Thread: A Review of a Danitrio Takumi Momotaro

Thanks
    Thanked 3,712 Times in 1,610 Posts

Default A Review of a Danitrio Takumi Momotaro

Not too long ago I posted a topic about how I first became interested in Asian arts and culture. One of the folktales I learned back then was the story of Momotaro or The Peach Boy.

The story goes like this.

An old man and old woman lived a meager life. The old man earned a living by collecting bamboo for others. They earned enough to get by but their life was empty. They had no children and the old woman knew how hard it was for her husband to climb the mountains and cut the hard bamboo then carry it back down the mountain and sell it. How much longer would he be able to keep it up and what would happen to them if he got sick or could no longer climb the mountain?

One day when her husband was off cutting bamboo she took the washing down to the stream. As she washed the clothes an enormous peach came floating down. What a treat that would be for her husband. She caught the peach and used her clothes basket to carry it home.

When her husband got back that evening he was surprised to see the peach, so big it covered half of their table, waiting. He got a knife but as he was about to cut it open the peach split open on its own and instead of a pit, there was a baby inside.

They named the child Momotaro. Momo is Peach in Japanese and Taro is an honorific for Eldest Son.

The boy was a happy child and the joy of their lives and soon he was old enough to start helping his father harvest bamboo as well as start a small garden where they grew their own food.

When he was around middle teenage years the area was suffering attack from Oni, demons, that lived on an island. Momo feared they would attack his family so he told his parents he would go and kill all the Oni. They feared for his life but he insisted so with their blessing he prepared to head off. His mother made a bag full of her special dumplings and rice cakes for him to take with him and he set off.

During the journey he acquired three companions, first a dog, then a monkey and finally a pheasant. After many adventures the four arrived at the Oni's Castle on the Island. The Pheasant flew over the wall and saw that the gate was held closed by a great bar. The Monkey climbed over the gate and lifted out the bar while the Dog pushed the great door open.

The four travelers then attacked the Oni's, Momotaro using his speed and sword, the Dog biting the Oni's legs, the Monkey clawing and scratching while the Pheasant flew at their faces pecking at their eyes. Soon all the Oni's were defeated and Momotaro and his friends gathered up all that the Oni's had stolen to return to the village. There was still enough left after all the stolen property was returned to provide a comfortable living for the old man and woman and Momotaro and his companions were celebrated as heroes.

That great Enabler hated by my Bank but loved by many fountain pen owners Bryant has had a Danitrio Takumi on his site for years that featured a Boy with Peaches and I had been watching it, hoping someone would buy it.

But they never did.

And I finally decided that the next pen I bought really would be the next to last pen I would EVER buy and so it made it's way to me.

The Takumi is the smallest currently made pen in their line up but still about the same size (but with a smaller nib) as the Montblanc 149. I already had one and loved the size so that was fortunate, AND the Peach Boy pen was available with a stub nib.

So... here is the Danitrio Takumi Momotaro created by Dento Kogei-shi Kosetsu (Tatsuya Todo).

Last edited by jar; October 3rd, 2016 at 08:17 AM. Reason: appalin spallin

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to jar For This Useful Post:

amk (October 3rd, 2016), Brilliant Bill (October 3rd, 2016), da vinci (September 29th, 2016), dr.grace (September 29th, 2016), ethernautrix (October 3rd, 2016), Haefennasiel (October 1st, 2016), penwash (October 3rd, 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,579 Times in 943 Posts

Default Re: A Review of a Danitrio Takumi Momotaro

I love the story! I am interested in Japanese history and stories, too, as you may know by my screen name. So thank you for sharing it.

The pen is beautiful, too. How long is it unposted? Is it a big pen?
    Lady Onogaro

"Be yourself--everybody else is already taken." --Oscar Wilde

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Onogaro View Post
    I love the story! I am interested in Japanese history and stories, too, as you may know by my screen name. So thank you for sharing it.

The pen is beautiful, too. How long is it unposted? Is it a big pen?
    Unposted it is 133mm from tip of nib to end of body. The Takumi is about the same size as a Montblanc 149 but with a smaller nib. The Dani Takumis are wider than my Nakayas but similar length and just a hair shorter than the Platinum Izumos. The Danitrio Hanryo is slightly smaller, about Montblanc 146 size.

Danitrio Takumi Megatame

Danitrio Hanryo Suzume (based on the legend of the Tongue Cut Sparrow)

AbE: Here are the Boring Details as to sizes with some comparisons.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by jar; September 29th, 2016 at 04:48 PM.

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jar For This Useful Post:

amk (October 3rd, 2016), Blue Note (October 4th, 2016), Lady Onogaro (October 3rd, 2016), titrisol (October 3rd, 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,282 Times in 556 Posts

That is a lovely pen. It looks vintage -- the "illustration," I suppose -- and just... lovely. We say in Pen Posse, Nakaya for urushi, Danitrio for maki-e.

Thanks

The most enjoyable pen "review" I've seen. Thanks.

Thanks

Dear Brilliant Bill, i am rather envious of you. It seems that you are able to freely place postings of those aspects of your pen hobby without eliciting responses from carping critics. You know, those who seize opportunities to prissily vent opinions.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to k3eax For This Useful Post:

Brilliant Bill (October 3rd, 2016)

Thanks

The Hanryo Suzume is breathtaking!!
    maybe when I grow up
    Unix is user-friendly ; it's just picky about who it's friends are -

Thanks

I love the little guy's bright red shoes :-) It is fascinating finding out so much about Japanese culture from our mutual interest in pens.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by amk View Post
    I love the little guy's bright red shoes :-) It is fascinating finding out so much about Japanese culture from our mutual interest in pens.
    The shoes match his rope belt and the strings used to tie his topknot.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to jar For This Useful Post:

amk (October 4th, 2016)