Thread: Comparison of Noodler’s Texas Black Bat and Old Manhattan Blackest Black

Somewhere in the hills of eastern Washington
    Thanks

Default Comparison of Noodler’s Texas Black Bat and Old Manhattan Blackest Black

Here is a quick review of two inks that I have been playing around with for about a year in my Lamy 2000.

Noodler’s Texas Black Bat (TBB) and Old Manhattan Blackest Black (OMBB) are very similar inks. Both are store exclusives: TBB was made for Dromgooles of Houston, Tx and OMBB for Fountain Pen Hospital of New York, NY.

Untitled1.jpg
    Paper for this test is cheap card stock

Similarities
    1) Both inks are dark, rich, saturated black inks that look about the same on on cheap paper.
    2) Both inks share similar water resistant properties.
    3) They share a tendency to smudge for an extended period of time after writing, though TBB is a little worse than OMBB.
    4) They both leave particulate on and under the nib that has to be more rigorously cleaned out in comparison to black inks from other manufacturers (z.B. Aurora Black, Waterman Intense Black). On my Lamy 2000, the inks make the platinum coating look like its Ruthenium.

Differences:
    1) TBB takes longer to fully dry than OMBB on Clairefountain paper. I have had TBB smudge on Rhodia paper three-to-four days after writing, where as OMBB seems to fully dry in 10 minutes.
    2) TBB seems to have a slight sheen to the ink, whereas OMBB is more flat in color.
    3) Another difference lies in the textile feel when writing. In my Lamy 2000 (F), TBB feels less lubricated than OMBB. TBB seems to add a pencil like feedback when writing in comparison to OMBB, which seems a little bit smoother.
    4) The biggest difference is that Texas Black Bat behaves better on cheap paper. It feathers less than Old Manhattan. This can be seen on the first image.

Untitled 2.jpgUntitled 3.jpg

Which ink do I enjoy most:
    Though I typically prefer inks with better lubricated characteristics, I have found myself using Texas Black Bat more than Old Manhattan Blackest Black. Texas Black Bat works better on cheaper paper and has become one of my main inks that I use in grading papers.
    Last edited by dfo; September 30th, 2016 at 12:54 AM.

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to dfo For This Useful Post:

carlc (September 28th, 2016), earthdawn (September 28th, 2016), KKay (October 1st, 2016), Lady Onogaro (September 28th, 2016), laurielindly (September 28th, 2016)

Thanks

Default Re: Comparison of Noodler’s Texas Black Bat and Old Manhattan Blackest Black

How do these two inks compare to noodlers black?

Thanks

Default Re: Comparison of Noodler’s Texas Black Bat and Old Manhattan Blackest Black

Quote Originally Posted by akafridi3 View Post
    How do these two inks compare to noodlers black?
    Both Noodler's Texas Black Bat and Old Manhattan Blackest Black are much darker than the standard Noodler's Black. I do not have a sample of Noodler's Black to post a comparison. However, both of these inks are the most saturated, blackest inks I have ever used in a fountain pen.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to dfo For This Useful Post:

KKay (October 1st, 2016)

Thanks

Thanks. I think it's a very helpful review. I'm just looking for some ink darker than standard Noodler's Black and will definitely try these two out.

Thanks

Texas Black Bat is X-Feather.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzy_Bear View Post
    Texas Black Bat is X-Feather.
    I can only find rumors of this on reddit and FPN. Is there any proof? I will have to get a sample of X-Feather.
    "Love is the final fight."