Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ignore List

Thanks

Default Ignore List

Some forum software has the ability to ignore threads and posts from particular users - does vBulletin?

There are some users, like Denizzz, who exist not to participate in the community, but only to spam the various Classifieds forums.

Is it possible to not see these?
    On the Hunt For:
    1) Atelier Simoni ID Demonstrator Natural Rhodium (As if it existed.)
    2) Moresi 2nd Limited Edition Delta Demonstrator
    3) y.y. Pen Club #4 and #10

2. The Following User Says Thank You to kenshiro For This Useful Post:

sharmon202 (October 6th, 2016)

close to geographical center of the nation
    Thanks

Default Re: Ignore List

Wow, I looked at her/his posts, it is all sales. I will join you. I really am tired of so much of this forum being sales.
    Sandy
    We don't know what we don't know

Thanks

There's a vBulletin setting to ignore users, but it just mutes the posts, not the threads they start, which means that 'What's New' is just a wall of spammy For Sale posts =(
    On the Hunt For:

5. The Following User Says Thank You to kenshiro For This Useful Post:

close to geographical center of the nation
    Thanks

How about a minimum number of posts requirement &/or length of time before allowing to sell? To FPN-ish? Or just a general embargo, peer pressure just don't buy?
    Last edited by sharmon202; October 6th, 2016 at 08:50 AM.
    Sandy
    We don't know what we don't know

Thanks
    Thanked 1,801 Times in 791 Posts

I see no problem with sales posts. If I don't want to see them I just skim over those posts. But sometimes I am pleasantly surprised.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,015 Times in 4,003 Posts

I had already posted a thread, a few weeks ago, regarding the increase in sales-only members and postings. Some don't mind it, I do.

Unfortunately, as already mentioned, the only Ignore function active on this board will create a list of users you wish to avoid, and it simply collapses their individual posts so that you don't see the content. You still see that they posted, and any new posts/threads will show up in the "What's New?" stream. There is no current way to ignore/block either at the thread or forum level. Current administration does not show any indication of getting involved in the day-to-day operation of the forum.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (October 6th, 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,685 Times in 1,969 Posts

I don't want to get into the "kettle calling pot 'cooking utensil, you!!'" because I also sell here at FPGeeks, but I had *a lot more* fun getting engaged, being educated, and sometimes help others in addition to selling.

So I do want to implore those who posted on the For Sale regularly, to also post something else around the forum.
    Try it, you may actually find it enriching, after all, pens are boring if all we think about is how to sell them.
    - Will
    Unique and restored vintage pens: Redeem Pens

Thanks
    Thanked 2,290 Times in 837 Posts

Yea the ignore forum hack would be nice to have as it would subside the ones who don't want to view certain forums.

I LOVE the sales forum. I am always looking for something new to try and get a good deal on. As well I like to be able to sell some of mine where I feel I know the majority of people and they have a track record.

I am not sure if it is a hack or option in the admin panel with vbulletin but it would be nice to have.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to earthdawn For This Useful Post:

StrongerLove (October 6th, 2016)

Thanks

Cool Re: Ignore List

Necessity is the mother of invention. For those so inclined, I've put together a GreaseMonkey/TamperMonkey script that mutes all search results and threads begun by users you choose.

Code:
    // ==UserScript==
    // @name         Hide annoying fpgeeks
    // @version      0.11
    // @description  Properly block irritating users on fpgeeks
    // @author       kenshiro
    // @require      http://ajax.googleapis.com/ajax/libs/jquery/1.6.2/jquery.min.js
    // @include      http://fpgeeks.com/*
    // @grant        none
    // ==/UserScript==

function addJQuery(callback) {
      var script = document.createElement("script");
      script.setAttribute("src", "//ajax.googleapis.com/ajax/libs/jquery/1/jquery.min.js");
      script.addEventListener('load', function() {
        var script = document.createElement("script");
        script.textContent = "window.jQ=jQuery.noConflict(true);(" + callback.toString() + ")();";
        document.body.appendChild(script);
      }, false);
      document.body.appendChild(script);
    }

function main() {
        var annoyingUsers = ['Denizzz'];
        for (var i = 0; i < annoyingUsers.length; i++) {
            jQ("li.imodselector")
                .show()
                .has("span.label:contains("+annoyingUsers[i]+")")
                .hide();
            jQ("li.threadbit")
                .show()
                .has("span.label:contains("+annoyingUsers[i]+")")
                .hide();
        }
    }

// load jQuery and execute the main function
    addJQuery(main);
    Before:
    Forum
    Search

After:
    Forum
    Search

Please do not use this script if you don't know what you're doing! I'm happy to provide some light assistance if there's enough interest, but this is mainly to defuse my own irritation. Cheers!
    Last edited by kenshiro; October 6th, 2016 at 01:26 PM. Reason: Optimized script
    On the Hunt For:

Thanks

Don't get me wrong, I think buying and selling is critical to any community site, because it keeps things moving around and helps people to experience more of the things they enjoy. It's just that some people don't participate, and also spam dozens of threads at once, knocking everyone else off the front page. The other FP site has the same problem in their classifieds. I think people who are not genuinely part of the community shouldn't be given the privilege of merely using said community as a pool of buyers.
    On the Hunt For:

15. The Following User Says Thank You to kenshiro For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,801 Times in 791 Posts

I would propose we all take a deep breath and practice a bit more tolerance for diversity. Any community is, by definition, a collection of different individuals. In a forum like this one some people will read posts but never write anything. Others may write posts and we can agree or disagree with their opinions. Some sell a few pens and other sell a lot. All members deserve my respect.

Any comparison to the FPN-Claudio fiasco is exagerated. That guy spammed the classifieds for one year selling a 100+ pen collection but listing each pen individualy.... Over and over again.

On the other hand we have a member that puts up for sale a lot of pens. Is that wrong? Is it offensive in any way? I don't think so. Maybe he doesn't "contribute" by writing a lot but his "contribution" could well be offering pens at good prices that other members couldn't afford otherwise. I just read a post in another thread from a FPG member thanking him for selling a pen at an affordable price.

Setting up rules like 30+ posts before selling any pens is an exercise in futility. I once witnessed a new guy in FPN posting 30+ posts welcoming other new members so that he could meet his quota and post his pen for sale.

In any forum where there is liberty to post you will like some posts and dislike others. Thats the way the cookie crumbles.

BTW I have never bought a pen from this FPG member and I do not know who he is.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to carlos.q For This Useful Post:

migo984 (October 6th, 2016)

Thanks

My tolerance for others is manifest in my support of as little moderation as is possible, and a wide variety of viewpoints. That said, I come to this forum to engage in pen discussions. I don't come here for sales, and when the number of new sales threads significantly outweighs the other topics, as it has become common, it very much degrades my enjoyment of the forum.

Frankly, over the last few years, the sales were primarily done by people who actually inhabited and took part in the FPG forums. These days there has been a large influx of people who do nothing but post sales. I don't want to see that stuff. If I want sales, I'll go to a sales area, but with so much commerce being forced down our throats every waking moment of every day, I've pretty much reached my limit.

What I'm looking for is a way to make all parties happy. The ability for people like myself to not see or be bothered by all the intrusive sales posts, while letting them be visible to those who want to see them, would keep everyone happy, and would be a nice way to solve the dilemma. As it stands now, there is a certain segment of the populace that is unhappy, and I can assure you that we've lost members because of the increase in the commercial aspect of the site. That sucks.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

Thanks

If I were building a forum from scratch, I'd probably tie the number of For Sale posts you're allowed to the number of thanks you've received. That seems like it would increase proportionally to actual participation on the site.
    On the Hunt For:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kenshiro View Post
    If I were building a forum from scratch, I'd probably tie the number of For Sale posts you're allowed to the number of thanks you've received. That seems like it would increase proportionally to actual participation on the site.
    I think one needs to be careful in this area. The people who contribute do so in various ways, and some are simply more convivial and easy-going, and some might be a bit reticent or just brief in their posts. The latter can be perfectly fine members of a group, but might not elicit the kind of "warm fuzzies" that often cause people to punch the "Thanks" button. I'd hate for the metric to be a popularity contest.

I'm not saying I have the perfect answer, mind you, I'd just like it if there was a bit of a curb on the "I'm only here to post sales" crowds. And I completely admit that there is currently nothing that says or implies they shouldn't do that - they are currently well within their rights.

~ Benjamin Franklin

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post
    I'm not saying I have the perfect answer, mind you, I'd just like it if there was a bit of a curb on the "I'm only here to post sales" crowds. And I completely admit that there is currently nothing that says or implies they shouldn't do that - they are currently well within their rights.
    Indeed, they are within their rights. And like a noisy neighbor on a plane or public bus, it's much easier to use something to mute the noise than to get them to change their behavior. Hence, the script above.
    On the Hunt For:

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kenshiro For This Useful Post:

Jon Szanto (October 6th, 2016), sharmon202 (October 6th, 2016)

Thanks

I would like to suggest that we may approach admin and ask whether it is possible to separate the sales into a separate thread whichis separate from the main forum. This way trying to find what I am interested in, which is new threads in, inks, reviews and the fabulous thread on drawing would be so much more enjoyable. I sometimes look at sales, but rarely and therefore if sales were separate I would appreciate this very much.
    Cheers Vera

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pelikan-Vera For This Useful Post:

ethernautrix (October 6th, 2016), sharmon202 (October 6th, 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,379 Times in 2,500 Posts

Will adding a name to a Geeks ignore list block their private messages? I have a creepy stalker from FPN and FPG I'd like to sell if anyone wants one. I suspect he drinks.

Thanks
    Thanked 10,336 Times in 3,966 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by FredRydr View Post
    Will adding a name to a Geeks ignore list block their private messages? I have a creepy stalker from FPN and FPG I'd like to sell if anyone wants one. I suspect he drinks.
    It definitely does on FPN, I think it's one of the options you can check. I believe it does on FPG too.

Thanks

Never bothers me, I quite like looking at the pictures.

Thanks
    Thanked 10,336 Times in 3,966 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RocketRyan View Post
    Never bothers me, I quite like looking at the pictures.
    I see what you mean there, but the ignore feature at least gives you a choice. You see that there is an ignored post in the thread, and if you think it might be one that's worth seeing, or someone else quotes it, you can always click to see it.