very nice 45's!
    thanks for showing.
    c.

ps. nice pen trays as well, what is it?

close to geographical center of the nation
    Thanks

Default Re: mini collections...

Quote Originally Posted by christof View Post
    On fountainpenboard, there is a funny thread were members show pictures of small selections of their collections. It's called: "mini collections". I really like this thread and wish to start a similar one on FPG because...

I love to collect small selections of matching pens, building kind of a mini collection. Sometimes I first write a list, sometimes I have a picture in mind which I sketch quickly instead of written notes.

In march this year, I started with three pens and this sketch:

Seven months (and $xxxx.xx) later, the mini collection is complete:

C.
    Congrats on your achievement, beautiful
    Sandy
    We don't know what we don't know

3. The Following User Says Thank You to sharmon202 For This Useful Post:

VertOlive (January 12th, 2017)

close to geographical center of the nation
    Thanks

Not much of one for collections, basically have 2, all the Kaweco Art Sport Gen 2 which I think I have previously posted. New Lamy LX 4 colors in EF, F M, B (waiting on B). By the way, this Anderson pen pen shine cloth I put pens on for picture is the best!!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Sandy
    We don't know what we don't know

5. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to sharmon202 For This Useful Post:

akapulko2020 (December 24th, 2016), christof (October 21st, 2016), da vinci (October 23rd, 2016), Lady Onogaro (October 20th, 2016), migo984 (October 21st, 2016), VertOlive (January 12th, 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,685 Times in 1,969 Posts

This thread is so inspiring.
    I think collection is about focus, something that does not come naturally to me.

Here's my feeble attempt, my mini collection of Sheaffer pens:

- Will
    Unique and restored vintage pens: Redeem Pens

7. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to penwash For This Useful Post:

amk (October 21st, 2016), christof (October 21st, 2016), Cyril (June 13th, 2023), da vinci (October 23rd, 2016), JackdeSpadas (November 12th, 2016), Lady Onogaro (October 20th, 2016), Red Harry N. G. (October 21st, 2016), Sailor Kenshin (December 23rd, 2016)

gregamckinney

Still need a nice Nacre and a better Onyx for this mini-collection, but am pretty pleased with it:

Best Regards, greg

9. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to gregamckinney For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

akapulko2020 (December 24th, 2016), amk (October 21st, 2016), caribbean_skye (October 21st, 2016), christof (October 21st, 2016), da vinci (October 23rd, 2016), ethernautrix (October 31st, 2016), Jon Szanto (October 20th, 2016), Lady Onogaro (October 20th, 2016), penwash (October 20th, 2016), pica pica (January 13th, 2017), Red Harry N. G. (October 21st, 2016), Replicant (April 9th, 2018), soot (January 8th, 2017), VertOlive (January 12th, 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,015 Times in 4,003 Posts

I have a smattering of clusters, but the only thing that comes close to a mini-collection would be my fascination with Moore pens from (appr) the 1940s, when they had some lovely materials (and nibs that are are top-notch). There are a couple of their Belmont sub-brand included. It's a pretty good-sized pic, so if you open in a new tab/window you can zoom on some of the nice celluloids. (P.S. I need a dedicated photo setup. Still!)

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

11. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

akapulko2020 (December 24th, 2016), amk (October 21st, 2016), christof (October 21st, 2016), Cyril (June 13th, 2023), da vinci (October 23rd, 2016), ethernautrix (October 31st, 2016), JapaG (April 23rd, 2017), Lady Onogaro (October 20th, 2016), penwash (October 20th, 2016), Red Harry N. G. (October 21st, 2016), Replicant (April 9th, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,578 Times in 943 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post
    I have a smattering of clusters, but the only thing that comes close to a mini-collection would be my fascination with Moore pens from (appr) the 1940s, when they had some lovely materials (and nibs that are are top-notch). There are a couple of their Belmont sub-brand included. It's a pretty good-sized pic, so if you open in a new tab/window you can zoom on some of the nice celluloids. (P.S. I need a dedicated photo setup. Still!)

Oh, pretty! I have some Diamond Points that feature some of these celluloids (as you know). It's nothing like a collection, though. Just four or five interesting ones that I could afford at the time.
    Lady Onogaro

"Be yourself--everybody else is already taken." --Oscar Wilde

Thanks
    Thanked 1,578 Times in 943 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by migo984 View Post

A mini collection of P45s. Nothing swanky, rare or valuable, but they're a lot of fun.

Attachment 27732
    I think we have the same collection, Migo!
    Lady Onogaro

"Be yourself--everybody else is already taken." --Oscar Wilde

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Lady Onogaro For This Useful Post:

migo984 (October 21st, 2016)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Onogaro View Post
    Oh, pretty! I have some Diamond Points that feature some of these celluloids (as you know). It's nothing like a collection, though. Just four or five interesting ones that I could afford at the time.
    Indeed, those are lovely pens. I have to say, the majority of the pens I showed were gotten for very low amounts. It is only in the last couple of years that more people (hehe) have been hunting for Moores, and it is sad how the prices have gone up for some very doggy pens. My days, except for occasional sumgais, are probably about done on this series.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks
    Thanked 7,777 Times in 1,422 Posts

Thanks to all for showing your pictures. This will become a nice thread.

Jon, your Moore collection is fantastic. I specially like the one with symetric bands. I have never seen something similar.

C.
    Last edited by christof; October 21st, 2016 at 01:20 PM.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to christof For This Useful Post:

Jon Szanto (October 21st, 2016)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gregamckinney View Post
    Greg
    This is a great pen tray and a fantastic collection. thanks for showing us.
    C.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to christof For This Useful Post:

Cyril (June 13th, 2023)

Thanks

(P.S. I need a dedicated photo setup. Still!)
    Jon
    I will post some advice and some informations about my photo setup here soon.
    c.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by penwash View Post
    This thread is so inspiring.
    I think collection is about focus, something that does not come naturally to me.
    Here's my feeble attempt, my mini collection of Sheaffer pens:
    Thank you penwash. Sheaffer is a cool brand. definitely!
    c.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to christof For This Useful Post:

penwash (October 21st, 2016)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by christof View Post
    (P.S. I need a dedicated photo setup. Still!)
    Jon
    I will post some advice and some informations about my photo setup here soon.
    c.
    All information is welcome. My biggest problem is simply not having any area where I can keep something set up. Every time I want to take the most basic of photos I have to drag the stuff out, set it up in some area (like the middle of the living room) and take it down. Not fun, and I take fewer pics because of it. Someday I'll have a clear space...

~ Benjamin Franklin

gregamckinney

BEEEEAUTIFUL! Jon!

Do you ink the white Belmont? It's a looker, but I think the ones with the pattern that looks sort of like chain links are my favorites.

Best Regards, greg

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gregamckinney View Post
    BEEEEAUTIFUL! Jon!

Do you ink the white Belmont? It's a looker, but I think the ones with the pattern that looks sort of like chain links are my favorites.

Best Regards, greg
    Thanks, Greg, that means a lot coming from you! I've only inked a couple (hardiest models), but I think only one (the stickered) weren't used... quite a bit. The white one just came to me a couple months ago, and it has seen better days. I've not done any restoration, as I don't want to make it 'worse', but the celluloid is pretty discolored. At some point I'll try disassembling it, but I'm leery of doing something like pulling the inner cap, since you can't find these pens very often.

~ Benjamin Franklin

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

Cyril (June 13th, 2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,379 Times in 2,500 Posts

Here is my Ray celluloid mini-collection. It started with the Waterman Ink-Vue, but I really wanted to find other pen manufacturers that used the same celluloid. Kaweco, Montblanc, Radius, Universal, Zemax, Soennecken, Waterman and several other brands are in the drawer, and I am always looking for others. Most are restored while others await attention. (The pen on the left isn't Ray celluloid.)

Sorry about the photo quality. The drawer is above eye level, and I held my iPhone above the drawer and guessed the shot!

Fred

IMG_6153.jpg
    Last edited by FredRydr; October 22nd, 2016 at 07:36 AM.

28. The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to FredRydr For This Useful Post:

akapulko2020 (December 24th, 2016), amk (October 22nd, 2016), christof (October 22nd, 2016), Cyril (June 13th, 2023), da vinci (October 23rd, 2016), ethernautrix (October 31st, 2016), fountainpenkid (November 2nd, 2016), JapaG (April 23rd, 2017), jmccarty3 (January 13th, 2017), Jon Szanto (October 22nd, 2016), Lady Onogaro (October 22nd, 2016), penwash (October 22nd, 2016), pica pica (January 13th, 2017), popcod (November 2nd, 2016), Red Harry N. G. (October 24th, 2016)

Thanks

Not bad Fred. Not bad at all!!
    c.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,685 Times in 1,969 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by FredRydr View Post
    Here is my Ray celluloid mini-collection. It started with the Waterman Ink-Vue, but I really wanted to find other pen manufacturers that used the same celluloid. Kaweco, Montblanc, Radius, Universal, Zemax, Soennecken, Waterman and several other brands are in the drawer, and I am always looking for others. Most are restored while others await attention. (The pen on the left isn't Ray celluloid.)

Sorry about the photo quality. The drawer is above eye level, and I held my iPhone above the drawer and guessed the shot!

Fred
    Fred, that is fascinating. What makes it recognizable as "Ray" celluloid? Is it only the chevron-like pattern or something else I don't see in the picture? I see a lot of celluloid patterns but I don't remember seeing this particular one.
    - Will
    Unique and restored vintage pens: Redeem Pens

Thanks

Wow! Someone else has a thing for ray celluloid! That's an enjoyable collection. Mine includes Osmia, Stylochap, and Waterman but it's a lot smaller than FredRydr's super mini-collection.