Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Incwriyear?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TheRoXFiles View Post
    Personally, I thought it was understood that we would all continue to write to our new penpals from tomorrow on out--not write to everyone participating in InCoWriMo, regardless of add-on activities or challenges of some kind that get could get thrown into the mix into the future. O.o
    Well, I think there are several separate issues. Some people chose to write to a LOT of people and others didn't, such is their prerogative. Continuing to correspond beyond the 28 days will probably be up to the individuals involved. As far as sending stuff in the mail to someone, and other things suggested, weren't we talking about next year? If I'm not mistaken, Ivan wasn't suggesting to stop writing, but maybe not at the same pace and the sending/receiving stuff in the mail would be to someone you're already somewhat comfortable with and know sort of what they'd like and not to 28 somewhat random people.

I could be wrong...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by caribbean_skye View Post
    Well, I think there are several separate issues. Some people chose to write to a LOT of people and others didn't, such is their prerogative. Continuing to correspond beyond the 28 days will probably be up to the individuals involved. As far as sending stuff in the mail to someone, and other things suggested, weren't we talking about next year? If I'm not mistaken, Ivan wasn't suggesting to stop writing, but maybe not at the same pace and the sending/receiving stuff in the mail would be to someone you're already somewhat comfortable with and know sort of what they'd like and not to 28 somewhat random people.

I could be wrong...
    Well...I'm not sure that anyone in charge of InCoWriMo...uh, if there's someone actually in charge of this--not sure...has decided what to do with the address list, right? I deleted mine from my comment at the InCoWriMo blog the other day and edited it to let people know to leave me a PM here at FP Geeks.

Or else...is it just up to us from here on out? But is it wrong to continue using the address list from tomorrow onward...?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,222 Times in 598 Posts

I think Eric (the FPGeek who runs it) said he'd remove the addresses of the InCoWriMo site once it is over. I might be wrong. I don't mind if it stays, as I just used my P.O box...
    Will
    If my p.m box is full, feel free to email me at dabantur@gmail.com.

Thanks

I learned through experience and a bit of sleuthing that it's not as dangerous as one would think to share a home address. One thing I did before I decided to add my address was, I Googled it to see if it was there. Sure enough, there were at least two solid pages of search matches--mostly from realtor sites, although my parents have never been looking to sell the house. One even named my dad as the owner. And after throwing my hat into the ring, the InCoWriMo blog page never showed up--and I'm guessing it's because the settings were changed so that it wouldn't end up in Google, at least.

The other thing I did was ask my coworkers first, and my mom second. I've worked with a sub-department that handles ID theft, and from what I've known from experience there, you do need more than just a street address to do some financial damage of some kind. I also asked Mom for some advice because she's an accountant at another bank, too. She was iffy on what could be done with just a street address and nothing more, like an SSN or canceled checks or statements, but she pointed out she'd had her purse stolen years ago, which included her driver's license, and nothing happened. And a few years ago, some business called "A-24-7 Locksmith" tried using my parents' address as theirs. The most they got in the mail was credit card offers of some kind, and all they had to do was call up those companies and have them put it in their records that the address was wrong and there was no business there. Plus Mom said she's friends with the mailman, so she talked about it with him, too, and wrote "return to sender" on that mail, then sent it back.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fountainpenkid View Post
    I think Eric (the FPGeek who runs it) said he'd remove the addresses of the InCoWriMo site once it is over. I might be wrong. I don't mind if it stays, as I just used my P.O box...
    Nope, never said that. Removing all the addresses that have been shared in so many different areas would be quite an undertaking - and I could never be sure I found every address.

Addresses shared in the forum or in the comments at InCoWriMo will stay - unless the original poster edits/deletes them.

Thanks

I've created a post that I'm hoping will become a gathering place for InCo's interested in corresponding year round to gather:

http://fpgeeks.com/forum/showthread....-InCo-Pen-Pals

I've shared my mailing address there. Feel free to write. Anytime! =)

Thanks

Default Re: Incwriyear?

I would love to participate in this idea, as long as the ending correspondent published the result!
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRoXFiles View Post
    ...riiiiiiiiiight.

Anyway--personally, I had one other idea as a challenge:

Let's take a leaf from the Internet and try "replying with quotes" on paper...which isn't a new idea if you've ever done a "round robin" story in person with a group of people. Or actually--why not try doing a round robin story via mail? It's been a long time since I've done this myself, via email, but it's fun.

The basic idea with a round robin, at least, is that each person writes one sentence of a story on a sheet of paper (or in a blank email...), then passes that piece of paper or sends that email off to someone else to continue it. We can always tweak the number of sentences each person is allowed to write per turn. I figure that if this works with stories, it just might work with regular letter writing, too...just have to figure out what else should be involved.
    Write buzzed. Edit sober.