Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hello from Chicago! :)

Thanks

Default Hello from Chicago! :)

Heya, folks!

I'm Theresa. I've mostly been lurking here, but I thought today would be a good day to jump in and say hello.

I'm pretty new to fountain pens. I've been using them for about two months now, more or less. But I love the pens I've got so far. I love 'em so much that I've given each one a name. (Sometimes two names, mostly because I haven't decided which name to settle on.) Here are the pens I've got:

--a Lamy Vista with a medium nib (aka: "Sheldon" from "Big Bang Theory." Actually, his whole name should be: Sheldon Lee "Shelly" Cooper, B.S., M.S., M.A., Ph.D., Sc.D., but who's counting? :P)
    --a green Lamy Safari with a fine nib (aka: "Elphaba" from the book/musical "Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West")
    --a pink Lamy Safari with a medium nib (aka: either "G(a)linda" from "Wicked" or "Elle Woods" from "Legally Blonde: The Musical"...still haven't decided which name to pick yet)
    --a black Pilot Metropolitan with zig-zag trim (aka @SeverusSSnape, after my favorite fictional character at Twitter)
    --a clear TWSBI Mini with a fine nib (aka: "Leeloo Dallas Multipass" from "The Fifth Element")
    --a blue TWSBI Vac 700 with a medium nib (aka: "John Smith," aka "The Doctor" from "Doctor Who")
    --a Zebra V-301 FP fountain pen (aka: "Oscar the Grouch" from "Sesame Street" Gotswana from "Book of Mormon")
    --a clear TWSBI Diamond 580 with a 1.1 mm stub nib...baby's first stub nib (aka: "Clara Oswin Oswald," aka "Soufflé Girl," from "Doctor Who")

Out of these, I'm liking Leeloo the best so far. Leeloo's been my go-to pen at work. I've got her filled with Noodler's Black, and the fine nib is great for writing the really tiny spaces on the forms I have to fill out at the office.

I've been participating in InCoWriMo, and the pen I've chosen to use for my letters is @SeverusSSnape, coupled with Noodler's Ottoman Rose. (I suspect that if @SeverusSSnape ever found out, he wouldn't be happy, to say the least. :P)

I'm glad to be here, and I hope to get to know more folks here and learn a lot about fountain pens
    Last edited by TheRoXFiles; March 28th, 2013 at 08:41 AM. Reason: adding some new pen friends to my list... :)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,570 Times in 669 Posts

Welcome, welcome!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,222 Times in 598 Posts

Welcome!
    Will
    If my p.m box is full, feel free to email me at dabantur@gmail.com.

Thanks

Heya, folks! Thanks for the welcome. Glad to be here

Thanks

Hello nice pen collection!

Thanks

Thanks, Toffer!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,081 Times in 555 Posts

had to manually unfurrow my brows just then.

Thanks

Welcome welcome.

I'm digging the names but I'd probably pick Elle Woods over Galinda (but I also haven't seen/read Wicked) for the pink Lamy Safari.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,297 Times in 543 Posts

Welcome to Geekland! A most intriguing introduction!

Thanks

Pardon me?

Thanks

Thanks for the welcome, folks! And as for this...

Quote Originally Posted by caribbean_skye View Post
    I'm digging the names but I'd probably pick Elle Woods over Galinda (but I also haven't seen/read Wicked) for the pink Lamy Safari.
    ...well, I like the name "G(a)linda" because I like "Wicked." Not so fond of "Glinda" as a character, but I figure that if I have one pen named Elphaba, then perhaps the other one has to be named "G(a)linda"? (For my pen's name, I like keeping the name as "G(a)linda" because in "Wicked," she starts out as "Galinda," then changes it to "Glinda" later, to honor a professor at her school who was murdered.) But Elle Woods is awesome, too. If I remember right, she passed the LSAT with flying colors in both the movie and the musical...though in the musical, she just barely slides by. She passes that exam, although her undergrad major was "fashion merchandising." And personally, I think the musical does a better job of showing Elle working hard and eventually becoming the valedictorian for her class. I think it also showed that Elle was smart all along...it's just that at the beginning of the musical, her world was a lot smaller and less complex. It took Elle some doing to roll with the punches at Harvard, but she rose to the challenge and even got to propose to her man, Emmett, at the very end.

Maybe I'll be able to decide on a name when I actually get around to using this pen. I've at least flushed it out, so it's ready to get inked up. Then again...maybe there's room for both somehow. If I remember right, actresses who have portrayed Glinda in "Wicked" have also played Elle in "Legally Blonde"? So it's like they're two sides of the same coin. I'll have to see.

Thanks

Okay, now I'm going to have to not only bump Wicked up on my reading list but also have to check out the musical. I didn't even realise they made Legally Blonde into a musical. Will add that to my list too.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by caribbean_skye View Post
    Okay, now I'm going to have to not only bump Wicked up on my reading list but also have to check out the musical. I didn't even realise they made Legally Blonde into a musical. Will add that to my list too.
    Yep! Personally, I suggest checking out the book first. It's by Gregory Maguire. One thing I don't like about the musical is that it oversimplified the book. I understand that the entire book would be really long (and not possible, practical or feasible) to pull off on a stage, but still... :/

As for Legally Blonde? Here is the musical...it aired on MTV a LOT when it first came out: http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xjkscx9Osmw

Laura Bell Bundy, who was the first actress to play Elle in the musical, was also Glinda. I can't remember if she was Kristin Chenoweth's understudy, maybe...?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,798 Times in 943 Posts

It looks like you are off to a good start. Welcome to the Dark Side.
    Fountain Pen Sith Lord | Daakusaido | Everything in one spot

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KrazyIvan View Post
    It looks like you are off to a good start. Welcome to the Dark Side.
    Thanks, KrazyIvan! Glad to be here

Thanks
    Thanked 1,764 Times in 808 Posts

A belated hi TheRoXFiles and welcome to the FPG forum.

All those Lamys and a pen named "Leeloo Dallas Multipass" from "The Fifth Element" (for some reason that made me think of a white & orange mechanical pencil I have).
    sinistral hypergraphica - a slurry of ink
    "Nothing means less than zero"

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogon07 View Post
    A belated hi TheRoXFiles and welcome to the FPG forum.

All those Lamys and a pen named "Leeloo Dallas Multipass" from "The Fifth Element" (for some reason that made me think of a white & orange mechanical pencil I have).
    Hehe...well, I've got a soft spot in my heart for the Vista/Safari/Al-Star pens from Lamy. Sheldon was my first pen and he's served me well. And then I just had to have that Elphaba-green pen. And the G(a)linda pink pen. :P

As for why I call the TWSBI Mini "Leeloo Dallas Multipass"...well, at first, I was thinking of naming it after something small. For instance, I love Boo the dog, and "Boo" was a name I was considering for my pen. And in "Wicked," there's a Munchkinlander named Boq, so I was considering that too. And then I was thinking...well, this would be easier if I had a TWSBI Diamond 540. If I had one of those, then the TWSBI Mini could be called "Mini Me" and the Diamond 540 could be "Dr. Evil." And then, out of nowhere, "Leeloo Dallas Multipass" popped into my head, and I decided that would be my pen's name. I figured that if I couldn't think of how to name my pen after something (or someone) small, then I'd give it the longest name I could think of off the top of my head.

Besides...this is one of my favorite parts from "The Fifth Element": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eV_eGm1qgGs

Moooolllteeeeepass...! :P
    Last edited by TheRoXFiles; February 19th, 2013 at 08:49 PM. Reason: Mooooooolllteeeeepass....

Thanks

Greetings and welcome to FPGeeks.

Thanks

Hi, southpaw52! Thanks for the welcome

Thanks

Welcome! You will find the folks here at the FP Geeks really a great place to be, and if you need any nib work, I would love to hear from you!

Greg Minuskin
    www.gregminuskin.com
    greg@gregminuskin.com