Thread: Disk Binding and Tomoe River Paper

Thanks

Default Disk Binding and Tomoe River Paper

I have been using an ADOC disk binding system (similar to Atoma, Circa, Rollabind, etc.) A4 notebook for work, and it works very well for me. Sadly, the UK company that used to distribute ADOC in the UK seems to have shut down, so I no longer have a source of refills. I could switch to another brand, but it won't be 100% compatible (at A4 size ADOC uses 12 rings where the other systems use 11 rings).

However, I have the ADOC punch, so I could punch my own paper. I have a Hobonichi Techo so am aware of the joy of Tomoe River paper. It is tempting to buy some loose-leaf Tomoe River A4 paper and punch it to fit, but I'm not sure how well this paper would work in a disk binding system.

Has anyone tried this out? If so, what are the pros and cons?

Thanks

Default Re: Disk Binding and Tomoe River Paper

I have serious doubts that it would work.

However I have some A4 Tomoe River. PM me your address and I'll send you some.

For information: The Staples Arc system is relatively cheap and the paper is fountain pen friendly. The Atoma system is nicer but the paper is worse from a fountain pen perspective. I have put Arc paper in Atoma binders but there is a slight (and annoying) difference in size that bothers the OCD part of me.

Sent from my E2303 using Tapatalk

3. The Following User Says Thank You to carlc For This Useful Post:

datainadequate (September 23rd, 2016)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by carlc View Post
    I have serious doubts that it would work.

However I have some A4 Tomoe River. PM me your address and I'll send you some.

For information: The Staples Arc system is relatively cheap and the paper is fountain pen friendly. The Atoma system is nicer but the paper is worse from a fountain pen perspective. I have put Arc paper in Atoma binders but there is a slight (and annoying) difference in size that bothers the OCD part of me.

Thank you for the offer of some Tomoe River paper, I will PM right away.

Thanks also for the heads up on Atoma paper. ADOC paper was a bit variable, but mostly good. I wouldn't mind swapping to the ARC system if I could use my nice Atoma aluminium discs with it. These fit the ADOC covers and pages nicely, and proved to be much smoother in operation than any of the plastic discs I've tried. I might see if my local Staples has any ARC products in stock this weekend.

Thanks

Oddly I have the Atoma aluminium discs too!

These systems are rather addictive and when Adoc disappeared I had to find an alternative. Just don't look at the William Hannah leather-bound version!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to carlc For This Useful Post:

datainadequate (September 23rd, 2016)

Thanks

Thanks to the generosity of carlc, I have now tried using Tomoe River paper in my ADOC system for several weeks. Sadly, my conclusion is that it does not work very well. It simply doesn't have enough stiffness to withstand the forces the binding rings place on it, especially at the top and bottom of the page. I have had to reinforce my Tomoe River pages using Sellotape to keep them in place. So, a worthy experiment, but in the end a failure. I have now bought a Staples ARC book to try out.

Thanks
    Thanked 10,464 Times in 4,005 Posts

That's a shame. You can get boxes of ring reinforcements that might have worked better than sellotape, but maybe the ARC book will turn out to be better.

Thanks

I used Circa for notebooks for a while. The paper was fine, and they were easy to use. I tried ARC but I didn't like the paper as well.

Now I'm happy with my Rhodia steno pad, and my Apica notebook. Both are a lot cheaper.