Thread: Sold Listings in Classifieds and Pricing

Thanks
    Thanked 1,222 Times in 598 Posts

Default Sold Listings in Classifieds and Pricing

I have NEVER understood this: why do some remove the prices from their listings entirely once the item has sold? Wouldn't it be nice to have a record of these things? This doesn't seem to be much of a problem here anymore, looking back through the most recent pages, but it was at one point. What was the justification back when this was the norm? Any explanation would help.

Thanks!
    Will
    If my p.m box is full, feel free to email me at dabantur@gmail.com.

Somewhere in the hills of eastern Washington
    Thanks

Default Re: Sold Listings in Classifieds and Pricing

They usually replace the price with sold to more clearly show that the item is no longer available. I have received messages asking for an item after it was marked as sold.
    "Love is the final fight."

Thanks
    Thanked 10,502 Times in 4,015 Posts

Marking items as Sold makes a lot of sense, but does it mean you can't mention the item price somewhere in the Ad, so that we can see what it went for?

Thanks

In my experience, people intentionally remove these prices to obfuscate the market price for things, which is a disservice. It would be easy enough to just strikethrough and leave the price, but instead people remove them, hoping to get more next time.
    On the Hunt For:
    1) Atelier Simoni ID Demonstrator Natural Rhodium (As if it existed.)
    2) Moresi 2nd Limited Edition Delta Demonstrator
    3) y.y. Pen Club #4 and #10

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kenshiro For This Useful Post:

Aristosseur (October 11th, 2016), Jon Szanto (October 11th, 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,222 Times in 598 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kenshiro View Post
    In my experience, people intentionally remove these prices to obfuscate the market price for things, which is a disservice. It would be easy enough to just strikethrough and leave the price, but instead people remove them, hoping to get more next time.
    That's a bold charge--I've considered it, but what evidence have you actually seen of it taking place?
    Will
    If my p.m box is full, feel free to email me at dabantur@gmail.com.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fountainpenkid View Post
    That's a bold charge--I've considered it, but what evidence have you actually seen of it taking place?
    A decade in finance and side conversations with people doing the same thing on forums dealing with cigars, wine, whiskey, timepieces, and fountain pens. Market opacity always sides with sellers looking for fish who don't know where the market is, hence the importance of market makers in e.g. securities.

You can see this difference in prices of fountain pen rarities sold on the boards/ebay vs. at auction at Bonhams, Christie's or Sotheby's where people have the wherewithal to do more market research. Case in point - the boards and ebay are asking for around $2-3000 for a Caran d'Ache La Modernista; I picked mine up for the more accurate price of $900. Sellers can get away with this for these types of items because they're small and so carrying cost is virtually nil.
    On the Hunt For:
    1) Atelier Simoni ID Demonstrator Natural Rhodium (As if it existed.)
    2) Moresi 2nd Limited Edition Delta Demonstrator
    3) y.y. Pen Club #4 and #10

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kenshiro For This Useful Post:

fountainpenkid (October 11th, 2016), Jon Szanto (October 11th, 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,075 Times in 4,023 Posts

Not to mention the prevalence of people saying that a particular item is "selling for such-and-such on eBay", only looking at listing prices and never doing a search on "Sold" listings, which shows the true market trends. I have no doubt that sellers would remove a price so someone couldn't say "but you just sold is for *that* much", etc. It is in the seller's interest to keep people in the dark as to general price trends to make as much off of a sale as possible.

The fact of the matter is: what other reason would there be for a seller to remove the sale price after completion?
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

gregamckinney

I agree with kenshiro, which is why, as a more frequent buyer than seller, I DO leave the selling price on my FS listings when the sale is complete. I WANT to preserve the record of sale prices. I WANT to help future buyers (myself included.)
    I don't say that obfuscation and malicious intent is _always_ the reason for removing the closing price, but I do believe it is a frequent motivation.
    Best Regards, greg

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gregamckinney For This Useful Post:

fountainpenkid (October 11th, 2016), Jon Szanto (October 11th, 2016)