Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hello from Chicago! :)

Thanks

Thanks for the welcome, Greg!

I wonder if I've got a name for my pink Lamy Safari after all. As folks can see, I've been naming pens after characters from my favorite movies, books, TV shows or musicals. I haven't mixed together names of characters yet, but maybe it's time to do that with the pink one. Perhaps my pen can be called "G(a)linda E. Woods"? Or...Glinda's full name, in "Wicked," is: "Glinda Arduenna of the Uplands." Surely there's gotta be room to shove "Elle Woods" somewhere in there. :P

Thanks

Leeloo Dallas Multipass has put a smile on my face love that film!

Hello, from a fellow noobie!

Sent from my mobile box with lots of transistors inside using Tapatalk 2

Thanks

Hi there, Tony! Thanks to me for the welcome!

Thanks

A late welcome Theresa.. Have to say I like that you named your pens Made me think of names for mine.. We'll see how it goes eventually
    ✖ Ilan Gai ✒ An Addict ✖

Thanks

Hi, ilangai! Thanks for the welcome

Well...it's never too late to name your pens, right? And it's so odd, too...fountain pens are the only inanimate objects I'd name. I've heard of other gadget geeks naming their iDevices--their iPods, iPhones or iPads. That kind of thing never appealed to me before, but fountain pens are different to me for some reason. Maybe it's a sign that I think fountain pens are truly special, as far as gadgets go. (I do happen to consider fountain pens to be gadgets. Other pens are just pens, but fountain pens are gadgets to me.)

Thanks

Greetings and Salutations, RoX! It's good to see you here also at the forum!
    Welcome aboard!!!
    Last edited by vhr5; February 24th, 2013 at 09:08 PM.
    "People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but *actually* from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff." - Doctor Who

Thanks

Thanks for the welcome

Thanks

Good morning, folks!

Not sure if this would be the right place to put this, but as of last night, I have one more pen to add to my growing list o' pens. I call him: John Smith. Here he is. (And included in this pic is my pen case. Zipped up and closed, it looks like an eyeglass case. Unzip it, stand it up and fold down the top half, and you have a soft pen jar.)

85a27ee936c75b0eae60b6a0994c1b4a.jpg

I call this pen "John Smith" because this blue Vac 700 reminds me of this guy:

a6ec35704479a2cbb55f7ec577ef551c.jpg

I may not have a sonic screwdriver or be able to travel through all of time and space in a little blue police box, but a having this Vac 700 isn't so bad, either. :P

I would've wanted to fill John with Baystate Blue. Not so sure about whether I should do that with this pen, though, because it's the most expensive pen I own and even though it's already blue, well...I still wouldn't want to somehow ruin it. So I'm planning on filling John up with Noodler's Eel Blue instead. I think it's fitting that a blue pen named "John Smith" (or otherwise calls himself "The Doctor") should have blue ink in it.
    Last edited by TheRoXFiles; February 27th, 2013 at 08:45 AM.

Thanks

Ooooh a new cast member added to your collection. Let us know how you enjoy playing with John Smith. My blue TWSBI is the 540 but I'm hoping to get the Vac sometime in clear.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,798 Times in 943 Posts

Nice. I think I am going to hold out for the Vac mini. :P
    Fountain Pen Sith Lord | Daakusaido | Everything in one spot

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KrazyIvan View Post
    Nice. I think I am going to hold out for the Vac mini. :P
    Oooooh...if I had a Vac Mini, then John Smith would have a companion! I wonder what I'd name her...Rose Tyler? Donna Noble? Martha Jones? They were all such great companions. Or...darn...what was the name of that one lady he fell in love with in the "Family of Blood" 2-part episode where The Doctor used the Chameleon Arch to make himself look human and wipe out his Time-Lord memories...? Oooooh...or maybe I'd even call her "River Song," or "Melody Pond." And the very first words I'd write with that pen would be: Hello, sweetie.

I know I wouldn't name her Amy (or Amelia) Pond, although I'm fond of the name. I'd be tempted to make the companion a "he" and name him Rory Williams because I thought he was all right. Or...what was Rory's dad's name? All I know about him is that the guy who played him was Mr. Weasley in the Harry Potter movies.

I have to say, too...if I didn't name this pen "John Smith"/"The Doctor," then I'd most likely name it "Bleu," after the character in the latest book I'm reading, "Sacre Bleu" by Christopher Moore. Bleu is cool, as far as characters go in Christopher Moore's books. But no...I was really keen on wanting to do a nod to Doctor Who--and the Tenth Doctor, who is "my" Doctor. My favorite Doctor.

Thanks

Might as well add this here...

I do have one more fountain pen to add to my growing collection. It cost me all of $4.49 at Walgreens--and maybe this is enough to give away what this pen is. But here's a picture:

ac0e61652662e90d5a3717bcfa000837.jpg

This is the Zebra V-301 FP fountain pen. I don't think I've ever seen fountain pens for sale at Walgreens before...or any drugstore or supermarket in my neighborhood, come to think of it...so I shrugged and bought it.

After I got it home, I did some sleuthing online to see what this pen was all about. Good thing, too--because it seems this isn't such a great pen, judging from all the reviews I've seen for it. And I'd agree--I think this is the first pen I've bought that I'm not wild about. On the one hand, what was I expecting for $4.49 at Walgreens, although there are pens that cheap that have smoother nibs, for instance? On the other hand, well...I'm glad this wasn't my first fountain pen. I think that if I hadn't done the sleuthing, I wouldn't have known that this pen's got issues and it seems that it writes better if you replace the ink in the included cartridges with your own ink. I wouldn't have been experienced enough to know I could use one of my ink syringes to take the ink out of the original cartridges and replace it with something better. I think this pen would leave a very bad taste in my mouth if it was my very first fountain pen and I tried using it right away, right out of the blister packaging without prepping it first because I wouldn't have known any better...and what a shame, too.

Anyway--of course, I have to give this pen a name. I haven't decided which of these two names I want to call it:

1) Oscar the Grouch
    2) Buster (named after "Buster" the crash-test dummy from "Mythbusters")

...I have no idea why I'd want to call this pen "Oscar the Grouch," but it was the first thing that came to mind. And the fact that I don't know why I'd give this pen this particular name cracks me up. XD Truth be told, I don't think this pen is particularly grouchy. It's just a pen. Maybe it's the metal outside that makes me think of Oscar's trash can. I dunno. But I think it'd be a funny name to give this pen.

Meanwhile, I think "Buster" describes what I intend to do with this pen. It'll be my crash-test dummy of sorts with sampling inks. Or I'll use Baystate Blue in there. I don't care what Baystate Blue would do, if anything, to a $4.49 pen.

So...which name should I give this pen? Any ideas?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by TheRoXFiles; March 2nd, 2013 at 08:26 AM.
    Hey, I just met you, and this is crazy...but here's my letter. So write me, maybe?

If you're an InCo pen pal, please PM me first if you'd like to write to me. Thanks!

Thanks

Are you sure you don't want to call it Calvin (from Calvin and Hobbes)?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by caribbean_skye View Post
    Are you sure you don't want to call it Calvin (from Calvin and Hobbes)?
    Hmmm! That's an idea Or...I'm not sure why "Kramer" (from "Seinfeld") came to mind just now, too, but maybe I'll throw that into the ring too. I'm not sure if this pen is a "Kramer," though. It's cheap but not odd. It doesn't burst into rooms and say "Hey, buddy!" It doesn't live in an apartment with chicken wire on the windows. It hasn't invented a giant ball of oil (for oil spills...) and it doesn't work for or own Kramerica Industries.

Then again--this pen isn't six-years-old (I don't think) and doesn't own a stuffed tiger. Nor does it live in a trash can and have an elephant as a pet. Nor does it get blown up by a couple of crazy guys in the special effects community out in Hollywood.

I think I just made things a little more complicated for myself and my choice of pen name. XD
    Hey, I just met you, and this is crazy...but here's my letter. So write me, maybe?

If you're an InCo pen pal, please PM me first if you'd like to write to me. Thanks!