry for causing grievous bodily harm?
    Don't be silly my dear fellow of course not. It was all a freak accident and no intention involved. I am quite upset about the talk about the death penalty being imposed for this misdemeanour. I’ll suggest that you go to see Prof. Tarquin Dangleberry and ask his opinion.

Thanks

Hmmmm....

I have to say, the powerplaying going on here is bothering me. Stuff like the last post is what gets people kicked out of roleplaying games--because nobody likes it when other people come along, hijack other people's characters and start writing as them, which is what powerplaying is. It's rude and disrespectful to the actual owner of the character(s) they play.

I realize Prof. Danglebury's alter-ego is a nice guy and all, but he never gave anyone else here permission to write as him or Lord Winderemere. These two characters belong to him, not us--and clearly, both characters are very special to him, given all the times he's shown up on YouTube as well as here. Not a single one of us are entitled to take his characters from him and start writing as either of them without permission. Just because he hasn't spoken up here, it doesn't automatically mean he approves of it. Either he's busy or he just plain doesn't know--but in either case, it doesn't mean he's okay with this, either.
    Hey, I just met you, and this is crazy...but here's my letter. So write me, maybe?

If you're an InCo pen pal, please PM me first if you'd like to write to me. Thanks!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TheRoXFiles View Post
    Hmmmm....

I have to say, the powerplaying going on here is bothering me. Stuff like the last post is what gets people kicked out of roleplaying games--because nobody likes it when other people come along, hijack other people's characters and start writing as them, which is what powerplaying is. It's rude and disrespectful to the actual owner of the character(s) they play.

I realize Prof. Danglebury's alter-ego is a nice guy and all, but he never gave anyone else here permission to write as him or Lord Winderemere. These two characters belong to him, not us--and clearly, both characters are very special to him, given all the times he's shown up on YouTube as well as here. Not a single one of us are entitled to take his characters from him and start writing as either of them without permission. Just because he hasn't spoken up here, it doesn't automatically mean he approves of it. Either he's busy or he just plain doesn't know--but in either case, it doesn't mean he's okay with this, either.
    Oh it is not meant like that....just a little April fools joke! Sorry to have trodden on somebodies toes.....

Thanks

Welcome! The guys here are real fun, and I hope I can assist you sometime soon with any nib retip or nib repair! I am at your service!

Greg Minuskin
    www.gregminuskin.com
    greg@gregminuskin.com

Thanks
    Thanked 1,764 Times in 808 Posts

Mr Minuskin your avatar looks like he is relaxing after scoffing a big bowl of Lord Windemere Seafood Bisque !
    sinistral hypergraphica - a slurry of ink
    "Nothing means less than zero"

Thanks

Most High Professor, a friend of mine, Sheridan Bucket, once had a flatmate at Eton named Tarquin. Might you be he?

Also, in regards to the gentleman you had cremated, I trust you had the decency to wait until he had passed.

Michael, from the fountain pen wilderness of Kentucky.
    Last edited by Ravenlunatic; April 4th, 2013 at 07:03 PM.