Thread: Nemosine Singularity or TWSBI Eco?

Thanks

Default Nemosine Singularity or TWSBI Eco?

Hey! So I got into fountain pens about a year ago. I've been using a Pilot Metropolitan, which I love, although I wish I'd ordered a F instead of a M. But I'm a college student who writes everything out by hand, so the low ink capacity is starting to be less appealing. I'm torn between the Nemosine Singularity and the TWSBI Eco.

I could eyedropper the Singularity, and I really want the .6 stub. I have really tiny handwriting, but I also love calligraphy. I've been worried about ordering "normal" stubs and having them not work because of my handwriting. And if it doesn't work out, it's a #6 nib, so I could easily replace it.

For the Eco, I love the idea of a piston-filler. I travel a lot, and I've read that pistons are easier on planes. And it would be...potentially less messy to refill. It seems utterly wonderful, but it doesn't have that small stub. I've even considered ordering it and then getting it custom-ground (cursive italics seem like a dream to me). But it'll only be my second pen and likely the only other pen I can buy for several years. So it's crucial that it be perfect (or at least, that issues be easily fixable).

Does anyone have advice?

Thanks

Default Re: Nemosine Singularity or TWSBI Eco?

I like the capacity and simplicity of piston fillers. I have the TWSBI diamond mini and it's great!

I've never used an eyedropper because I'm afraid they'll leak and make a mess.

Thanks

If you get the Eco, you can opt for a different nib and grind later: http://www.fpnibs.com/en/72-eco

The TWSBI Vac 700 has a stopper that blocks off the main ink chamber, which is said to help make it less likely to leak during takeoff. But the ECO is a regular piston, so I am not sure how much that helps, unless you keep it full.

Note that the .6 stub is going to pretty subtle.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,155 Times in 1,103 Posts

TWSBI every time for me. I have several with replacement nibs from fpnibs.com.
    I also have a preference for finer nibs; I bought an Eco with the 1.1 stub and my partner ground it to a wonderful 0.65 CI. As gbryal says, a stub/CI of that size is going to be subtle in its effect, however mine does still demonstrate a distinct, albeit reduced, variation.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gbryal View Post
    If you get the Eco, you can opt for a different nib and grind later: http://www.fpnibs.com/en/72-eco
    Thank you so much! I didn't realize I could do that that easily for for less than the cost of a new pen!

Thank you!

Thanks

Another vote for the TWSBI.
    I just bought a TWSBI Eco (all clear demonstrator). It's an extra-fine. I write fairly small, and have been writing smaller. (I despise what my writing looks with a medium nib or in a large script. The finer the nib, the better for me.

Anyway, the Eco is pretty cool. My first piston filler and I like it a lot. The section is a bit tapered and slim, not Lamy style though. Your mileage will certainly vary on that one.

As for the Singularity, I had singularly bad luck. I ordered a Singularity and a Fission and both had feed problems. But they do have a great warranty. Have to send both of them in.

Good luck with your search!