Thread: Parker 51, setting hood to nib, (How much nib should be visable)

Thanks

Default Parker 51, setting hood to nib, (How much nib should be visable)

Hi all

Hopefuĺly a quick question

With aĺl the Parker 51's I have seen the hood is set so that only the tipping of the nib is visible, and on most after stripling the hood, nib, feed goes back fine with only the tipping showing. But on a few I have at the moment, although the feed is fully inserted as is the nib, once the hood is fully seated there is far too much nib visible, so this got me wondering if the hood should be fully seated to the clutch ring or was the hood originally set to the nib position and fixed in place by the thread sealant.

These are ones that have the o-ring so doing that can leave a small gap between the base off the hood and clutch ring.

Other than that is there any other obvious reason why the nib should stick out more after reassembly than before. As said the nib and feed are fully inserted in the collector.

Thanks for any help with this and sorry it went on a bit more than I hoped.

Paul

Thanks
    Thanked 6,390 Times in 2,505 Posts

Default Re: Parker 51, setting hood to nib, (How much nib should be visable)

Most nibs I've had and seen are set as you describe. One exception I own is this factory stub nib, which only flowed well when positioned as shown in the photo.

IMG_1894.jpg

Thanks
    Thanked 10,367 Times in 3,978 Posts

Mine were always sticking out a bit more than just the tipping, and they were all fine to write with. if the tipping is right at the point of the hood, then the point might rub on the Iridium and become damaged.
    I always aimed for a natural extension of the curve of the feed into the hood at the back
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

Thanks

Maybe the collector isn't fully seated.

--Daniel
    “Every discussion which is made from an egoistic standpoint is corrupted from the start and cannot yield an absolutely sure conclusion. The ego puts its own interest first and twists every argument, word, even fact to suit that interest.”
    ― Paul Brunton, The Notebooks of Paul Brunton

Thanks

Yes the collector is fully seated, I can see and feel it hit the bottom of its socket. Just looks to me like the hood is screwing on to far, which made me think it was screwed and then glued (sealed) to the nib position rather than than just screwed fully home worth the nib position adjusted to the hoods orientation.

Not had this issue before but the last 10 or so have all been like it.

They all work fine, it just looks odd with so much nib exposed.

Paul

Thanks
    Thanked 1,703 Times in 822 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Paul-H View Post
    Yes the collector is fully seated, I can see and feel it hit the bottom of its socket. Just looks to me like the hood is screwing on to far, which made me think it was screwed and then glued (sealed) to the nib position rather than than just screwed fully home worth the nib position adjusted to the hoods orientation.
    I have only ever had a Parker 21 apart once but I fixed the hood position to the nib.