Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Why so very few postings about inexpensive Chinese pens?

Thanks

Default Re: Why so very few postings about inexpensive Chinese pens?

I think people just don't get exited about them.
    I have two, a hero that I butchered into some type of italic just for fun and now love playing with, and a Jinhao x450. Don't tell the real Montblanc fans but I've actually put a medium nib from a 146 in it! Writes like a dream 😈. Generally with Chinese pens quality is hit and miss, but I find the good ones are really good.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,798 Times in 943 Posts

I used to post about them a lot but I think lack of Chinese pen posts is a sign of a maturing forum community. They are good starter pens if you want to learn nib adjusting and grinding. That's what I used them for. I'll get one or two a year now, but it has to be a pretty compelling reason. The last 2 I purchased were for zebra G nib conversions.
    Fountain Pen Sith Lord | Daakusaido | Everything in one spot

Thanks

I feel like they are the fountain pen equivalent of Bic Stics or the like. There have always been cheap bargain basement fountain pens made. They are good starter pens and 'workhorse" pens. Also, to be frank, not everyone can responsibly spend $200.00 or even $70.00 on a pen.

I bought a bunch of these cheap pens, in spite of my desire to not support totalitarian regimes—BLUSH, and I'm also buying vintage cheapie pens and learning to repair and modify them both.

As a rough guess, I'd say 70% of the Chinese pens I've bought are functioning, decent pens for practicing my handwriting, taking notes, and processing paperwork at my office. The bad plastic of many of the 992s is most disappointing.

I've had no luck with Baoer pens-or I should say Baoer nibs-they are corroding. I've noticed a lot of corrosion developing on Chinese nibs in general, that is what's turning me off to them. I'm trying figure out if it's something I've done or the ink or just the cheap metal.

In the fullness of time the prosaic becomes just as valuable as the exceptional.

Pax,
    John

4. The Following User Says Thank You to JFB For This Useful Post:

AzJon (November 16th, 2017)

Thanks

Almost a year passed and I think the Chinese pen market has changed a bit. Lingmo, WingSung and Delike have upped the bar and made things interesting for me again.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to KrazyIvan For This Useful Post:

JFB (November 16th, 2017)

Thanks

I like the Wing Sung 3008 a lot, but don't talk about it here because there doesn't seem much interest, especially when compared to the highly active Chinese pen section of the forum at the Other Place.
    It's all about the greys...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Amanda View Post
    I like the Wing Sung 3008 a lot, but don't talk about it here because there doesn't seem much interest, especially when compared to the highly active Chinese pen section of the forum at the Other Place.
    It's all in one thread around here somewhere.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,927 Times in 842 Posts

My main interest is vintage pens but I like Chinese pens too. They turn out good fine and extra-fine points.
    Regards,
    Deb
    My Blog

Thanks

Largely because I don't support knock-off pens. I can understand a line paying homage to or drawing inspiration from other pens brands (How many variations of black cigar can you really make?), but with their blatant Lamy Safari ripoffs, low quality production (I broke the feed on a Jinhao 159 by putting the convertor into it), and generally unimpressive pens...There really is nothing special about them worth talking about, honestly. There has been some interesting buzz with the Wingsun 698 this past year that bears similarities to the TWSBI Eco, but has a super cool clear acrylic feed. That said, the overall opinion I've heard out there is that the plastic feels cheap and the overall experience is kinda "meh". So if the best these companies have to offer is "meh" as an experience...Why bother?

11. The Following User Says Thank You to AzJon For This Useful Post:

Dragonmaster Lou (November 16th, 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,423 Times in 1,715 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by AzJon View Post
    Largely because I don't support knock-off pens. I can understand a line paying homage to or drawing inspiration from other pens brands (How many variations of black cigar can you really make?), but with their blatant Lamy Safari ripoffs, low quality production (I broke the feed on a Jinhao 159 by putting the convertor into it), and generally unimpressive pens...There really is nothing special about them worth talking about, honestly. There has been some interesting buzz with the Wingsun 698 this past year that bears similarities to the TWSBI Eco, but has a super cool clear acrylic feed. That said, the overall opinion I've heard out there is that the plastic feels cheap and the overall experience is kinda "meh". So if the best these companies have to offer is "meh" as an experience...Why bother?
    Because not every experience is 'meh.'
    My other pen is a Montblanc.

And my other blog is a tumblr!

And my latest ebook, for spooky wintery reading:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0CM2NGSSD

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sailor Kenshin For This Useful Post:

Amanda (November 16th, 2017), Waski_the_Squirrel (November 16th, 2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sailor Kenshin View Post
    I guess this is a case of "your mileage may vary," because I've had no real good experiences with the two Jinhaos I've had. Sure they've worked okay for a bit, but they both ended up falling apart after a couple of months of use.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Dragonmaster Lou For This Useful Post:

AzJon (November 16th, 2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonmaster Lou View Post
    I guess this is a case of "your mileage may vary," because I've had no real good experiences with the two Jinhaos I've had. Sure they've worked okay for a bit, but they both ended up falling apart after a couple of months of use.
    Of course. But...If you've only had two, the chances of failure increae.

Some of my Chinese pens are happily serving me decades later.

Thanks

Perhaps, but that would answer the original question: Why so very few postings about inexpensive Chinese pens? "Nothing worth writing home about," as they say.

Thanks

Check the Jinhao 992 thread.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sailor Kenshin For This Useful Post:

JFB (November 16th, 2017), Lady Onogaro (November 17th, 2017)

Thanks

Check the Jinhao 992 thread.
    The one that talks about how to pre-emptively handle their fragility?

I'm not saying they are bad pens, just not terribly interesting.

Besides

don't support knock-off pens.
    Being a knockoff Sailor falls squarely in my reasons.

Thanks

So many well-known brands are little more than knock-offs of earlier designs that it seems odd to tar only the Chinese makers with this brush. Kinda sounds like its okay when we do it but not when someone else does it.

Agreed with Sailor Kenshin (great name btw). Had several Chinese pens over the years and only one had any issues. For the price they're hard to beat. Got a Baoer 388 that is just as good as a parker sonnet, maybe even better. In mine opinion.

Sides which, when talking bout quality just look back thru all the old threads where peeps are complaining of high end pens that leak, don't write, etc etc.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Gunderson For This Useful Post:

Deb (November 17th, 2017)

Thanks

I have not had any problems with the Chinese pens that I have or given to folks.
    I urged you to consider one another's views with an open mind...you're not to give up
    a Point Of View, however, that you conscientiously believe in..simply because you're
    outnumbered or outweighed..........................

Fred
    ...I wish everyone peace..and concentrated effort towards good will...
    {thanksspikey}

Thanks

That's why there are "so very few postings about inexpensive Chinese pens" here. Similar scorn heaped in any other interest area would kill conversation there too.

I got out my Wing Sung 698, and for good measure a Caliarts Ego and Wing Sung 3008, to compare to a couple of TWSBI Eco. Yes, they're all piston fill demonstrators, but beyond that they're different.

2017-11-17 08.38.06.jpg
    It's all about the greys...

Thanks

Ok, I get it. Y'all love your pens. A question was asked about why we don't see more posts, an answer was given (that isn't that far of a stretch), and the defenders rise up.

Similar scorn heaped in any other interest area would kill conversation there too.
    Kind of a leap, don't you think? What scorn, beyond pointing out actual problems with the pens, do you reckon is being "heaped on"?

Edit: I'm fully willing to change my opinion on these pens. My experience with a few Dollar pens and a few Jinhaos were just not great. Maybe I need to give the 992 a fair shake (and the WS 698, since it is a newer pen that seems to be doing well).

On a positive note, I thought the Hero 616 was a pretty decent pen.
    Last edited by AzJon; November 16th, 2017 at 06:37 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,927 Times in 842 Posts

Dollar pens are not Chinese.
    Regards,
    Deb
    My Blog

Thanks

Cool Re: Why so very few postings about inexpensive Chinese pens?

I'd be interested in cheap Chinese pens if they weren't blatant substandard attempts to copy another's design - I'd be interested in expensive Chinese pens if they were original and evolutionary, or even at least were of simple quality with just a touch of Chinese heritage, tradition, and culture.

The fact that they are cheap should not, in itself be off-putting; look at the price of Apple phones, they are well known for being made by Chinese labour in conditions which could equate to slavery and have even been reported to cause suicides.

For me, Chinese ebay pens simply look like tat (it's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing), and having bought and not so long after chucked an American pen at a price which would've bought 20 odd Chinese wannabes, I would rather just buy a Lamy Safari or Parker Vector if I want a simple 'cheap' pen.

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SIR For This Useful Post:

AzJon (November 17th, 2017), Dragonmaster Lou (November 17th, 2017)