Thread: Sheaffer Tuckaway Conversion

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,714 Times in 1,973 Posts

Default Sheaffer Tuckaway Conversion

I love them Tucky's

I love the Triumph nib, I love the size, I love the clip, and I just love the look of the pen.

The only one thing that I am not crazy about is the Vacuum filler system. Yes it's a cool mechanism, and yes, I have restored a few without accidents, but the vacuum filler system is way down there in my list of favorite filling systems. I guess I just don't like how it operates.

So I had an idea to convert a Tuckaway vacuum-filler into something that is simpler and easier to use. And this is what I ended up with:

A Sheaffer Tuckaway bulb-filler.

While the bulb contains a tad less ink than the transparent vacuum chamber (not the barrel), I think I can get very close by installing a breather tube.

Now, I'm sure some of you will say it's a sacrilege to do this conversion, but to me, I gain a much simpler way to fill the pen I love to use with ink, and along with it, I get all the functionality without having to buy special gaskets and seals. Only ink sac, shellac, silicon grease, which I already have invested in.

So let's see, how many of you think this is a good idea, and how many of you think this is not preferable than the vacuum-filler?
    - Will
    Unique and restored vintage pens: Redeem Pens

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to penwash For This Useful Post:

carlc (October 2nd, 2016), Chrissy (May 18th, 2019), Sailor Kenshin (October 5th, 2016)