Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Sheaffer Tuckaway Conversion

Thanks
    Thanked 10,367 Times in 3,978 Posts

Default Re: Sheaffer Tuckaway Conversion

Quote Originally Posted by Sailor Kenshin View Post
    A long time ago, Penwash posted some info on a Sheaffer's Tuckaway conversion from vac to bulb-filler. I thought it was a great idea, as we have accumulated a handful of Triumph-nib pens, and I really wanted to try it. This winter, we FINALLY got around to it, with a five-dollar beater that has a badly cracked cap, figuring what was there to lose....

Let's hear from 'Mr. Sailor,' who did most of the work:

"I removed the blind cap from the plunger rod and then removed the section from the barrel.

I cut the inner plastic cylinder (where the plunger rides) about in half, “discarding” the plunger-rod assembly.

I fit a sac (#17 or #18) that just fit inside the remaining cylinder, leaving about 1” of the sac outside of the cylinder (and 3/8” inside the cylinder) & tested it with water. I also verified that the barrel fit properly (making sure that the sac wasn’t too long).

I shellacked the sac in place & let it dry vertically, with the nib facing up (so shellac won’t drip into the feed).

I put a small amount of silicone grease on the threads that secure the barrel to the section (so it will be easy to open it up to refill the pen by squeezing the sac.)"

It writes well! Here's the disassembled pen, the finalized version, and some scribbles:

I'm now 'fixing' the cracked cap with...nail polish. So thanks, Penwash. This was fun.
    I love it. Thanks. In the past, I've successfully fixed a couple of cracked caps with 2 part epoxy resin...
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

Sailor Kenshin (January 22nd, 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,703 Times in 1,972 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sailor Kenshin View Post
    A long time ago, Penwash posted some info on a Sheaffer's Tuckaway conversion from vac to bulb-filler. I thought it was a great idea, as we have accumulated a handful of Triumph-nib pens, and I really wanted to try it. This winter, we FINALLY got around to it, with a five-dollar beater that has a badly cracked cap, figuring what was there to lose....

I'm now 'fixing' the cracked cap with...nail polish. So thanks, Penwash. This was fun.
    You are very welcome! Gosh, I still have the converted Tucky (actually two). And from time to time I had to lube the one I restored "properly", while the converted one just chugs along refill after refill.
    - Will
    Unique and restored vintage pens: Redeem Pens

4. The Following User Says Thank You to penwash For This Useful Post:

Sailor Kenshin (January 22nd, 2019)

Thanks

I stumbled across this thread last week, right after I had bought this old Tuckaway on Ebay for next to nothing. It arrived missing the entire touchdown system, so with this thread as inspiration, I simply shellac'd the sac in place and have been using it as a bulb filler, and it is great! Thanks so much for this idea!20190501_140559.jpg20190501_140608.jpg

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mikeleedill For This Useful Post:

azkid (May 1st, 2019), Sailor Kenshin (May 1st, 2019)

Thanks

Since this thread has been resurrected, I'll chime in.

1 - Golden Spade: That 1949 Tucky of yours, Sailor Kenshin, is a Statesman with what my friend Paul likes to call a Golden Spade. It's a nib the same size as the #6 nibs used in the Sheaffer Balance Premiers. I love the way it looks on a little Tuckaway. To my mind, though perfectly workable as you have it, that one is worth finding a Touchdown tube and sac protector.

2 - Cleaning: Harkening back to the origins of this thread, I restore Sheaffer Vacuum-fil pens so I'm about as purist as they come. Though I don't begrudge Will's ghetto solution to restoring his Vac with a sac.

What I do bristle at is the assertion that any sac filling pen is easier to clean than a vacuum filler. If the vac is properly restored, I believe the only easier pen to clean is an eye dropper that you can swab out. Fill and flush a good working vacuum-fil pen a few times with clear water and you're good to go. No endless cycling of a lever trying to get all the air bubbles out of the sac. Or worse, tilting and finagling the air out of bulb filler. Gah. Don't even get me started on cleaning a Vacumatic or a piston.

End rant. Back to your regularly scheduled distractions.

[edit: grammar]
    Last edited by controlsfreak; May 17th, 2019 at 01:58 PM.

Stacy Hills
    PaperWantsAPen

8. The Following User Says Thank You to controlsfreak For This Useful Post:

FredRydr (May 21st, 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,427 Times in 1,716 Posts

Mine cost $5, had a San Andreas Fault in the cap, and lots of brassing, so we thought, "Why not convert it?"
    My other pen is a Montblanc.

And my other blog is a tumblr!

And my latest ebook, for spooky wintery reading:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0CM2NGSSD

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Sailor Kenshin For This Useful Post:

FredRydr (May 21st, 2019)