Thread: I Was a Handwriting Example!

Senior Member Waski_the_Squirrel's Avatar
    Thanks

Default I Was a Handwriting Example!

Yesterday, I made an eggplant spread for crackers and took it to school. I was proud of it because it was from my garden. I made a humorous sign for it and wrote up the recipe, both with my fountain pens and both in cursive.

Apparently the fourth grade teacher (yes, K-12 is all in the same building in my school) made a photocopy of my recipe to show her students. She had been talking to them about how we all develop our cursive style, and used me as an example. According to her they were impressed!

So, could someone please tell my 7th grade English teacher? I recall her threatening me with detention over my handwriting.

2. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Waski_the_Squirrel For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Alchemist (September 24th, 2016), datainadequate (September 24th, 2016), earthdawn (September 23rd, 2016), ethernautrix (September 24th, 2016), gwgtaylor (September 23rd, 2016), jar (September 24th, 2016), Marsilius (September 23rd, 2016), MY63 (September 24th, 2016), Robert (September 24th, 2016), Sailor Kenshin (September 24th, 2016), Scrawler (September 25th, 2016), StrongerLove (September 24th, 2016), VertOlive (September 24th, 2016), WmEdwards (September 24th, 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,489 Times in 1,748 Posts

Default Re: I Was a Handwriting Example!

Well-done, sir!

Lol...I actually WENT into detention because of my handwriting.
    My other pen is a Montblanc.

And my other blog is a tumblr!

And my latest ebook, for spooky wintery reading:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0CM2NGSSD

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Sailor Kenshin For This Useful Post:

Scrawler (September 25th, 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,712 Times in 1,610 Posts

Back when I was in third or fourth grade I was held up as an example when I brought the 45acp that followed Dad home from WW2 for show and tell. Interesting I did not get detention but was asked to give the same safety presentation in other classes where the teachers passed the gun around for the kids to examine.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jar For This Useful Post:

Brilliant Bill (September 24th, 2016), WmEdwards (September 24th, 2016)

Thanks

What a difference a few years make!

Quote Originally Posted by jar View Post
    Back when I was in third or fourth grade I was held up as an example when I brought the 45acp that followed Dad home from WW2 for show and tell. Interesting I did not get detention but was asked to give the same safety presentation in other classes where the teachers passed the gun around for the kids to examine.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jar View Post
    When I was in school, in the deep south, every male (of any race) had a pickup truck, with a gun rack, with guns in the rack for hunting after school, and never a word was said, nor an incident occur. No one thought a thing about it. Now, the times have certainly changed.

Thanks

I never got detention, but I did manage to lose grade points for two distinct characterizations of my cursive handwriting. I never managed to correct the practice of hooking my lower case "r" so that it looked like a lower case "s". I also had the bad habit of closed ascending and descending loops so that some letters looked like an uncrossed "t". None of my teachers would accept my explanation that I was simply developing my writing style. I still have the same problems today after more than seventy years of cursive writing. Only now my grandkids can't read my notes to them!
    John

“ I know you think you understand what you thought I said but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant” ― Alan Greenspan