Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: So what's the deal with all the SALES threads?!?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,008 Times in 819 Posts

Default Re: So what's the deal with all the SALES threads?!?

Empty of clouds I am sorry to hear that you are moving on I think you have made a valid contribution although being honest I never did get the third person stuff but I respected your right to be an individual.😄
    I am sure there are many here myself included who cannot afford to buy the latest pens the only new pen I have bought in the last few years was a Lamy for my daughters birthday. However your writing is good and so is your photography and as you say you live in such a beautiful place you could take a break from searching for pens and wow us with pictures.

I don't normally post on this type of thread but we need people of character and no I am not going to write a list.
    What ever you do I wish you well.

Michael
    Last edited by MY63; October 14th, 2016 at 12:56 PM.

Thanks

My racing instructor used to tell me to always look toward where I wanted to go, even when the car was out of control. Most people will look toward where they don't want to go, and end up hitting the tree they were hoping to avoid.

To him (or her) who has ears, let him hear...

3. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to lsmith42 For This Useful Post:

carlc (October 17th, 2016), catbert (October 17th, 2016), ethernautrix (October 17th, 2016), Frank (October 19th, 2016), penwash (October 17th, 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,113 Times in 573 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by lsmith42 View Post
    My racing instructor used to tell me to always look toward where I wanted to go, even when the car was out of control. Most people will look toward where they don't want to go, and end up hitting the tree they were hoping to avoid.

To him (or her) who has ears, let him hear...
    I keep looking at the Sonny stuff here and hope it will end up in your garage.

I have ink for you...

Thanks
    Thanked 1,578 Times in 943 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sailor Kenshin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post
    I am confused...but that's nothing new.
    Sailor, I just meant that you've had your blog up for quite a while, and you aren't one of the newer generation that has sponsors, and ads, and podcasts, and a video channel, etc. You have a true, basic enthusiasts site, and that is a good thing.

Yay! I haz a happyz.
    I love your ink comparison scans. They are so sharp (in terms of pictures). Thank you for them.
    Lady Onogaro

"Be yourself--everybody else is already taken." --Oscar Wilde

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Lady Onogaro For This Useful Post:

Sailor Kenshin (October 18th, 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,427 Times in 1,716 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Onogaro View Post
    I am confused...but that's nothing new.
    Sailor, I just meant that you've had your blog up for quite a while, and you aren't one of the newer generation that has sponsors, and ads, and podcasts, and a video channel, etc. You have a true, basic enthusiasts site, and that is a good thing.

Yay! I haz a happyz.
    I love your ink comparison scans. They are so sharp (in terms of pictures). Thank you for them.

And thanks to YOU...I checked my blog today, discovered that the latest ink blob picture had mysteriously vanished. It's back now. Keeping a jaundiced eye on it.

New inks came in. More blobs forthcoming.
    My other pen is a Montblanc.

And my other blog is a tumblr!

And my latest ebook, for spooky wintery reading:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0CM2NGSSD

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Sailor Kenshin For This Useful Post:

VertOlive (October 18th, 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,804 Times in 1,697 Posts

What I do not like is to see all this "Sale" and "Want to Buy or Trade" posts in the "New Posts" page.
    They block my sight to the "real" content posts.

My suggestion would be to remove those sub forums from the "New Posts".

Imho all these guys which never contributed to FPG and just registered to sell their stuff do no not enrich this community.

Beside that I would not buy anything from a unknown new member, even more if they demand direct payment without PayPal (as I saw several times), which removes any buyer protection.

I think the opposite is true, if somebody made a bad experience buying a pen from FPG it will harm the community.

So I would support enabling a entry limit for sales on the site, like at least 6 months membership and more than 50 posts.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Pterodactylus For This Useful Post:

CaptainRon (November 21st, 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,042 Times in 4,011 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Pterodactylus View Post
    What I do not like is to see all this "Sale" and "Want to Buy or Trade" posts in the "New Posts" page.
    They block my sight to the "real" content posts.

My suggestion would be to remove those sub forums from the "New Posts".
    Well, the problem is that the owner/admin of the site has - seemingly - completely stopped paying attention whatsoever. Nothing will change, certainly not by people asking for it.

The easiest solution I've found, since the link I keep to this site is a shortcut to the "What's New" listing, is the following:

• When the site comes up, look for the first sale item
    • In the far right column, click on the "For Sale" link, which brings up the "For Sale" sub-forum
    • When there, look to the right for "Forum Tools", click on "Mark This Forum Read"
    • Then click on "What's New" and all the sales items will be gone.

It's a few extra clicks and a few seconds of time, but it makes it easier for me to see the threads I am wanting to read. If I ever feel a need to browse sales, I just go to that sub-forum.

HTH,
    Jon
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

12. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (November 21st, 2016), datainadequate (November 21st, 2016), ethernautrix (November 25th, 2016), FredRydr (November 27th, 2016), grainweevil (November 22nd, 2016), KrazyIvan (December 11th, 2016), Marsilius (November 21st, 2016), Pterodactylus (November 21st, 2016), VegHead (November 23rd, 2016)

Thanks

I've been lurking this forum for about a year now, but only recently signed up. I am thinking of selling some of my pens from my collection. Would it be OK for me to post an ad in the classifieds, even if I don't have many posts yet? From what I see, some of you are against new(ish) members to post in classified. Thanks for feedback.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,189 Times in 1,419 Posts

sure, why not?

I am not aware of any rules to the contrary

welcome, and good luck!

Thanks
    Thanked 3,712 Times in 1,610 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by adhoc View Post
    I've been lurking this forum for about a year now, but only recently signed up. I am thinking of selling some of my pens from my collection. Would it be OK for me to post an ad in the classifieds, even if I don't have many posts yet? From what I see, some of you are against new(ish) members to post in classified. Thanks for feedback.
    I don't think it is as much being against newish members posting in classifieds as a twofold issue. First if someone does not regularly join in discussions it's hard to make a judgement about factors like "Is he one of them folk that keep monkeying with a pen?" or "Is that the guy that is always pressing too hard and flexing nibs?" or "Is that the guy who is always showing those perfect pens?". Second is the fact that the primary purpose of the board is discussion not selling; when someone shows up and uses the board only as a sales outlet yet never contributes to the primary function of the forum is the person really someone who like and learns about fountain pens or are the offerings just commodities?

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jar For This Useful Post:

KrazyIvan (December 10th, 2016), top pen (December 10th, 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,189 Times in 1,419 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jar View Post
    ....Second is the fact that the primary purpose of the board is discussion not selling; ....
    Well, not for me.

I have made many posts, but I now primarily come here just out of curiosity about possible pen deals. The more the merrier, as far as I am concerned. This board has not stated a "primary purpose" that I could find anywhere, and certainly when Dan was moderating and running it, there was a lot of new information about pens, with reviewing and purchasing in mind. The "purpose" of this rather unstructured and un-moderated board is now whatever each forum member decides it is and however each of us uses it. To each, her own. Caveat emptor.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jar View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by adhoc View Post
    I don't think it is as much being against newish members posting in classifieds as a twofold issue. First if someone does not regularly join in discussions it's hard to make a judgement about factors like "Is he one of them folk that keep monkeying with a pen?" or "Is that the guy that is always pressing too hard and flexing nibs?" or "Is that the guy who is always showing those perfect pens?". Second is the fact that the primary purpose of the board is discussion not selling; when someone shows up and uses the board only as a sales outlet yet never contributes to the primary function of the forum is the person really someone who like and learns about fountain pens or are the offerings just commodities?
    I completely understand that, but some of us love to read discussions and opinions and feel like our opinion doesn't really matter. That doesn't mean we don't enjoy the community, au contraire, I spend a lot of time here, but I rarely ever post, for example. And like a poster below you said, gotta always be on the look out for a sweet pen deal :-)

Thanks

I'm a bit late to this thread but I'll throw my two cents in. I have been slowly MIA for the last year or so. I dropped to posting maybe once a month and now look every few months.

That being said there are still a group of amazing people on this forum. I have enjoyed discussing pens and have great respect for many of you. I was put off by a collection of specific threads by a few people that were borderline disturbing in my opinion. Combine that with what has already been pointed out as a complete lack of interest in doing anything by the owner, I even offered to make a front end web site at one point to help keep things going but never heard back, and I assumed that the intent was to let this board move to just being a classifieds board that ran itself.

I have also started lurking on the reddit fountain pen subreddits as my work has me participating over there anyway.

As for the actions of people making others feel like they aren't important if I had a part in that I apologize. I also saw some trends towards political inclusions that I wished no part in and try to avoid.

I'm not bailing completely here I like seeing the updates of people I have spoken with. Who knows maybe the board will turn around and become something like it once was.
    My Pinterest Feel free to add me on Facebook as well.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Quantum Sailor For This Useful Post:

Jon Szanto (December 10th, 2016)

Thanks

The easiest solution I've found, since the link I keep to this site is a shortcut to the "What's New" listing, is the following:

• When the site comes up, look for the first sale item
    • In the far right column, click on the "For Sale" link, which brings up the "For Sale" sub-forum
    • When there, look to the right for "Forum Tools", click on "Mark This Forum Read"
    • Then click on "What's New" and all the sales items will be gone.

It's a few extra clicks and a few seconds of time, but it makes it easier for me to see the threads I am wanting to read. If I ever feel a need to browse sales, I just go to that sub-forum.

HTH,
    Jon
    Further to this useful suggestion, rather counter-intuitively I've now switched my shortcut for this site to start at the Classifieds, then I double click the icon to the left of sales and wanted sub-fora with new posts I don't wish to see to "mark them as read", and then I click on the "What's New" link at the top of the page. Seems, so far, to be the most efficient way to avoid the posts in all three commercial sub-fora with the minimum page loading, clicking, or scrolling. FWIW.
    Last edited by grainweevil; December 13th, 2016 at 02:09 AM. Reason: Correction to "double click"

22. The Following User Says Thank You to grainweevil For This Useful Post:

Jon Szanto (December 11th, 2016)

close to geographical center of the nation
    Thanks

For me, this turning into a primary sales forum is off putting. I will try the instructions for minimizing sales posts, just not liking it taking precedent, by volume, over normal discourse.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
    Sandy
    We don't know what we don't know

24. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sharmon202 For This Useful Post:

CaptainRon (December 13th, 2016), Jon Szanto (December 12th, 2016), VegHead (December 12th, 2016), VertOlive (December 12th, 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,390 Times in 2,505 Posts

If people would just stop buying stuff!!

Fred

26. The Following User Says Thank You to FredRydr For This Useful Post:

lsmith42 (December 13th, 2016)