Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Why so very few postings about inexpensive Chinese pens?

Thanks

Default Re: Why so very few postings about inexpensive Chinese pens?

Quote Originally Posted by gbryal View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Wuddus View Post
    [

I am currently at 5 relatively cheap pens, and consider that too many. One fine, one medium, and one italic, along with a goodly assortment of inks, would do me just fine ... but I don't know what I like in a fountain pen yet. These cheapos are letting me explore that without making expensive errors.
    I get that, I did the same thing. I wish I could make the errors for you. Sometimes the errors ARE the cheapos, as the quest can leave quite a body count.
    One thing that works for me is to get anything that can hold a JoWo #6 nib unit. Edisons are one way, but you could get a Ranga more cheaply. As long as the converter lines up in the section, you are in business. Then you can accumulate steel and gold JoWos to your heart's content in all sizes and send a few off for custom grinds.

But I'm off topic for inexpensive Chinese pens now. I have a bunch of them, I like some of them, I don't totally regret buying them but they mostly take up space now.
    I understand.

I'm not using the cheapos to judge what they are cloned on. I'm not that naive. It's even more simplistic than that right now. I'm looking to find out if I like light or heavy, chunky or slim, long or short, wetter or drier. Do I prefer a round section or a faceted one. What things don't I like that I haven't even considered yet? It may be whether a clip is needed or not, and what style clips I prefer, which method of filling, or how much it holds. These things can only be answered by experiencing different pens, and I simply do not have the funds or the desire to answer these questions at £20 a time. For example, my most expensive pen is a Parker Vector three nib set. It's still a cheap pen, but it taught me to look for a smoother transition between section and barrel. The Safari clone taught me that some pens can be annoying when the cap is posted, because it falls at the wrong height and rubs at the side of my index finger. The TWSBI clone taught me that some pens can't be refilled with a syringe, are awkward to refill when a bottle gets low, and that some won't even fit down the neck of some bottles. The Jinhao 450 is a fatter and heavier pen. Time will tell me if this is good or bad for me.

I don't need expensive pens to learn these lessons, in fact I would rather those lessons only cost me £1 a time. When I start to understand what does and does not work for me, I can look at the £15 to £20 with at least a modicum of understanding of what I might or might not like about it. Some may say that the nib is everything, but right now all that matters is that it draws a line. The right nib is just the cherry on the top. I'm more concerned with what makes my hand fatigue, or chafes, or chews up my pocket, or is a swine to fill. The bottom line is that until you have spent a good few hours using different pens, the only things that you see when you look at a pen is how much it costs, and whether it's ugly or pretty (which is subjective anyway). If a new manufacturer released a new range of pens tomorrow, you could look at them all and know which you'd like and which you wouldn't. I can't. More importantly, I'm very limited on how much I'm prepared to spend finding out. My pens probably all set me back about £15 total. By the time that reaches £50 total, I want to have already found and bought at least one of my ideal pens. If I haven't, I'll have probably already started to lose interest.
    Last edited by Wuddus; April 11th, 2018 at 04:32 PM.

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Wuddus For This Useful Post:

baudin (May 14th, 2022), BillPorter (April 22nd, 2018), calamus (September 22nd, 2018), gbryal (April 11th, 2018), Morgaine (April 13th, 2018), Sailor Kenshin (April 11th, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,703 Times in 822 Posts

Are there dry writing, yet reliable, Chinese pens?

The jinhao 599 (F #5 nib) I got wrote dry, but with skips and hard starts, even after ultrasonic cleaning, flushing and tweaking. Not worth it compared to my very reliable $30 Parker 45.

Generally I think I am done with Chinese pens for awhile and will move on to higher quality brands. I have some basic ideas of what I prefer, and the Chinese pens didn't help much with that, frankly.

Thanks

Mine only tend to skip when I reach a point where I had been holding the page still and there's potentially grease off my fingers, or if I've got the pen held slightly wrong. I did notice that one of mine has a slight "baby's bottom" thing at the underside of the nib, but I'll just take a stone to it if it gets annoying. I don't mind too much if a cheap nib isn't perfect, any more than if a new pocket knife isn't sharp. I think that basic maintenance is a skill I should have if I'm going to buy and use this stuff. I already tend to resharpen pocket knives anyway, unless they're Victorinox, as they tend not to have the grind I want on them when I get them, and I'm starting to feel the same with nibs - get a cheap one, and refine it myself.

Thanks

Without buying Chinese fountain pens, I would not have had a good giggle or three over the customs declaration form. I've apparently received "household lamps" and "pc rear mirror" whatever the latter is, I don't know. However, I do like the idea of buying bulbs!!

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Morgaine For This Useful Post:

azkid (April 20th, 2018), Yazeh (January 27th, 2021)

Thanks

Although I am new to fountain pen as a whole, I don't think cheap Chinese pens are that interesting. For example, if you are living in America or Europe you got plenty of choices for cheap pen. If you live somewhere near Japan, it is even easier to get a cheaper pen from Japanese manufacturers like Pilot or Platinum. I have been using the Pilot Metropolitan/Kakuno and a Lami Safari for a while and find no reason to buy cheap Chinese pens.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by aaronp View Post
    Although I am new to fountain pen as a whole, I don't think cheap Chinese pens are that interesting. For example, if you are living in America or Europe you got plenty of choices for cheap pen. If you live somewhere near Japan, it is even easier to get a cheaper pen from Japanese manufacturers like Pilot or Platinum. I have been using the Pilot Metropolitan/Kakuno and a Lami Safari for a while and find no reason to buy cheap Chinese pens.

Really now, how many inexpensicve Chinese pens have you tried? I dare say, none.

Thanks

I've always found the Chinese pens to write really well and be reliable. I find them of better quality than cheap Parkers and Lamys.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Medieval View Post
    I've always found the Chinese pens to write really well and be reliable. I find them of better quality than cheap Parkers and Lamys.
    Agreed! I have one cheap Parker, and all my cheap Chinese pens are better.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,703 Times in 822 Posts

That's good to know.

I will likely revisit sone other models and brands after fulfilling a few other quests.

To be fair my brand new Safari was having flow problems today. So I guess I can't judge the 599 too harshly.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,502 Times in 1,754 Posts

There's a Prera-inspired WS out there. Once I tried the first one, I bought nearly all the colors. I don't know how well they'll hold up, but for two bucks, they write a nice fine line, and the clear feed is a bonus for me.
    My other pen is a Montblanc.

And my other blog is a tumblr!

And my latest ebook, for spooky wintery reading:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0CM2NGSSD

Thanks
    Thanked 3,807 Times in 1,648 Posts

All in the Spirit of Exploration, I'm trying a new Chinese maker: bought a Pen BBS 267 coming in on the slow boat. It's desk pen size, about 185mm long in a "white cedar" acrylic.

$11.99 on Etsy
    Last edited by VertOlive; April 28th, 2018 at 03:55 PM.
    "Nolo esse salus sine vobis ...” —St. Augustine

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by VertOlive View Post
    All in the Spirit of Exploration, I'm trying a new Chinese maker: bought a Pen BBS 267 coming in on the slow boat. It's desk pen size, about 60mm long in a "white cedar" acrylic.

$11.99 on Etsy
    Are you sure about that length? 60mm is less than 2.1/2" long...

Thanks
    Thanked 3,807 Times in 1,648 Posts

"Kindle Typo"! Fixed above.
    "Nolo esse salus sine vobis ...” —St. Augustine

Thanks

Thanks

As in so many other forums, people think differently about fountain pens. Many of you foo-foo Chinese fountain pens, yet, you will buy goods from the stores, (and unless you look around for strictly American made products, and kudos to you if you do), nearly 99% products which are imported from China. True that we have such wonderful pens: our Schaeffer's our Parkers, (once, although I don't think anymore) our Noodlers, and so on. I know the list is long, and I admit I'm a lazy shopper. I also live on a fixed, retired income, and if I didn't have to worry about bills for one month, I could afford a Montblanc. To be honest, I have no one to impress except myself. I do enjoy learning about other pens, and the small collection I have consists of one Parker, two Sheaffers, and the remainder are Baoers and Jinhaos. This shouldn't shock you, nor should you recoil in horror. Just be thankful, as I am, that there is a whole world of fountain pens waiting to be enjoyed. Even the cheap Chinese ones. My favorite pen? It's the Italian beauty I don't have. Maybe in another life. Have fun. Be kind.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,798 Times in 943 Posts

Not in the cheap category but it looks really cool, The Genesis Pen is an eyedropper pen with an ink chamber that is supposed to resemble DNA. Take a look at the Instagram account, there are some videos showing the ink sloshing around. It is mesmerizing to look at.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BnUJL7cl..._web_copy_link

Fountain Pen Sith Lord | Daakusaido | Everything in one spot

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KrazyIvan For This Useful Post:

Sailor Kenshin (September 19th, 2018), suzy01 (September 19th, 2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KrazyIvan View Post
    Not in the cheap category but it looks really cool, The Genesis Pen is an eyedropper pen with an ink chamber that is supposed to resemble DNA. Take a look at the Instagram account, there are some videos showing the ink sloshing around. It is mesmerizing to look at.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BnUJL7cl..._web_copy_link

They look crazy fun

I've discovered that I love cheapo Chinese pens! I ordered a JinHao 750 for about £2.50 on amazon in March and only just got around to trying it recently. It's so good I ordered another two so I can carry multiple coloured inks without worrying about dying my twsbi funny colours. I'm all ready for inktober now they've arrived

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

21. The Following User Says Thank You to suzy01 For This Useful Post:

KrazyIvan (September 19th, 2018)

Thanks

I bought a couple of JinHaos, some were lamy safari clones that broke within 2 weeks and the others were just so-so
    I guess you get what you pay for
    Unix is user-friendly ; it's just picky about who it's friends are -

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by titrisol View Post
    I bought a couple of JinHaos, some were lamy safari clones that broke within 2 weeks and the others were just so-so
    I guess you get what you pay for
    You always get what you pay for. Buy once or buy numerous times, you know what you can spend. Every once in a while you do get a golden item.
    0.5mm vs 0.7mm graphite sizes is much like 9mm vs 45acp...they both work if you know what you are doing. - me

Looking for Caran d'Ache Type 55 2mm set and Rotation .7 pencils.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,798 Times in 943 Posts

I have one of those Jinhao-Lamy look-alike pens. It has worked fine for me. One that surprised me is a Jinhao I gave my daughter last year. The one that looks like a Sailor pen. She uses it daily at school and she has dropped it a few times. Those are infamous for cracking and hers has not even flinched. Luck of the draw I guess.
    Fountain Pen Sith Lord | Daakusaido | Everything in one spot