Thread: Advice on re-tipping a MB 146

Thanks

Default Advice on re-tipping a MB 146

A couple of months ago I won a MB 146 on eBay (UK). I had corresponded with the seller and he had a good record. As it turned out, the pen failed to write well at first. I cleaned it, it wrote, but the nib was very scratchy. I took it into my local pen shop, who concluded that the nib was very worn (1980s model?), and under a loop I could see that it was worn nearly flat (unlike another 146 I have). Clearly the pen worked when held at the angle used by the previous owner, but this was not comfortable for me. I smoothed the edges with 0.05 micron paper, which helped a great deal to restore it to a usable level. It is now writing reasonably. However it has a broad, flat stroke - less "life" in it than my other 146, which is also a medium.

The pen shop quoted me $400 to replace the nib. I approached Mont Blanc. Their reply was : "A nib replacement is approximately $410 and a full service including ink flow adjustment would be an additional $175.00". Both the quote is crazy, and the second outrageous - that about the price of a new 146! Outside of the worn nib the pen is in first class condition.

I contacted Greg Minuskin as he has a good reputation. Greg's prices are a more reasonable $135 for retipping the nib. I am planning to have him do the work, however he has asked me to specify what needs to be done, and I do not understand enough to answer him. I am hoping that someone here can advise.

Greg wrote: "Yes, I do retip MB nibs to any size from .1mm to 1.80mm. I can also set the tines up for more wet writing" . He wrote in a second email, "Did you have a size, as requested below in my earlier email in .1mm increments, for the the medium retip?".

I assume that the dimensions refer to nib width. Yes/no? But what should I be specifying? Looking at some of my other pens I estimate that most are around 1.0mm at the tip. Will that do what I want? I did write back to Greg but he would not elaborate. I guess he wants me to take responsibility and not choose for me in case I am dissatisfied. Fair enough. Perhaps, however, the gallant forum can help me understand what I should be looking for. Here are some details ...

I use fountain pens all day long taking notes in my clinical psychology private practice, which involves lots of writing for records, interviews, etc. My handwriting is medium in size (definitely not small and, if anything, more on the larger size of medium). I need to write fast, so a smooth, flowing pen is essential, and medium size is actually faster than small. I do take some pleasure in the process (and a copperplate look is my private fun in this work environment), so changes in line thickness are appreciated.

I tend to write my notes on very basic white photocopy paper (because it is cheap). It is decent enough quality for day-to-day work.

One thought is a stub nib to replace the standard medium style as this offers line variation (the 146 nib cannot be adjusted for flex).

I look forward to any comments.

Regards from Perth, Australia

Derek

Thanks

This chart from John Mottishaw's site might help. It doesn't have MB, but a wide enough variety of other brands that you can get an idea of what you might want. I would go for a stub, because stubs are more fun.
    "What are moon-letters?" asked the hobbit full of excitement. He loved maps, as I have told you before; and he also loved runes and letters, and cunning handwriting, though when he wrote himself it was a bit thin and spidery.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,798 Times in 943 Posts

You might consider asking Mr. Minuskin if including a pen you like writing with might help. This way he has a physical pen to compare to and match.
    Fountain Pen Sith Lord | Daakusaido | Everything in one spot

Senior Member I like mango pudding's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Re: Advice on re-tipping a MB 146

The $400 quote is what I got too when I inquired at the MB dealer here. They told me that MB does not just replace the nib but the whole cartridge assembly, which is the bulk of the cost of the pen. Needless to say, one of my MB pens is now just spare parts.

Thanks

You should be able to buy a nib off of ebay or a dealer for around $100. Here is a bit more than you need, but to give you an idea of what is out there.

Thanks

When sending pens off to Greg, I've always found it useful to include a writing sample of the kind of line you're looking for on the kind of paper you're likely to use with the pen being worked on and with the ink you're likely to use. Include an estimate of the kind of flow you're looking for, on a scale of 1 to 10. Because of variations related to flow, ink, and paper, tipping measurements can only get you so far, at least in my experience.

Thanks

If you want a stub, you probably don't need a new nib, just to have the present one reground.

Greg want to know how wide the tip should be. If you want a stub with decent line variation, you need at least 1mm, preferably 1.2 or more.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,712 Times in 1,610 Posts

The flat tip may not be a sign of wear on the pen, despite what your shop claimed. Before I'd consider re-tipping I'd suggest that you get with one of the nib doctors, show them how you hold your pen, get them samples of writing as you like it and I bet for about $30.00 your problem gets solved.

Thanks

Are you sure the nib isn't a stub? I bought a MB 144 once from an ebay seller who apparently knew little, because his "medium nib" was a broad stub. Once I realized what I had I had some enjoyment from it. PICS. Post pics and maybe we will recognize what you have.