Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Sheaffer Tuckaway Conversion

Thanks
    Thanked 11,042 Times in 4,011 Posts

Default Re: Sheaffer Tuckaway Conversion

Quote Originally Posted by penwash View Post
    Guess what, I have resuscitated another Sheaffer vac-filler.
    This time a skinny but long Balance that came to me as parts (literally).
    Ok, now I have to part ways with you. That pen, and that vac filler, should be restored. It's a well designed system and when restored properly with good materials, will work for decades and, in a pen this size, really carries a lot of ink. It is a shame to have such a nicely designed pen and filling system given this much of a shortcut. It's just my opinion, but in my mind the pen deserves a better fate. There are plenty of crappy pens one can convert to eyedroppers or bulb fillers.

I mean, come on - this is just the best:

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks
    Thanked 6,703 Times in 1,972 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post
    Ok, now I have to part ways with you. That pen, and that vac filler, should be restored. It's a well designed system and when restored properly with good materials, will work for decades and, in a pen this size, really carries a lot of ink. It is a shame to have such a nicely designed pen and filling system given this much of a shortcut. It's just my opinion, but in my mind the pen deserves a better fate. There are plenty of crappy pens one can convert to eyedroppers or bulb fillers.

I mean, come on - this is just the best:
    Jon, indeed we do need to part ways in this particular case.

Don't know how many more times I have to repeat this :
    I have nothing against restoring a vac-filler to its original condition. I have even done it.

I respect puristic perspective in restoration, but that does not mean I am okay to be caged within it.

Oh, and by the way, *this* conversion is totally reversible, just add a plunger (the pen didn't come with it, I did mention it came to me as parts, and I mean it) and the rubber gaskets.

But I like the pen as-is, it's so much easier to fill and clean (which is my whole point).
    - Will
    Unique and restored vintage pens: Redeem Pens

Thanks
    Thanked 1,113 Times in 573 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gregamckinney View Post
    Will,
    This is an older photo, but shows most of the Tuckaways I've managed to collect.
    There are a few duplicates in here, and I have several duplicates not shown, mostly pens with 14k trim.

Best Regards, greg
    Greg,

I see some missing variants...I'll need to look in my stuff and see if I can help you out. Perhaps you have a list of 'missing' pens?

Todd

Thanks

Oh, and by the way, *this* conversion is totally reversible...
    In that case, I hereby attenuate my umbrage by some marginal percentage.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks
    Thanked 1,282 Times in 556 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ethernautrix View Post
    I love Tuckies, but I don't like the filling systems. (Sad face.) If only they were c/c. Go ahead, throw the tomatoes. I can cook them into a nice marinara sauce.
    I'll get some of those tomatoes too, I'm sure.

Which brings us back to my conversion

Which is a good thing because the nib that came with it is quite wonderful.

YES! Vintage Sheaffer nibs are amongst my favorite Favorites!

Nice job, penwash. I don't like sacs, either. (Laughing.) If you can make a c/c of a vintage Sheaffer, I would love to see it.

Jon, you've already dialed down your reaction, but I was still surprised at your initial reaction. "Rahr rahr rahr!" Hehehee! I wish you were still angry or offended so I could yell, "WRONG!" SNL-style, of course.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,428 Times in 1,716 Posts

I love them Tucky's

I love the Triumph nib, I love the size, I love the clip, and I just love the look of the pen.

The only one thing that I am not crazy about is the Vacuum filler system. Yes it's a cool mechanism, and yes, I have restored a few without accidents, but the vacuum filler system is way down there in my list of favorite filling systems. I guess I just don't like how it operates.

So I had an idea to convert a Tuckaway vacuum-filler into something that is simpler and easier to use. And this is what I ended up with:

A Sheaffer Tuckaway bulb-filler.

While the bulb contains a tad less ink than the transparent vacuum chamber (not the barrel), I think I can get very close by installing a breather tube.

Now, I'm sure some of you will say it's a sacrilege to do this conversion, but to me, I gain a much simpler way to fill the pen I love to use with ink, and along with it, I get all the functionality without having to buy special gaskets and seals. Only ink sac, shellac, silicon grease, which I already have invested in.

So let's see, how many of you think this is a good idea, and how many of you think this is not preferable than the vacuum-filler?
    So what is the process? I have a beater Tuckaway that's not actually working now except as a dipper.
    My other pen is a Montblanc.

And my other blog is a tumblr!

And my latest ebook, for spooky wintery reading:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0CM2NGSSD

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post
    Oh, and by the way, *this* conversion is totally reversible...
    In that case, I hereby attenuate my umbrage by some marginal percentage.
    Your "umbrage" got me thinking, because to some degree, I share your sentiments with these old darlings.

So let me clarify this:
    I do not believe in doing irreversible conversions on:

1. Family heirlooms fountain pens.
    2. Mint condition rare models.
    3. Pens that are not mine, unless per request from the owner.
    4. Pens with history behind it.
    5. Something else that I'll remember later (feel free to suggest)

Other than that, I believe I can do any conversions I can think off on any pens I pay for myself.
    - Will

Thanks

YES! Vintage Sheaffer nibs are amongst my favorite Favorites!

Nice job, penwash. I don't like sacs, either. (Laughing.) If you can make a c/c of a vintage Sheaffer, I would love to see it.

Jon, you've already dialed down your reaction, but I was still surprised at your initial reaction. "Rahr rahr rahr!" Hehehee! I wish you were still angry or offended so I could yell, "WRONG!" SNL-style, of course.
    Lisa,

You're not the first who asked that, and I did try to fit various sizes of both cartridges and converters, and none of them worked well.
    At least not on this pen which has a long but skinny barrel.

If I know someone who can make a custom-sized cartridge (plastic injection molding machine, maybe?), I should be able to give them the dimension.
    - Will

Thanks

Girlfriend, you certainly know: discrete and righteous indignation is neither right nor wrong, it just IS! A passionless life is a wasted life, in my book.

~ Benjamin Franklin

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

penwash (October 7th, 2016)

gregamckinney

Todd, there are definitely some missing pens in this photo. It is several years old, and a few of the gaps have been filled in since.
    Unfortunately most of these are in storage at the moment, so I can't make a solid inventory. Once I get things unpacked again, I'll let you know.
    Thank you!
    greg

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sailor Kenshin View Post
    I love them Tucky's

I love the Triumph nib, I love the size, I love the clip, and I just love the look of the pen.

The only one thing that I am not crazy about is the Vacuum filler system. Yes it's a cool mechanism, and yes, I have restored a few without accidents, but the vacuum filler system is way down there in my list of favorite filling systems. I guess I just don't like how it operates.

So I had an idea to convert a Tuckaway vacuum-filler into something that is simpler and easier to use. And this is what I ended up with:

While the bulb contains a tad less ink than the transparent vacuum chamber (not the barrel), I think I can get very close by installing a breather tube.

Now, I'm sure some of you will say it's a sacrilege to do this conversion, but to me, I gain a much simpler way to fill the pen I love to use with ink, and along with it, I get all the functionality without having to buy special gaskets and seals. Only ink sac, shellac, silicon grease, which I already have invested in.

So let's see, how many of you think this is a good idea, and how many of you think this is not preferable than the vacuum-filler?
    So what is the process? I have a beater Tuckaway that's not actually working now except as a dipper.
    SK, when I get a chance soon, I'll write up how I did the conversion. I'll post it here when I did.
    - Will

Thanks

This wee collection of Sheaffer Tuckaways turned up at the Raleigh Pen Show a few months ago.

What could I do???

regards

David
    David R. Isaacson, MD

http://www.vacumania.com : Sales site for guaranteed, restored collectible pens.

The Fountain Pen Board /FPnuts : Archived Message Board with focus on vintage.

The Fountain Pen Journal: The new glossy full-color print magazine, published/edited by iconic fountain pen author Paul Erano.

Facebook pen group "Fountain Pens"/FPnuts: Davey's casual Facebook group for collectible pens.
    31000 members and growing. World's heftiest daily vintage pen eye candy

Thanks

That is ... quite something.
    Did you get the whole collection?
    - Will

Thanks

I love them Tucky's

SK, when I get a chance soon, I'll write up how I did the conversion. I'll post it here when I did.
    Penwash, I would still love to know. Have acquired one or two more beaters, and I'd like to at least give the conversion a shot.

Thanks for your help with my Federal, too.

Thanks

Penwash, I would still love to know. Have acquired one or two more beaters, and I'd like to at least give the conversion a shot.

Thanks for your help with my Federal, too.
    SK, my fault, I did write a note to myself about the conversion so I don't forget, but of course I forgot to post it here:

*****WARNING: This conversion is not reversible. Don't read on if this idea didn't sit well with you. I personally can and have restored Tuckaway "properly" and these following steps are just an alternative way to end up with a functioning pen and I chronicle it within my full right to do as I wish with my own pens, and so can you, dear readers, with your own pens. NO GUARANTEES OR WARRANTIES ARE IMPLICITLY OR EXPLICITLY EXPRESSED WITHIN THE FOLLOWING STEPS. FOLLOW THEM AT YOUR OWN RISK.

1. Which Tuckaway is a good candidate for this conversion:
    - Those having an internal tube that contained the vacuum rod and the ink (as opposed ink in the barrel directly).
    - And those whose barrel have shrunk enough so the vacuum rod no longer can get in and out of the end of the barrel.
    - And those whose rod are bent, rusted or no longer functioning.

2. Detaching the blind cap: Open the blind cap, pull the rod as far as it will go, and rotate the screw inside the blind cap (I use a sturdy tweezer ends fit into the two slots on the top of the inside screw). Sometimes you have to immerse the whole blind cap and part of the rod in water overnight to dissolve hardened ink. Just make sure to dry the parts if you had to do this to prevent rust.

3. Remove the barrel, exposing the inner plastic tube where the vacuum plunger rod operates inside of it. Cut the tube about half-way (I use Dremel). Put aside the vacuum plunger rod, and the top half of the cut tube, we won't be needing them anymore. If the rod is in a good shape, keep it as a spare. TIP: This is also a good opportunity to flush the section and feed from the back, use a blunt syringe and blast away dry ink clogging the feed, all without disturbing the Triumph nib unit which is another battle in itself.

4. Get a #16 or #18 rubber ink sac (or silicone if you prefer), cut and fit the ink sac inside the cut tube (at least 1/2 inch of the ink sac should be snug inside the tube). Leave enough of the ink sac outside of the tube for comfortable squeeze to get ink in and out of the pen. Make sure that the barrel will fit and cover everything nicely when fully threaded in.

5. Test it with water, make sure that water will get into the ink sac and be expelled when the sac end is squeezed again. Dry and shellac the outside of the ink sac so it'll adhere to the inside wall of the tube. Leave overnight.

6. Get the blind cap, thread it on the barrel as usual. Screw the barrel over the new ink sac filler and we are done.
    Last edited by penwash; February 15th, 2017 at 11:51 AM.
    - Will

Thanks

THANKS, Penwash! When we try it, pics will follow.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,712 Times in 1,610 Posts

They are your pens. Not sure why anyone would complain.

Thanks

THANKS, Penwash! When we try it, pics will follow.
    Great! feel free to email me at redeempens@gmail.com if you have follow up questions.
    - Will

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jar View Post
    They are your pens. Not sure why anyone would complain.
    Not complain, but there are those who don't like irreversible conversions, I just want to caution them.

I personally have no problem with irreversible conversions because it challenges me to think outside of the box.
    As long as it's done on pens that are not heirloom or super-rare or known to have historical significance.
    - Will

Thanks

A long time ago, Penwash posted some info on a Sheaffer's Tuckaway conversion from vac to bulb-filler. I thought it was a great idea, as we have accumulated a handful of Triumph-nib pens, and I really wanted to try it. This winter, we FINALLY got around to it, with a five-dollar beater that has a badly cracked cap, figuring what was there to lose....

Let's hear from 'Mr. Sailor,' who did most of the work:

"I removed the blind cap from the plunger rod and then removed the section from the barrel.

I cut the inner plastic cylinder (where the plunger rides) about in half, “discarding” the plunger-rod assembly.

I fit a sac (#17 or #18) that just fit inside the remaining cylinder, leaving about 1” of the sac outside of the cylinder (and 3/8” inside the cylinder) & tested it with water. I also verified that the barrel fit properly (making sure that the sac wasn’t too long).

I shellacked the sac in place & let it dry vertically, with the nib facing up (so shellac won’t drip into the feed).

I put a small amount of silicone grease on the threads that secure the barrel to the section (so it will be easy to open it up to refill the pen by squeezing the sac.)"

It writes well! Here's the disassembled pen, the finalized version, and some scribbles:

I'm now 'fixing' the cracked cap with...nail polish. So thanks, Penwash. This was fun.