Thread: Lamy Nibs - Has anyone ever had a Steel nib ground or smoothed professionally

Thanks

Default Lamy Nibs - Has anyone ever had a Steel nib ground or smoothed professionally

Hello,

I'm curious if anyone here has ever hed the standard steel nib which comes on the Lamy Safari/Al Star/Nexx ground or smoothed by a professional, and if so if you felt that it was worth the investment in a smoother nib.

I realize that the price for an entire pen approaches the cost of a re-grind, so some might see no point in pursuing this option. My experience has been that the Lamy nibs are OK but not nearly as nice as my Goulet #6 or the medium on my Bexley. I do like the ergonomics of the Lamy pens including the Nexx which is why I am considering this option.

Thanks!

Thanks

Default Re: Lamy Nibs - Has anyone ever had a Steel nib ground or smoothed professionally

No, but I'd be interested in the results if you tried it. Like you, I find the Safari and AL-star to be a really comfortable, well-balanced pen to write with.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to datainadequate For This Useful Post:

DavidtheGnome (September 26th, 2016)

Somewhere in the hills of eastern Washington
    Thanks

Default Re: Lamy Nibs - Has anyone ever had a Steel nib ground or smoothed professionally

I have not, but I wish nibmeisters (like the NibSmith) would keep some in stock and sell modified and tuned versions of them. The Lamy lamy z50 nib is ubiquitous in the fountain pen community and i believe that tuned nibs would offer an effective upgrade.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dfo For This Useful Post:

DavidtheGnome (September 26th, 2016), Wade (September 26th, 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 1,647 Posts

Yes. I have a matte black Safari that came with a medium black nib. I couldn't find a black stub nib and didn't want to lose the "stealth" look by adding a silver nib.

I sent the black nib off to Pendleton Brown for his "Butterline Stub" grind. I feel it was worth it to have the black nib in the grind I wanted. I still enjoy it and use it often.
    "Nolo esse salus sine vobis ...” —St. Augustine