Thread: Dealing with shaky hands

Thanks

Default Dealing with shaky hands

Lately I've found my handwriting to get worse and worse.
    How do you all deal with aging and increasingly shaky hands.
    I love my fountain pens but my writing is just horrid.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,426 Times in 2,518 Posts

Default Re: Dealing with shaky hands

Collect typewriters, instead?

I find that my cursive italic broad stubs disguise poor handwriting better than round tips, but more than anything, patience and concentration is required to make up for deteriorating writing. There's no easy answer to this.

Fred

3. The Following User Says Thank You to FredRydr For This Useful Post:

Chuasam (October 19th, 2016)

Thanks

I have a friend who is getting shaky hands - possibly early Parkinson's. He says that shadow boxing helps him a lot. He does jabs and uppercuts and that kind of thing, but also wide and wild haymakers are good too. Sometimes he puts on boxing gloves and his son puts on padded target gloves for him to hit. Says he doesn't know why, but it works. His hands steady down after a bout.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Paddler For This Useful Post:

Chuasam (October 19th, 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,067 Times in 4,019 Posts

I'm also sensitive to this, and it is affected me in ways in my profession (musician). I agree that a larger nib, and often some form of stub/italic, masks a bit of this (still a tricky solution, being left-handed, too!). Honestly, though, the best thing for me is to concentrate on relaxing and slooooooooow down the speed of my writing. Start at the biggest movements (arm) and keep slowing everything down until you are at finger movements. In time, it seems to help - at least for me.

On the other hand, there are underlying medical issues, and I would consult not only with your primary care physician, but see if you can't get some consultation with a neurologist or two, because these are all symptoms of issues with the nervous system. Many, many kinds of tremors, reasons for them springing to being, and methods of treatment.

For starters, though... relax. Try to do hand writing only when you have the time and can be patient and gentle with yourself.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

Chuasam (October 20th, 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 1,647 Posts

Agreed on the use of broader nibs. When I write with a fine nib, it looks dangerously psychotic.
    "Nolo esse salus sine vobis ...” —St. Augustine

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VertOlive For This Useful Post:

Chuasam (October 20th, 2016), Jon Szanto (October 20th, 2016)

Thanks

My hands get a bit shaky when trying to concentrate too hard. My right hand (writing hand) seems to be OK while writing, but I have trouble eating soup as my hand starts to shake when paying attention and actively trying NOT to spill soup off the spoon. Likewise I suck at photography because my left hand shakes worse while concentrating and trying not to shake the camera. The longer I'm stationary and trying to frame a shot the more likely it'll be a blurry mess, even with compensated lenses. I do best when I don't think about and don't notice that my hand might be shaking.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Scooby921 For This Useful Post:

Chuasam (October 20th, 2016)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scooby921 View Post
    My hands get a bit shaky when trying to concentrate too hard. My right hand (writing hand) seems to be OK while writing, but I have trouble eating soup as my hand starts to shake when paying attention and actively trying NOT to spill soup off the spoon. Likewise I suck at photography because my left hand shakes worse while concentrating and trying not to shake the camera. The longer I'm stationary and trying to frame a shot the more likely it'll be a blurry mess, even with compensated lenses. I do best when I don't think about and don't notice that my hand might be shaking.
    Rest the palm of your left hand on your right shoulder, use your forearm as the support for your camera. Either that or rest the lens in the crook of your arm.
    Frame the shot, relax, breathe, take the shot at the moment of maximum exhale when your lungs are empty.
    I'm a professional photographer.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chuasam For This Useful Post:

datainadequate (October 20th, 2016), Jon Szanto (October 20th, 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,067 Times in 4,019 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Chuasam View Post
    Rest the palm of your left hand on your right shoulder, use your forearm as the support for your camera. Either that or rest the lens in the crook of your arm.
    Frame the shot, relax, breathe, take the shot at the moment of maximum exhale when your lungs are empty.
    I'm a professional photographer.
    Thank you!! My tremors are mostly in my left hand, so I, too, have issues holding the camera steady. This is a fabulous bit of info.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin