Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: mini collections...

Thanks
    Thanked 6,426 Times in 2,518 Posts

Default Re: mini collections...

Quote Originally Posted by curtd0g View Post
    If anything I think I would want to do a vacumatic collections of all the different celluloid colors!
    You better be prepared to build another room on your house for such a collection when you try to cover all the variations within each color. Those who attempt a "complete" collection of those will be well beyond the realm of "mini-".

Fred
    Last edited by FredRydr; October 30th, 2016 at 10:48 AM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to FredRydr For This Useful Post:

Jon Szanto (October 30th, 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,067 Times in 4,019 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by FredRydr View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by curtd0g View Post
    If anything I think I would want to do a vacumatic collections of all the different celluloid colors!
    You better be prepared to build another room on your house for such a collection when you try to cover all the variations within each color. Those who attempt a "complete" collection of those will be well beyond the realm of "mini-".

Fred
    Indeed. A brief survey of even Tony Fischier's parkercollector.com would put to rest any misconceptions about the (small) size of a Vac gathering...
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks
    Thanked 6,714 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by usk15 View Post
    2 of my mini collections

And some flat top pens:
    This guy wants to join your collection
    - Will
    Unique and restored vintage pens: Redeem Pens

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to penwash For This Useful Post:

farmdogfan (January 17th, 2017), Sailor Kenshin (December 23rd, 2016)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by penwash View Post
    This guy wants to join your collection

I've got some blue brothers for my little collection!

Thanks

Man, so jealous of all these awesome collections! And geez, most of these "mini" collections are more than my whole ranged collection! xP

Thanks

Oh boy...

-d
    David R. Isaacson, MD

http://www.vacumania.com : Sales site for guaranteed, restored collectible pens.

The Fountain Pen Board /FPnuts : Archived Message Board with focus on vintage.

The Fountain Pen Journal: The new glossy full-color print magazine, published/edited by iconic fountain pen author Paul Erano.

Facebook pen group "Fountain Pens"/FPnuts: Davey's casual Facebook group for collectible pens.
    31000 members and growing. World's heftiest daily vintage pen eye candy

9. The Following User Says Thank You to david i For This Useful Post:

christof (November 6th, 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,222 Times in 598 Posts

I no longer truly collect pens, but my love of Pelikan 400s has brought me to permanently having three of them around:
    IMAG0069.jpgIMAG0067.jpg
    Will
    If my p.m box is full, feel free to email me at dabantur@gmail.com.

11. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to fountainpenkid For This Useful Post:

amk (November 5th, 2016), catbert (November 2nd, 2016), christof (November 2nd, 2016), Cyril (August 5th, 2023), da vinci (November 3rd, 2016), farmdogfan (January 17th, 2017), FredRydr (November 2nd, 2016), JapaG (April 24th, 2017), jodylud (October 31st, 2017), usk15 (November 7th, 2016)

Thanks

I'm pretty good about adhering to my focus on vintage celluloid pens with chrome trim, so you might say that about 7/8 of my collection is a mini-collection of this theme over different brands. Here's a shot of just my 3rd tier Sheaffer's (mostly Juniors and Sheaffer sub-brands):

Still searching for a Junior in silver pearl striated, a truncated junior in black + black & blue, and a WASP Lizard Skin pen. Picked up a nice grey Addipoint in a snakeskin-like pattern just this week, and know there are several others with white trim. Am I leaving out any other models/colors?
    Last edited by popcod; November 2nd, 2016 at 06:48 PM.
    aka Estragon (FPN); popcodswallop (Reddit)

WANTED: Vintage Pens with White Trim! –> Sheaffer: OS Balance w/ reverse trim (grey/red vein); Balance (grey/red fleck) | First-Yr Crest (silver cap); Canadian Balance 5-30 (roseglow, ebonized pearl, green) | Waterman: Lady Patricia (persian) | Wahl-Eversharp: Half Coronet (rhodium cap); Doric (Cathay); Skyline (SS/Sterling Cap) | Rebadged Parkers from Diamond Medal and Webster (silver web, pinstripe, etc.)

13. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to popcod For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

amk (November 5th, 2016), catbert (November 2nd, 2016), christof (November 2nd, 2016), da vinci (November 3rd, 2016), fountainpenkid (November 2nd, 2016), FredRydr (November 2nd, 2016), JapaG (April 24th, 2017), jodylud (October 31st, 2017), Jon Szanto (November 4th, 2016), Lady Onogaro (November 2nd, 2016), penwash (November 2nd, 2016), usk15 (November 3rd, 2016), VertOlive (January 12th, 2017)

Thanks

The rest of my Sheaffer's with chrome trim. A couple Triumphs but mostly Balances with some interesting, reverse-trim Canadian models on the left. The cap on the grey marble OS pen is currently with Zorn for re-plating, but the plating on all the others is original.

And a boxed OS Balance set in grey marble. The plating is simply immaculate on these, and the matching chrome accents on the box are a nice touch:

Last edited by popcod; November 4th, 2016 at 04:00 PM.

WANTED: Vintage Pens with White Trim! –> Sheaffer: OS Balance w/ reverse trim (grey/red vein); Balance (grey/red fleck) | First-Yr Crest (silver cap); Canadian Balance 5-30 (roseglow, ebonized pearl, green) | Waterman: Lady Patricia (persian) | Wahl-Eversharp: Half Coronet (rhodium cap); Doric (Cathay); Skyline (SS/Sterling Cap) | Rebadged Parkers from Diamond Medal and Webster (silver web, pinstripe, etc.)

15. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to popcod For This Useful Post:

amk (November 25th, 2016), christof (November 5th, 2016), da vinci (November 7th, 2016), FredRydr (November 4th, 2016), JapaG (April 24th, 2017), Jon Szanto (November 4th, 2016), Replicant (April 9th, 2018), usk15 (November 7th, 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,889 Times in 1,434 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by david i View Post
    Oh boy...

-d
    David
    Good to see you here. Specially because I see you as the godfather of this thread.
    It would be great to see some of your fantastic mini collections. But please keep in mind that great doesen't mean valuable or expensive in any case. Also from cheap pens can be built cool mini collections. For example, this Safari selection is a personal favourite of mine:

I love them as much as I love my Pelikan 100's!

So please be generous with other, more humble collectors as you are. Thank you.
    C.
    Last edited by christof; November 6th, 2016 at 12:46 PM.

17. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to christof For This Useful Post:

catbert (November 6th, 2016), Cyril (August 5th, 2023), da vinci (November 7th, 2016), datainadequate (November 6th, 2016), jodylud (October 31st, 2017), Lady Onogaro (November 6th, 2016), popcod (December 24th, 2016), Sailor Kenshin (December 23rd, 2016), soot (January 8th, 2017), VertOlive (January 12th, 2017)

Thanks

I am not nearly so envious of the Lamy Safari collection as I am of the tray!

My mini collections of 'cheap' pens include Waterman Forum - a plastic pen that I seem to remember cost around £9 when I was buying them new in the 1980s. I have thirty and haven't even scratched the surface of the different colours. As for my Sheaffer No-Nonsense... I've decided that will have to be just an accumulation, rather than a true mini-collection, as I don't think anyone knows how many variations there are; though I do hope, one day, I'll be able to put together all the 'Old Timer' varieties.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by amk View Post
    I am not nearly so envious of the Lamy Safari collection as I am of the tray!
    In this case, I guess that you already have the key-colors. Why not show a pic of your mini collection?
    C.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to christof For This Useful Post:

akapulko2020 (December 28th, 2016)

Thanks

I got the cheap Watermans out of their box this afternoon;

They are some of them rather 'user-grade-, and one is a ballpoint, but don't they make a nice show? All from flea markets except the fluted metal one, which was a Christmas gift from my partner's sister-in-law, and the blue marbled pen on the left which I have owned since I bought it new in the 1980s.

I'm afraid my Lamy collections are all put away in a big chest right now owing to the advent of new, and very mischievous, kittens.

22. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to amk For This Useful Post:

akapulko2020 (December 28th, 2016), christof (November 7th, 2016), datainadequate (November 7th, 2016), fountainpenkid (November 7th, 2016), Jon Szanto (November 7th, 2016), usk15 (November 7th, 2016)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by usk15 View Post
    2 of my mini collections

First Parker IM ballpoint pens:

And some flat top pens:
    Sweet display racks! I will be incorporating this idea into my newly acquired roll top desk. Somehow. You would laugh if you saw the state of the desk.

Thanks

I'm sure I have the cheapest mini-collection of everyone LOL but I don't care, I enjoy them! xP

My Chinese collection, haha. Mostly Jinhaos, two Baoers (there's another still in the mail somewhere), and a Yiren. All of them write pretty well, though the 507 (Eight Horses) seemed either incredibly fine, or it's slightly off. Only 3 of them have been inked so far, the others (including the Baoer) were only dip-tested. I'll likely try experimenting with some of the nibs once I've got my stuff to do so.

25. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Monkey For This Useful Post:

akapulko2020 (December 28th, 2016), amk (November 25th, 2016), christof (November 25th, 2016), da vinci (December 13th, 2016), farmdogfan (January 17th, 2017), Sailor Kenshin (December 23rd, 2016)

Thanks

That's interesting, Monkey, you have a slender version of the 'Pearl windows', whereas I have a monster that seems to be nearly 2 cm diameter (I'm sure it's really less, but it *is* undeniably chunky). I can see where I have a gap i my collection :-)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by amk View Post
    That's interesting, Monkey, you have a slender version of the 'Pearl windows', whereas I have a monster that seems to be nearly 2 cm diameter (I'm sure it's really less, but it *is* undeniably chunky). I can see where I have a gap i my collection :-)
    Ohh is yours possibly a 650? Gold color clip/bands? I do believe that one is fatter than the 8812/8802 (no idea which number it's meant to be, it and the other color styles in the same model have both numbers, don't know what's right!). If you just search "jinhao seashell" you'll turn them up, though, lol.

Thanks

Here's another one:

now I have all the Aerometric colors plus a Flighter and a Signet. Next should be a Presidential...

C.

29. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to christof For This Useful Post:

akapulko2020 (December 28th, 2016), amk (November 25th, 2016), catbert (November 25th, 2016), da vinci (December 13th, 2016), farmdogfan (January 17th, 2017), Hawk (December 22nd, 2016), popcod (December 12th, 2016), Replicant (April 9th, 2018)

Thanks

Just recently "completed" my mini-collection of 30s Parkers with chrome trim. My goal was to own an example of all the patterns catalogued with minimal discoloration. There's a couple of off-catalogue pens here and others that aren't represented. I'm missing some silver pearl Vacs as well (Speedline, Maxima, etc.). But I think I've finally come to a point at which I'll no longer be hunting Parkers actively

Last edited by popcod; December 12th, 2016 at 01:04 PM.

31. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to popcod For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

akapulko2020 (December 28th, 2016), CaptainRon (December 13th, 2016), catbert (December 12th, 2016), christof (December 12th, 2016), da vinci (December 20th, 2016), datainadequate (December 12th, 2016), farmdogfan (December 13th, 2016), Hawk (December 22nd, 2016), Jon Szanto (December 12th, 2016), Monkey (December 20th, 2016), penwash (December 12th, 2016), Replicant (April 9th, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,067 Times in 4,019 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by popcod View Post
    Just recently "completed" my mini-collection of 30s Parkers with chrome trim.
    That, my friend, is a very worth collection.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin