Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: So what's the deal with all the SALES threads?!?

Somewhere in the hills of eastern Washington
    Thanks

Default Re: So what's the deal with all the SALES threads?!?

Quote Originally Posted by Woody View Post
    Well - I look at it this way. If people come here to sell their pens - at the VERY LEAST they are coming to FPG. If they want to contribute to the community even better. It's all about visits (hits) to the website -- and if something interest those people selling - that's a bonus for FPG.
    I am of the same opinion. I also think that threads like this will help people realize that there is more to FPG than selling pens. I left FPN early last year after the Dr. Dean/FPN spat. Though I have not posted here much, this thread has renewed my interest.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to dfo For This Useful Post:

Jon Szanto (September 28th, 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,826 Times in 1,161 Posts

The Pen Addict podcast could be having an effect on traffic to the classifieds. About half an hour into the latest episode there's some discussion about where to sell pens. Brad Dowdy's first choice was FPG classifieds. He called us 'the most reasonable group of people on a selling channel'. Not the first time FPG has been recommended.

Another quote: 'So, if you're looking to sell a pen and never done it before, go to FP Geeks and browse around. See how other people are doing it, see what the community's like.'

(No affiliation - just a podcast listener and sometime purchaser of Nock products.)
    Last edited by catbert; September 28th, 2016 at 11:12 PM. Reason: added disclaimer

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to catbert For This Useful Post:

earthdawn (September 28th, 2016), ethernautrix (October 3rd, 2016), Woody (September 30th, 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,290 Times in 837 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by catbert View Post
    The Pen Addict podcast could be having an effect on traffic to the classifieds. About half an hour into the latest episode there's some discussion about where to sell pens. Brad Dowdy's first choice was FPG classifieds. He called us 'the most reasonable group of people on a selling channel'. Not the first time FPG has been recommended.

Another quote: 'So, if you're looking to sell a pen and never done it before, go to FP Geeks and browse around. See how other people are doing it, see what the community's like.'

(No affiliation - just a podcast listener and sometime purchaser of Nock products.)
    That is a very very good point. Brads reach is with the podcast is quite large.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,075 Times in 4,023 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by earthdawn View Post
    That is a very very good point. Brads reach with the podcast is quite large.
    It would be interesting to know if he has a business relationship with the owner. These days, it seems as there are very few blogs that aren't sponsored or financially propped up in some way by vendors or retailers in this hobby/industry. I'm finding it harder to differentiate between people who have a love of this arena and people who are in it for financial reasons, and/or some muddy middle-ground betwixt the two.

A topic for another thread, I suppose, but since it went in that direction...

(I, too, am a proud user of one of Mr. Dowdy's products. As if such a disclaimer were necessary...)
    Last edited by Jon Szanto; September 29th, 2016 at 02:11 AM.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

sharmon202 (October 1st, 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,492 Times in 1,750 Posts

I have a blog. You will not see a single ad on it.

You probably also won't see a single reader.
    My other pen is a Montblanc.

And my other blog is a tumblr!

And my latest ebook, for spooky wintery reading:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0CM2NGSSD

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Sailor Kenshin For This Useful Post:

VertOlive (October 17th, 2016)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sailor Kenshin View Post
    And I believe you pre-date this trend, as what I've noticed is approximately 3 or so years old.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post
    And I believe you pre-date this trend, as what I've noticed is approximately 3 or so years old.

I am confused...but that's nothing new.

Thanks

That is a very very good point. Brads reach with the podcast is quite large.
    It would be interesting to know if he has a business relationship with the owner. These days, it seems as there are very few blogs that aren't sponsored or financially propped up in some way by vendors or retailers in this hobby/industry. I'm finding it harder to differentiate between people who have a love of this arena and people who are in it for financial reasons, and/or some muddy middle-ground betwixt the two.

A topic for another thread, I suppose, but since it went in that direction...

(I, too, am a proud user of one of Mr. Dowdy's products. As if such a disclaimer were necessary...)

No Jon... Brad does not have a business relationship with Eric. They have met once I think.

When things are "nice" and people "enjoy" a place in this community they openly share it.

Eric has no need nor interest in $ from the site. He pays the bill and moderates when and where he can.

I tell people and invite people on a consistent basis. Especially when I am at the shows.

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to earthdawn For This Useful Post:

Beowulf50 (September 30th, 2016), ethernautrix (October 3rd, 2016), Jon Szanto (September 29th, 2016)

Thanks

No Jon... Brad does not have a business relationship with Eric. They have met once I think.
    Okey-doke. Just wondering aloud.. And I just got back from the gym, having listened to this specific podcast while I was trying to convince my body it was younger and stronger than it actually is, so I'm up to speed, specifically, on Brad's discussion of the forum (as well as Myke's hesitancy to have anything to do with selling pens.

When things are "nice" and people "enjoy" a place in this community they openly share it. Eric has no need nor interest in $ from the site. He pays the bill and moderates when and where he can.
    I tell people and invite people on a consistent basis. Especially when I am at the shows.
    Please, try not to read things into my post, or make implications, that aren't there. I've been remarking on this place for many years in a positive vein, and anyone who knows my history here knows I am a strong FPG supporter. There is a difference between casual mention, and those who seek to have wider influence, are interconnected with suppliers, retailers, and manufacturers, as well as those who simply want to be personalities in a new arena (a friend coined the term penselebrity. There is nothing wrong with that, but if you've been in this "community" for a number of years, the changes taking place are not just worth noting, but worthy of discussion. Well, IMHO. YMMV.

Oh, look, a new pen all inked up and letters to write! Seeya...

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks

Sailor, I just meant that you've had your blog up for quite a while, and you aren't one of the newer generation that has sponsors, and ads, and podcasts, and a video channel, etc. You have a true, basic enthusiasts site, and that is a good thing.

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks

Sailor, I just meant that you've had your blog up for quite a while, and you aren't one of the newer generation that has sponsors, and ads, and podcasts, and a video channel, etc. You have a true, basic enthusiasts site, and that is a good thing.

Yay! I haz a happyz.

Thanks

Okey-doke. Just wondering aloud.. And I just got back from the gym, having listened to this specific podcast while I was trying to convince my body it was younger and stronger than it actually is, so I'm up to speed, specifically, on Brad's discussion of the forum (as well as Myke's hesitancy to have anything to do with selling pens.

When things are "nice" and people "enjoy" a place in this community they openly share it. Eric has no need nor interest in $ from the site. He pays the bill and moderates when and where he can.
    Please, try not to read things into my post, or make implications, that aren't there. I've been remarking on this place for many years in a positive vein, and anyone who knows my history here knows I am a strong FPG supporter. There is a difference between casual mention, and those who seek to have wider influence, are interconnected with suppliers, retailers, and manufacturers, as well as those who simply want to be personalities in a new arena (a friend coined the term penselebrity. There is nothing wrong with that, but if you've been in this "community" for a number of years, the changes taking place are not just worth noting, but worthy of discussion. Well, IMHO. YMMV.

Oh, look, a new pen all inked up and letters to write! Seeya...
    No problem Jon.... You mentioned it as a question and I knew the answer so I interjected. Nothing more nothing less and had nothing to do with you or looking deeper into it.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to earthdawn For This Useful Post:

Jon Szanto (September 29th, 2016)

Thanks

No problem Jon...

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks

The Podcast has created traffic - and FPN is still in the midst of rolling out their new Classified structure. I have no idea what that is going to look like - but I'm optimistic that it will be fair. At the moment the Classifieds are weighted more to serious and comprehensive sellers who have purchased the Top Tier in the selling program. So we'll see. Glad our classifieds are doing well. I have much interest in them.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,529 Times in 1,299 Posts

I am on the verge of getting off the fence and selling my one and only (and ever) Franklin Christoph 66 (model 66, antique glass, Masuyama medium italic). Having read this thread though it looks as though I should hawk somewhere other than here?

Most of the pens that I have been unfortunate to have stepped into the path of have either gone on eBay (a handful, usually at massive losses) or been given away. I've talked about my difficulties at tedious length elsewhere and at various times. Now I find I am resolved. I've got nothing noteworthy left apart from a Pilot 823, a vintage Aurora 88P, and a cobbled together Waterman 52. The rest is just... well, not worth keeping. Once they're gone, so am I. From FPN too. Time to engage in more productive areas of life. I would like to say that being part of these forums has been a positive experience, but that wouldn't be true. There are a few genuinely nice people here and there, only a few though. I'm sure most, if you gave it any thought, would think the same of me. Too bad.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Empty_of_Clouds View Post
    I am on the verge of getting off the fence and selling my one and only (and ever) Franklin Christoph 66 (model 66, antique glass, Masuyama medium italic). Having read this thread though it looks as though I should hawk somewhere other than here?
    No, that wasn't my intent at all. I'm certain you can realize that. My point was there had been a large influx of people to the forum, coming here only to sell pens, and not taking part in the forum in any other way. Treating it like a meat market.

You, on the other hand, have been here a long time, know many people, and many people know you. You've helped to build the fabric and content of the community, and you have every right to utilize the Sales Forum as you see fit.

I'm sorry that you are feeling a need to leave, but people tend to come and go, myself included. My hope is that it will end up, if anything, as an extended break. And please hold onto at least some pens that you enjoy, because that pleasure should never be given up: your thoughts, flowing through ink and nib, onto paper.

~ Benjamin Franklin

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

sharmon202 (October 15th, 2016)

Thanks

Hello Jon.

Your sentiments, while well meaning, are likely way off the mark. I sincerely doubt that I'm held in anything other than barely concealed (often even not concealed) contempt by most who have interacted with me here - and perhaps with good cause.

For the rest, it's a pragmatic thing. You guys have it easy over there; revel in it. Here... the word futility applies. On the plus side I live in one of the most beautiful and peaceful countries on Earth. So there is that.

The forum... well, I could count those who have been a joy to get know on the fingers of one hand.

No, I know when I'm beaten.

Thanks

I've done what I can, with open heart. You already know how to be in touch with me outside of the forum. I bid you peace.

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks

'Preciate it. So long, Jon.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,731 Times in 1,976 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Empty_of_Clouds View Post
    Hello Jon.

Your sentiments, while well meaning, are likely way off the mark. I sincerely doubt that I'm held in anything other than barely concealed (often even not concealed) contempt by most who have interacted with me here - and perhaps with good cause.

For the rest, it's a pragmatic thing. You guys have it easy over there; revel in it. Here... the word futility applies. On the plus side I live in one of the most beautiful and peaceful countries on Earth. So there is that.

The forum... well, I could count those who have been a joy to get know on the fingers of one hand.

No, I know when I'm beaten.
    EoC, I for one think it would be a loss not to have you here chiming in and posting.
    But I also realize as Jon said, people come and go.

In the last few weeks, I've had young professionals from Australia buying pens from me, so I think there is a lot of interest on fountain pens over on your part of the globe. You also have Robert Osters making inks that people here in the US clamor upon.

What I'm trying to say is, there is always things that is looking up, it depends on which perspective we're putting on at any given moment.
    So I hope that one day you'll be back here again.
    - Will
    Unique and restored vintage pens: Redeem Pens

28. The Following User Says Thank You to penwash For This Useful Post:

carlc (October 14th, 2016)